Thread: Loki - Illusionist

Loki - Illusionist

I have some general questions about how to play this card. With the dice I've controlled is there any benefit to attacking with it? If I take with it and it is knocked out by my opponents does it still get to resolve it's effect?

The card effect reads: When fielded, take control of an opposing character. At the end of the turn, knock out that character (place it in your opponent's prep area); it deals damage equal to its attack to your opponent.

I am interested to see how other people would play this. But for now, going to assume that if a character is knocked out, control ends as it is no longer in the Field Zone or Attack Area. The benefit of being able to attack, is to also knock out another character on the opponents side, then if the controlled character survives dealing damage to your opponent. In the end, attacking with a controlled character is seldom risky as either it is knocked out or survives to do damage. Just remember that if a controlled character pass through Unblocked that it ALSO goes to the Prep Area of your opponent via the KO. (War of Light Rulebook, pg23, first paragraph)

The problem with attacking with the die is that if it is blocked and knocked out it doesn't do the damage does it?

I say ,It wouldnt, if your enemy KOs him. because of 2 Reason

First Until the End of the Turn is not in the Attack Step. It is in the Cleanup Step. If your controlled character got KOd in Attack step he goes Prep Area.
    5. CLEANUP STEP
    Characters that were KO’d (by damage from an attacker, damage from
    a blocker, or some other effect during the Assign Damage Step) are
    sent to the Prep Area.
    Characters that blocked or were blocked but not KO’d return to the
    Field Zone.
    All damage to all dice is cleared. All effects end (except “While active”
    and “effects that occur at the end of turn”). Actions still in a player’s
    Reserve Pool move to the Used Pile (unless they’re on an energy face).
    Only dice showing energy faces can remain in the Reserve Pool.
    The turn ends. Move all of your dice from your Out of Play Zone to
    your Used Pile.
    Second(and thats what i only believe, no facts). That you have to KO that character as a cost to pay for trigger this effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Red_phoenyx View Post
    But the real problem its the rule that said that the rule of a card itīs above the rules, in this case, i believe that if the general rule said "go to used pile" and the card says "ko and do damage", the card text wins.

I hope wizkids resolve this question and many others....
    It only Overwrites if it collides with some Basic Rules. I dont see this here, as i sayed It happens as a cost and if you are not able to do it , you cant trigger the effect.

Try to understand, that these texts are functions that are looking for status/case of something. The ability triggers when Case X is happening or X is there flagged as "True". Also calle as True-False-Case Structure.

Lets look at the text:
    When fielded, take control of an opposing character. At the end of the turn, knock out that character (place it in your opponent's prep area); it deals damage equal to its attack to your opponent.
    It has 2 Parts. The first is not directly connected to the second, but the second needs the first to appear and able to process further.

When fielded, take control of an opposing character.
    Question 1: Are there opposing character?
    Yes-> Take control of one opposing character.
    No-> Do nothing.

At the end of the turn, knock out that character (place it in your opponent's prep area); it deals damage equal to its attack to your opponent.
    Question 2:
    Was the answer to question 1 "Yes" ?
    Yes-> Question 3
    No-> Do Nothing

Question 3:
    Is the Character still in play(on the Field, not KO or (captured=> not so sure about it) or out of play) at the end of your turn?
    Yes-> KO him and send him to your opponents prep area
    No-> Do Nothing

Question 4:
    Did you as the controlling player KO'd him?
    Yes-> Deal the damage
    No-> Do nothing-> Character goes to opponent back.

An overwriting can look like this:

If this character would be KOd, instead he goes to the Used Pile. <- That is overwriting.
    Last edited by Ressless; 09-27-2015 at 10:56 AM.