Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Are you allowed to look at opposing characters special abilities?

  1. #1

    Are you allowed to look at opposing characters special abilities?

    Hi! I'm new to dicemasters and have a question that may seem obvious, yet the answer isn't in the rule book. It is: can your opponent look at your character cards and their special abilities and vice versa?

    I'm a seasoned magic and other CCG player so I naturally default to this. My friend that I play this game with tho wants to play by the rules.

    Do you keep your characters abilities hidden until combat happens and surprise your opponent? Or are u able to view the character cards preemptively before you attack or block?

    Since it's not in the rule book, can you all just chime on how you play? I really wanna play again!!

    Thanks!!

  2. #2
    Justice League rule book page 25

    In official play, reveal all the cards and dice you chose at the same time, simultaneously as your opponent.

  3. #3
    There is no hidden information in Dice Masters. All details can be visual seen, or deduced, by both players at all times. In Dice Masters, the only things you don't know are you opponents plan and how the dice are going to roll.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    There is no hidden information in Dice Masters. All details can be visual seen, or deduced, by both players at all times. In Dice Masters, the only things you don't know are you opponents plan and how the dice are going to roll.
    This is something that really opens up the possibilities for play testing ahead of time. I think it's great that two friends can sit down with two completely different (or similar) teams and "table talk" on strategies and possibilites of the current or future turns. Although nothing can really be discussed until the dice are rolled and rerolled. Keep rolling UberGuber, we're glad to have ya!

  5. #5
    Little off topic:

    Here is a variant to try to add some mystique (pardon the pun) to your game:

    Each player starts the match with their 8 team cards face down and the respective dice hidden (say, in another bag or behind a screen). When a player purchases (or brings into play) a die, they turn over that applicable character/action card, revealing it to their opponent. Players can decide to keep the unpurchased dice hidden, or place them on the applicable card once it is turned over.

    We are going to try this variant around the time of Halloween.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by archivist View Post
    Little off topic:

    Here is a variant to try to add some mystique (pardon the pun) to your game:

    Each player starts the match with their 8 team cards face down and the respective dice hidden (say, in another bag or behind a screen). When a player purchases (or brings into play) a die, they turn over that applicable character/action card, revealing it to their opponent. Players can decide to keep the unpurchased dice hidden, or place them on the applicable card once it is turned over.

    We are going to try this variant around the time of Halloween.
    keeps globals from being used until card is purchased from. I like it!
    doing the same with BAC's?

    Downfall is that it's only fully undisclosed for first match.

  7. #7
    BACs are community property, so they would be visible at the start of the game. Globals can also prompt a card reveal or cannot be used until a die is purchased from that card (gives you a reason to use the 5 cost version of Prof X).

    To prevent disclosure, player pairs must play with "screens" (e.g. a piece of cardboard) between other player pairs and can't leave their seat until all but the final matches are completed.

  8. #8
    As far as I am aware, the only thing you are not allowed to look at is the current contents of your opponent's dice bag. However - as @Shadowmeld said, you can usually deduce the contents so long as you keep track of the board state and your opponent's purchases.

    Otherwise you may, at any time, pick up a card to read it over regardless of its owner. Although, I think doing this excessively would earn you a disruptive play warning from a judge. As a courtesy, it's usually not nice to just gnab an opponent's card without asking first.

    Some players play with their character cards facing the opponent instead of themselves (seen this in MTG as well) to reduce the amount of card grabbing.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    There is no hidden information in Dice Masters. All details can be visual seen, or deduced, by both players at all times. In Dice Masters, the only things you don't know are you opponents plan and how the dice are going to roll.
    Technically you could figure out how the dice were going to roll if you had a lot of time and knew the inital conditions for everything, right? I think Wizkids needs to add a `Neither player may consult with a mathematician during gameplay`rule.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    Technically you could figure out how the dice were going to roll if you had a lot of time and knew the inital conditions for everything, right? I think Wizkids needs to add a `Neither player may consult with a mathematician during gameplay`rule.
    No. Quantum behaviour is random. God does play dice (masters).

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    No. Quantum behaviour is random. God does play dice (masters).
    CONFIRMED

    http://imgur.com/hM6zyH1

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	god play dice_masters.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	206.0 KB 
ID:	3207
    Last edited by Osprey; 09-22-2015 at 06:18 PM.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    Whatever that is it doesn't display on my iPod.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    Whatever that is it doesn't display on my iPod.
    Attachment added because I remembered that some people use mobile devices.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •