Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the value of the RDW prizes an issue?

Is the value of the RDW prizes an issue?

I'm afraid it could potentially push collectors, and with Iron Fist possibly even potential competitive players. It's hard to say though since there is currently only 1 of each on Ebay with complete die sets with both being impossible to put together via other auctions. The frustrating part is that some areas (see the entirety of Iowa) had no RDW at all so as an event it basically rewarded you for living in certain areas.

Currently Iron Fist is at $132.50 which is $33 per die.

I'm hoping that future events will afford a greater amount of these cards/dice being injected into the market. The assumption being that WK printed a ton more than they actually ended up sending out. Like many WKO cards, they'll probably be handed out in future events as participation prizes and the like. The fact that they are that expensive, when they are participation prizes no less, is crazy.

I dislike the exclusivity of the RDW, when OP's are already a pretty premium occurrence. Honestly, how many stores actually run OP's? Of those, how many actually qualified for RDW?

I don't know what is more crazy. The fact that Iron Fist is going for that much, or that someone is paying for it.

The sad thing is I might end up being the idiot paying that much for it. WizKids has pulled similar shenanigans in Clix. The fact that this might be the only way to get an Iron Fist with 4 dice for it makes me super tempted to throw a bit more money at it. I originally bid 100, didn't expect to get outbid.

Of course it's a problem. Making the RDW a big exclusive kit has made it incredibly difficult to get ahold of, and it punishes people for living in certain areas. I don't care what someone's justification is, especially with the Iowa issue you brought up.

I can't believe I just spent $165 (after shipping) on a card and some dice. It kinda makes me feel a bit sick, but at the same time I was going to either regret not having Iron Fist or I was going to regret not having the money I spent on it. I can earn more money, I doubt I can earn another Iron Fist.

One thing is for sure, there were too many cards put out all at once. 10 promos at one time is insane.

With RDW events scheduled into October the prices will drop as more of them are out in the wild, just like the chase SR's.

I believe this is a good thing for several reasons:

First, it wasn't insanely difficult for stores to be approved for the kits as some have suggested. I know many stores that have rarely, or o only just recently, run dice masters events who got approved for the kits. Stores who were left out of this round likely didn't try (I know there are a few exceptions but they appear to be just that, exceptions).

Second, the popularity of these cards and dice on the secondary market will make future, similar events much more sought after and highly attended. That will result in more stores seeking to participate, more players attending and spending money in stores, and more opportunities for the dice masters community to make connections with other players.

Third, for the naysayers who believe @Scum paid too much, I disagree. This card is THAT GOOD. It's tier one and this is the only way to get it and it's dice. Is that not ideal for a single competitive card? Sure, that's true. Fortunately, this card isn't a "win you the game" card like Tsarina or Gobby. But if this one card results in more widespread availability of future similar promos and events, then I believe it is more than worth it.

I was under the impression that Iron Fist card will be in the Spider Man set, sooo...that would be unfortunate if it's not the case

Quote Originally Posted by Camalott View Post
    Why does Iron Fist have a level 3 burst face?
    Probably for the same reason this guy did: http://dicemastersdb.com/catalog/marvel/avengers-vs-x-men/wolverine/

Just ignore this rubbish with all the prices. It will settle down. And at some point you will know, that Nuka Cola has more value than money!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SlapsterMcFlash View Post
    I'm all for it.

Nobody said you have to have any of these cards, and only two are actually different cards, not just card with different art. I don't see Iron Fist as a must have to be competitive.
    But what happens when it IS a card that you must have to be competitive? Right now everyone can spend a buck and has a chance of getting a great SR. I play casually so it's not something that will keep me from the game, but if the winners always end up being the guy who could drop 200 bucks on the card and dice, is that any fun?

Quote Originally Posted by Joepancreas View Post
    But what happens when it IS a card that you must have to be competitive? Right now everyone can spend a buck and has a chance of getting a great SR. I play casually so it's not something that will keep me from the game, but if the winners always end up being the guy who could drop 200 bucks on the card and dice, is that any fun?
    That's a hypothetical question. Besides, cards are what fit to your style. Iron Fist inst that big of a deal (not to me at least). That supposed person "Who can drop 200 bucks on a card" isnt relevant. He bought a good card........and he used it. And what? Iron fist doesnt grant you instant win either.

The problem isn't hypothetical though. This is a t1 card that cost me 160 dollars and exists in very limited quantity. If I go win an event with this card and I was the only person at said event with access to this card that means I had an unfair advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Joepancreas View Post
    But... they didn't make cards like that that are exclusive, and haven't yet... they've all just been fun, but playable, but not OP cards, like they should be.

Why are we creating problems that don't exist?

And seriously... if you paid that much for 4 Iron fist, it's your money obviously to spend as you see fit, I hate when people "get mad" at other people for buying designer clothing that's expensive, etc..., but it isn't something necessary to be competitive, and that's just crazy to spend.

Because you (Whoever it was) spent that, you've helped to solidify that as a fair price. You're complaining, but could have also waited until there were other auctions, etc..., but by buying you, you kind of helped to create that pricing in the future - as a precedent.

Quote Originally Posted by SlapsterMcFlash View Post
    Because you (Whoever it was) spent that, you've helped to solidify that as a fair price. You're complaining, but could have also waited until there were other auctions, etc..., but by buying you, you kind of helped to create that pricing in the future - as a precedent.
    I hope I didn't. I'd prefer the price of cards to not be 160 dollars. It was the only immediately available way to get it, and I did it because there is guarantee that another will get listed in the US since the RDW events that haven't happened yet are outside the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Scum View Post
    The problem isn't hypothetical though. This is a t1 card that cost me 160 dollars and exists in very limited quantity. If I go win an event with this card and I was the only person at said event with access to this card that means I had an unfair advantage.
    That's why I am okay with this. You cannot "win" an event with this card. It's a tier one support card.

But even then, I'm with Slapster here: This was widely available and the fact that the secondary market is so hot to trot for it will only make such cards more widely available in the future.

Completely agree with everything Indy Mon says...except that I do think @Scum paid too much. That is just personal preference though...I would never pay that much for a single card and dice. Not that much of a completionist collector.

As long as these types of cards are not hugely Meta impacting cards that become the next "Gobby"...I'm totally cool with it and it is only good for the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy Mon View Post
    I believe this is a good thing for several reasons:

First, it wasn't insanely difficult for stores to be approved for the kits as some have suggested. I know many stores that have rarely, or o only just recently, run dice masters events who got approved for the kits. Stores who were left out of this round likely didn't try (I know there are a few exceptions but they appear to be just that, exceptions).

Second, the popularity of these cards and dice on the secondary market will make future, similar events much more sought after and highly attended. That will result in more stores seeking to participate, more players attending and spending money in stores, and more opportunities for the dice masters community to make connections with other players.

Third, for the naysayers who believe @Scum paid too much, I disagree. This card is THAT GOOD. It's tier one and this is the only way to get it and it's dice. Is that not ideal for a single competitive card? Sure, that's true. Fortunately, this card isn't a "win you the game" card like Tsarina or Gobby. But if this one card results in more widespread availability of future similar promos and events, then I believe it is more than worth it.

Honestly, I don't think there will ever be a card that simply wins you the game without any kind of support requirements. If there is ever a card that will win the game without bringing any other cards or dice it will likely never be tournament legal.

I also do not believe that there will ever be a card printed (except maybe in jest) that does not have at least one comparable counter to it - making the card useless (or of reduced usefulness) in that situation. If the meta dictates that there is this new high-end card out there, we're going to find the card that will beat it. Of course - what if THAT card is also super rare and super expensive?

Well, eventually every game must draw a line between the casual and competitive player. That line is almost always in relation to how much you're willing to spend. Or how lucky you are. Or both.

Just look at MTG's Legacy/Vintage/Modern. We're headed there eventually. All games get there eventually.

If nothing else, this topic has reinforced the idea that I need to get off of my lazy rear and get my LGS to start supporting DM so we can have OP's and RDW's.

BTW, funniest series of posts in TRP's history (sorry, but it's true :P ) :

I'm afraid it could potentially push collectors, and with Iron Fist possibly even potential competitive players. It's hard to say though since there is currently only 1 of each on Ebay with complete die sets with both being impossible to put together via other auctions. The frustrating part is that some areas (see the entirety of Iowa) had no RDW at all so as an event it basically rewarded you for living in certain areas.

Currently Iron Fist is at $132.50 which is $33 per die.

The sad thing is I might end up being the idiot paying that much for it. WizKids has pulled similar shenanigans in Clix. The fact that this might be the only way to get an Iron Fist with 4 dice for it makes me super tempted to throw a bit more money at it. I originally bid 100, didn't expect to get outbid.

I can't believe I just spent $165 (after shipping) on a card and some dice. It kinda makes me feel a bit sick, but at the same time I was going to either regret not having Iron Fist or I was going to regret not having the money I spent on it. I can earn more money, I doubt I can earn another Iron Fist.

Quote Originally Posted by Camalott View Post

Just look at MTG's Legacy/Vintage/Modern. We're headed there eventually. All games get there eventually.
    I cannot wait. That will be when I get back in to purchading/playing on a regular basis.