Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Dice color variation

  1. #1

    Dice color variation

    I have purchased Avengers vs. X-men, Uncanny, and Justice League booster packs, and have noticed that I have a few characters who probably come from different sets, and have different colored dice, but all of the symbols and numbers on the dice are exactly the same.

    For example, I have Iron Man Philanthropist and Iron Man Upright. The Philanthropist flavor have yellow dice with red markings, while the Upright flavor has brown dice with orange markings. Is it considered "legal" to mix and match these dice, or would it be considered a violation to do so, considering that the numbers and symbols are exactly the same?

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Redsavina View Post
    I have purchased Avengers vs. X-men, Uncanny, and Justice League booster packs, and have noticed that I have a few characters who probably come from different sets, and have different colored dice, but all of the symbols and numbers on the dice are exactly the same.

    For example, I have Iron Man Philanthropist and Iron Man Upright. The Philanthropist flavor have yellow dice with red markings, while the Upright flavor has brown dice with orange markings. Is it considered "legal" to mix and match these dice, or would it be considered a violation to do so, considering that the numbers and symbols are exactly the same?
    In casual play it's probably fine. But I think in big official tournaments you need dice matching the card (with YGO) I heard a rumor you only need one dice matching the serial number maybe someone can confirm?

  3. #3
    Taken from the Dice Masters Yu-Gi-Oh Rule Book - Page 22:
    Serial Numbers:
    Each Monster and Action die has a serial number on one side; this number matches the serial number on the first die face in the lower left-hand corner of the monster die data card. At least one of the dice used with any monster die data card must have a serial number that matches the monster die data card.
    Note that this only affects Yu-Gi-Oh dice. No other set currently has serial numbers implemented.

    It is not tournament legal to play dice of a color or configuration that does not exactly match the card graphic to which the die is intended to be played against.

    Taken from the Dice Masters Tournament Rules page: (as of Feb 2015)
    3.3
    Card/die legality – matching items: All Dice Masters dice used for tournament play must match their characters or actions in color as well as design.
    As Kennedy said, casual play can house rule otherwise - so long as both players agree in advance.

  4. #4

  5. #5

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Redsavina View Post
    I have purchased Avengers vs. X-men, Uncanny, and Justice League booster packs, and have noticed that I have a few characters who probably come from different sets, and have different colored dice, but all of the symbols and numbers on the dice are exactly the same.

    For example, I have Iron Man Philanthropist and Iron Man Upright. The Philanthropist flavor have yellow dice with red markings, while the Upright flavor has brown dice with orange markings. Is it considered "legal" to mix and match these dice, or would it be considered a violation to do so, considering that the numbers and symbols are exactly the same?
    For official big tournaments you need the YGO serial number die to fit to the card.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by VastSpartan View Post
    For official big tournaments you need the YGO serial number die to fit to the card.
    According to the Yu-Gi-Oh Rulebook for Tournament play, Only one die must match the serial number. So if I am playing Ring of Magnetism Action Attraction, only 1 die needs the serial#63, the other two can be either of the other rings as well. So say #35, #35, and #63 would be a legal combination.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Wargfn View Post
    According to the Yu-Gi-Oh Rulebook for Tournament play, Only one die must match the serial number. So if I am playing Ring of Magnetism Action Attraction, only 1 die needs the serial#63, the other two can be either of the other rings as well. So say #35, #35, and #63 would be a legal combination.
    So are you saying that it's OK to use one exact matching die, and then different colorations for the rest of the character dice, as long as the numbers and symbols match?

  9. #9
    Oh, just looked up the 2/2015 tournament rules. It specifically states that:

    3.3
    Card/die legality – matching items: All Dice Masters dice used for tournament play must match their characters or actions in color as well as design.

    So you have to use the EXACT dice that match the character card.

    Why did Dice Masters create different color combinations of dice when the stats are exactly the same for different versions of the same character? That seems to be a sneaky way for them to have you spend more money on the game. I can accept changing the color if different versions had different stats, but the examples which I already own have exactly the same stats, and in my opinion, those dice should be legal to use.

  10. #10
    While I won't argue the perspective of it being a cash grab, all I can say is if you buy a Gravity Feed for a set, you're probably going to get a full play set of dice for said set.

    I buy two Gravity Feeds and a Starter Kit for every set. With very few exceptions, I've been able to generate two full play-sets of dice for every character (within that set).

    As well, most identical dice are for cards that most people will never play in a constructed format - or they realistically do not need a full play set of dice for them.

    Is anyone really going to buy 5 Hulk: Green Goliath or Jade Giants in a single match?

  11. #11
    This is particularly important for Batman (not that he's getting a lot of tournament play, but still). While all his dice have the same logo and stats, they're solid and darker-yellow in the JL set, and marbled and lighter-yellow in the WoL set. IMO, a really stupid decision on WK's part, but that's neither here nor there.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Redsavina View Post
    So are you saying that it's OK to use one exact matching die, and then different colorations for the rest of the character dice, as long as the numbers and symbols match?
    No I am saying it s okay to use one Action Atraction serialized die with two Sidekick attraction serialized die in YGO.

  13. #13
    Whichever way WizKids did it it would have created complaints:

    If they had kep the colour combinations the same when the energy types and stats did not change then people would have complained that they had to buy dice that they didn't need because they already had a complete play set from a previous set.

    If they had changed the energy types and/or stats without changing the colour combinations people would have complained that it was confusing and too easy to grab the wrong dice.

    So they chose to vary the colour combinations from set to set on repeated characters, and that allowed them to also change the energy types and stats.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •