Thread: Ring of Magnetism/Lord of D Question

Ring of Magnetism/Lord of D Question

How do abilities such as Blue Eyes: Monstrous Dragon and Kitty Pryde: On A Mission work when the opponent has a Lord of D: Dragon Protector that has a Ring of Magnetism: Action Attraction on it? i.e. Can I still use the Blue Eyes global in this situation? Can I still use Kitty Pryde's spin down ability in this situation?

Blue Eyes
    Once per turn, you may knock out one of your monsters to give this monster +3A.

Global: Pay  [1 Bolt] and knock out one of your monsters to reduce the cost of the next die you buy by 2 energy.
    Kitty Pryde
    You may spin down a friendly character with the X-Men affiliation to give Kitty Pryde +2A and +2D until the end of your turn (you may use this ability any time you could use a Global Ability).
    Lord of D:
    While this monster is active, it cannot be the target of opposing action dice or abilities.

* Your monsters with "Dragon" in the name cannot be the target of opposing action dice or abilities.
    Ring of Magnetism
    ✏*Errata* Continuous. Play on a monster. Your opponent's action dice and abilities can only target that monster.

It was ruled at either Worlds or Nationals that BEWD doesn't "target", ergo Lord of D Ring wouldn't interfere with it. From this ruling we can (potentially) extrapolate that paying a cost is not considered targeting.

I'm not sure about Kitty. To me it would be along the same lines of "paying a cost" (spinning down one of your characters) to get a bonus (Kitty's stat increase). If so then it wouldn't be "targeting" either.

Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    It was ruled at either Worlds or Nationals that BEWD doesn't "target", ergo Lord of D Ring wouldn't interfere with it. From this ruling we can (potentially) extrapolate that paying a cost is not considered targeting.

I'm not sure about Kitty. To me it would be along the same lines of "paying a cost" (spinning down one of your characters) to get a bonus (Kitty's stat increase). If so then it wouldn't be "targeting" either.
    I've read everywhere the world's ruling on costs , but to the ones overseas and the ones that couldn't attend to world's/nationals, is there anywhere they've clarified this officially?

I haven't seen it in writing from Wizkids. You could try checking the youtube/twitch videos that were streamed, especially if they had any with commentary by Jimmy (who works for Wizkids).

The really annoying thing about this is I've asked about this very question on the rules forum and have never received an answer.

What's really annoying is they answer questions once a month .... Meanwhile we fools keep buying their crap and try to figure out how to play it. I'm going to Essen Game Fair in a couple of weeks and I'm really really hoping to be face to face with WK personnel, this is an absolute disaster at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by dond72 View Post
    What's really annoying is they answer questions once a month .... Meanwhile we fools keep buying their crap and try to figure out how to play it. I'm going to Essen Game Fair in a couple of weeks and I'm really really hoping to be face to face with WK personnel, this is an absolute disaster at the moment.
    Fear not, an interesting aspect could be to rule with strict nerfed rules. Lantern Ring for example , as a judge i would rule to the closest thing in the Ability Text and maybe some hints from the WKRF.

and for Essen, well Eric Lang(or someone else important) will be there i think for one day, but i think he already knows the problems we have. But what can 1 man do against buisiness models and contracts that where made? I hope something someday!

I don't think is contracts and business models, IMHO it's all a matter of relying too much on very few people. Maybe Neca has something to do about it, cuz this game is making enough money to allow them to hire at least a couple of guys to run the forum and the communities ....