Thread: If Star Wars Dice Masters was ever a reality

Community Custom Module for Vassal can make this a reality, just saying.

Yeah, someone made a really awesome Star Wars set that's in VASSAL.

Marvel actually does publish the Star Wars comics, not sure if Marvel writers handle it at all as I find the Star Wars universe to be really boring. Though I suppose it isn't a far fetched inclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerkk View Post
    If it did become a reality... just take my money now. All of it.

Quoted for truth

So if this happens, I feel like it would be my first 2 case buy. And please let it be across the spectrum and not just episode 7

I don't understand the fanatics on Star Wars. I can't get into it. I watched it as a kid and it just didn't sit with me. Lord of the Rings is a different story

Quote Originally Posted by VastSpartan View Post
    Lord of the Rings is a different story
    I play with a guy that we let play with the Lord of the Rings characters from the Dice Building game. We just counted everything he would spend Fellowship points as generic energy, and Fellowship points themselves as generic energy. I will say this, adding in the the re-roll mechanics seriously altered game play. IT was a blast though. We have also done similar things with Quarriors, adding them in as Generic in place of Quiddity. Since the Assistants are all on a card, He could have chosen to play them; hwoever, he settled for a series of Quake Dragons / Imps / Defender / Ghostly Spirit / Seraph / Pixies. It was quite fun. And you would have thought he would have been at a disadvantage; however, not the case.

I don't understand the fanatics on Star Wars. I can't get into it. I watched it as a kid and it just didn't sit with me. Lord of the Rings is a different story
    For me it was largely about the expanded universe. There's just so much content and characters to connect with and explore. The movies were just a small slice. Even a bit character who had 5 seconds of screen time was fleshed out in the books and had further adventures. Plus, there are numerous planets, life forms, and technologies that combine to create a rich and vibrant universe. I love LOTR as well, but it's a bit more limited in scope and doesn't expand much beyond LOTR and the Hobbit. A bit one dimensional when compared to the vastness of the Star Wars universe, although Tolkien's work is amongst the finest pieces of fiction literature IMO.

I'm just a little bummed that Disney made the bulk of the Star Wars expanded universe non canon now.

Quote Originally Posted by SHAZAM! View Post
    For me it was largely about the expanded universe. There's just so much content and characters to connect with and explore. The movies were just a small slice. Even a bit character who had 5 seconds of screen time was fleshed out in the books and had further adventures. Plus, there are numerous planets, life forms, and technologies that combine to create a rich and vibrant universe. I love LOTR as well, but it's a bit more limited in scope and doesn't expand much beyond LOTR and the Hobbit. A bit one dimensional when compared to the vastness of the Star Wars universe, although Tolkien's work is amongst the finest pieces of fiction literature IMO.

I'm just a little bummed that Disney made the bulk of the Star Wars expanded universe non canon now.
    I'll argue that there are other things connected to Lord of the Rings with more info. The movies show 40% of it.

I'll argue that there are other things connected to Lord of the Rings with more info. The movies show 40% of it.
    Maybe 40%! Possibly even less!! LotR could be a pretty sweet set (and I'm a Ringnut for sure) but the one I think would kick the most proverbial behind would be Transformers! Even matches up well with Comics because you can add the Villian affiliation.

I realize now I probably sounded like a Star Wars snob by calling LOTR more "one dimensional". Probably a poor word choice. I just meant that there is more material out there for Star Wars because so many writers could contribute ideas and write books with Lucas blessings, while LOTR is basically limited to the minds of Tolkien and Son within LOTR, Hobbit , Silmarillion , and some notes etc.

Of course I would still welcome the LOTR IP and be happy about it too. Even within the smaller scope there would be a butt-ton of neat characters and affiliations etc.

WK has a rocky past with LOTR though. They were doing Heroclix, Then before the 3rd of 4th set the Tolkien estate decided to charge more for the licensing. This raised the cost of the boosters by a dollar, people complained, and so by the time the next set came out they'd worked out the problems and gotten the price back to normal. Even so, the set was lackluster and didn't sell well.
    I want a Rings set, but it might be a tough thing to make happen at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by SHAZAM! View Post
    I realize now I probably sounded like a Star Wars snob by calling LOTR more "one dimensional". Probably a poor word choice. I just meant that there is more material out there for Star Wars because so many writers could contribute ideas and write books with Lucas blessings, while LOTR is basically limited to the minds of Tolkien and Son within LOTR, Hobbit , Silmarillion , and some notes etc.

Of course I would still welcome the LOTR IP and be happy about it too. Even within the smaller scope there would be a butt-ton of neat characters and affiliations etc.
    Problem with the EU is that a lot of it was just bad. Most things that weren't written by Zahn were flat-out unreadable. Stackpol and Allston were ok. Then they started with the serialized storyline with different authors picking up at intervals, and that's just the worst... I can't stand anything written by Kathy Tyers or Troy Denning. Absolute chore to read.

The EU had great things, but then it had garbage like The Crystal Star.

Quote Originally Posted by chalos13 View Post
    WK has a rocky past with LOTR though. They were doing Heroclix, Then before the 3rd of 4th set the Tolkien estate decided to charge more for the licensing. This raised the cost of the boosters by a dollar, people complained, and so by the time the next set came out they'd worked out the problems and gotten the price back to normal. Even so, the set was lackluster and didn't sell well.
    I want a Rings set, but it might be a tough thing to make happen at this point.
    They did the Quarriors-based LOTR game. Could be a stand-alone like TMNT.

I have that LOTR game, and I like it. It wasn't well received from what I understand, and there were a lot of issues with the game when it shipped.
    (they actually released a new rulebook online and it was recommended to scrap the one that came with it).
    Also Cryptozoic was putting out the LOTR Deckbuilding Games using their Cerberus system, and they performed so lackluster that the third iteration of the hobbit game that should have coincided with 5 Armies was never even officially announced, let alone released. It's referenced in one of the rulebooks, but recently the designer said on a forum it wasn't going to happen.
    Don't misunderstand me, I want this to happen, but for some reason LOTR games have had a rocky history, at least in the circles I'm in.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Problem with the EU is that a lot of it was just bad. Most things that weren't written by Zahn were flat-out unreadable. Stackpol and Allston were ok. Then they started with the serialized storyline with different authors picking up at intervals, and that's just the worst... I can't stand anything written by Kathy Tyers or Troy Denning. Absolute chore to read.

The EU had great things, but then it had garbage like The Crystal Star.

Yeah, it was hit or miss but I'll take the good with the bad. I really enjoyed the "Bounty Hunter War" trilogy and some of the short story collections ( Tales from Jabba's Palace/ Tales of the Bounty Hunters )
    were good fun. I also liked "Shadow Hunter" and "Cloak of Deception" etc.

I'm pretty sure Wizkids doesn't have any SW rights anymore. I think Fantasy Flight has all the licensing for Star Wars games. I could be wrong.
    I've said it before, I think Borderlands would make a killer Dice Masters set.