Thread: The Amazing Keywords - Progress with Wording

The Amazing Keywords - Progress with Wording

There is a new article out on Game Trade Magazine that includes a reasonable amount of spoilers for The Amazing Spider-man set:

http://www.gametrademagazine.com/Hom...ticleID=168781

The biggest thing to get from this is the inclusion of several new keyword mechanics:

Ally - This character counts as a sidekick while in the field.

Underdog - This ability can only be used while your opponent has more character dice in the field than you do.

Aftershock - Presently undefined, but likely triggers when the associated character die is knocked out (based on Sandman's ability).

This is great progress for the game and shows that WizKids is working on making the game more expandable and accessible. Having more keywords is going to make effects much easier to intuit and allow for more intricate interactions than was previously possible. I can't say enough about how much I'm impressed by this development and I think this is the first sign we're seeing of WizKids getting serious about fixing the game and putting it together in a state that can last the test of time. I can't wait to see the rest of the set and I'm really looking forward to how it all comes together.

(Also, is there a Drax fanclub? That ability on those stats with that cost? Sign me up!)

Quote Originally Posted by KennedyHawk View Post
    Well now, I hadn't seen that, but it's still important to draw attention to the online article. Not only does it include new spoilers, but it also has definitions involved. Add that to the fact that we get distinct images, and it's easily worth its own post.

In order of appearance, here's the full spoilers from the article and did I mention that I love Drax?

Name:  168781_761420_7.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  19.2 KB Name:  168781_761422_9.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  17.2 KB Name:  168781_761421_8.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  19.1 KB Name:  168781_761425_12.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  14.4 KB Name:  168781_761426_13.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  17.4 KB Name:  168781_761437_15.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  11.7 KB Name:  168781_761423_10.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  20.0 KB Click image for larger version. 

Name:	168781_761419_6.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	3251 Name:  168781_761424_11.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  17.9 KB

Yup,

The same article is linked in the first thread I posted up there.

Quote Originally Posted by SlapsterMcFlash View Post
    I feel like Aftershock is just going to be "at the end each attack step" or something. Not exactly based on KO'd dice.
    It could be, but based upon Sandman, it seems like it has to do with a character leaving the field. That said, it could also have to do with a character ramming in unblocked and that would also fit with the idea of an "aftershock" so I don't think it's settled what exactly it's going to be.

Green Goblin: Rotting Goblin

Gimme gimme gimme gimme

Hulk's Aftershock text could provide several clues, as it contains the word 'sacrifice' which we haven't seen in Dice Masters yet, and also 'another.' So I have to assume that Aftershock involves something getting KO'd/leaving the field based on that.

I think Aftershock might be triggered by dealing combat damage to an opponent. Hulk has an ability like that in AoU that lets him return to the field after damaging a player. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Necromanticer View Post
    I think this is the first sign we're seeing of WizKids getting serious about fixing the game and putting it together in a state that can last the test of time.
    To my mind we first saw signs of that in AoU, with the increased use of symbols in the card text, and I also see signs of it in WoL too, though not so obvious ones, such as the more consistent use of things like "active characters".

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    To my mind we first saw signs of that in AoU, with the increased use of symbols in the card text, and I also see signs of it in WoL too, though not so obvious ones, such as the more consistent use of things like "active characters".
    That definitely went some way to inspire hope, but with characters like Scarecrow still kicking around, it seemed like a half-hearted endeavor. Now that I'm seeing a suite of legitimate keywords that will have explicit definitions and overall orderly and clean looking card text, I'm impressed. Instead of the usual word salads, they're cutting back and making things concise and universal and that's the biggest step I've seen them take thusfar.

Quote Originally Posted by Necromanticer View Post
    That definitely went some way to inspire hope, but with characters like Scarecrow still kicking around, it seemed like a half-hearted endeavor. Now that I'm seeing a suite of legitimate keywords that will have explicit definitions and overall orderly and clean looking card text, I'm impressed. Instead of the usual word salads, they're cutting back and making things concise and universal and that's the biggest step I've seen them take thusfar.
    Yeah, for sure. But I expect we will have unclear wording on cards for some time to come still. They cannot keyword every variation on every possible ability, and the English language is beautifully ambiguous by nature, so it is inevitable that these problems will persist to some degree. All the can do is minimise that degree.