Thread: Article: In The Field - Shadowmeld VS Dylan

so just out of curiosity, what was the driving force behind neither team including Prof X? With how influential the global is it almost turns every team into a 7 card team. But maybe that's just me.

For my part my theme denied me access as i wanted all gold/yellow characters. alternatively kobolds provide a one sided ramp that if your opponent is dependent on someone else bringing him you already have the upper hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormyknight View Post
    so just out of curiosity, what was the driving force behind neither team including Prof X? With how influential the global is it almost turns every team into a 7 card team. But maybe that's just me.
    With PXG, you have to ask a few questions:
    Do I need a stupid amount of energy really fast?
    Will it help me more than my opponent?
    Can I work quickly without it?
    What happens when I inevitably don't roll masks?
    Am I comfortable making the first turns very luck reliant?
    Do I plan to actually field sidekicks (and for burst damage or for steady buildup)?

Depending on the answers, you probably can get away without bringing it. The weird thing about PXG is that it almost never benefits you more than your opponent. In a mismatched game like an advanced player verses a newer guy, it will quickly show the difference of skill and that's one of the reasons it's remained popular for so long. At local games, people see it dominating and then think that it's because it's such a good ability to have on an team. However, in reasonably matched competitive play, it is almost never reasonably abused when those questions we're asking aren't answered properly.

The only time it really comes into play as a good idea is when you're running a global control ability like Jinzo/Wasp/DCK (which did show up, but in a backup role), have a super cheap mask character to abuse it with like Morphing Jar, or a stupid fast setup like Wolverine - FWX. Outside of those scenarios, you're not gaining an advantage and if you're not gaining an advantage, it's not a good choice for your character slots. If you look at any other global on top teams, they're picked because they give their owner an advantage in their strategy and they are certain they can use him better than their opponent. The one exception is small ramp globals like Resurrection and that's because you need some form of ramp no matter what. PXG is the nuclear option of ramp and should really be considered a last resort for teams that would otherwise go without since it's going to really mess with the game.

Suffice it to say, PXG has a reputation as a top-tier "auto-include" card, but that's more because he stomps noobs rather than because he's actually good. Especially with the variety of counters out now like Prismatic Spray, It's just not a good include and will almost always be a wasted slot. Instead of wasting the slot, most players would be better served by grabbing a card that actually helps their win condition without helping their opponents. It's taking a while for the meta to adapt to this, but I'm seeing more and more people come on over to the light side ever since Worlds showed the power of not having PXG and I expect that as more people start playing competitively against other competent players that PXG will die off more and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Necromanticer View Post
    With PXG, you have to ask a few questions:
    Do I need a stupid amount of energy really fast?
    Will it help me more than my opponent?
    Can I work quickly without it?
    What happens when I inevitably don't roll masks?
    Am I comfortable making the first turns very luck reliant?
    Do I plan to actually field sidekicks (and for burst damage or for steady buildup)?

Depending on the answers, you probably can get away without bringing it. The weird thing about PXG is that it almost never benefits you more than your opponent. In a mismatched game like an advanced player verses a newer guy, it will quickly show the difference of skill and that's one of the reasons it's remained popular for so long. At local games, people see it dominating and then think that it's because it's such a good ability to have on an team. However, in reasonably matched competitive play, it is almost never reasonably abused when those questions we're asking aren't answered properly.

The only time it really comes into play as a good idea is when you're running a global control ability like Jinzo/Wasp/DCK (which did show up, but in a backup role), have a super cheap mask character to abuse it with like Morphing Jar, or a stupid fast setup like Wolverine - FWX. Outside of those scenarios, you're not gaining an advantage and if you're not gaining an advantage, it's not a good choice for your character slots. If you look at any other global on top teams, they're picked because they give their owner an advantage in their strategy and they are certain they can use him better than their opponent. The one exception is small ramp globals like Resurrection and that's because you need some form of ramp no matter what. PXG is the nuclear option of ramp and should really be considered a last resort for teams that would otherwise go without since it's going to really mess with the game.

Suffice it to say, PXG has a reputation as a top-tier "auto-include" card, but that's more because he stomps noobs rather than because he's actually good. Especially with the variety of counters out now like Prismatic Spray, It's just not a good include and will almost always be a wasted slot. Instead of wasting the slot, most players would be better served by grabbing a card that actually helps their win condition without helping their opponents. It's taking a while for the meta to adapt to this, but I'm seeing more and more people come on over to the light side ever since Worlds showed the power of not having PXG and I expect that as more people start playing competitively against other competent players that PXG will die off more and more.
    A little brash of a post here. its one thing to say PXG was not included hoping the other person brought a PXG, but to go as far as calling players that use it incompetent and noobs, then citing only one team that didnt bring pxg to a tournament in a meta overflowing with an abundance of PXG users (source: http://wizkids.com/dicemasters/2015-...p-top-8-teams/ ) as justification is kind of insulting to me as a player and most likely insulting to all the people that used PXG in top 8 US National Championship.

While I understand that Necro is very opinionated and his word choice shows that some times, I would like to help bridge this gap a bit. Necro did not say that people that use PXG are incompetent or noobs, but that PXG is such a high teir mechanic, that involves intricate understanding of the games mechanics, that it acts as a litmus test for experience and skill.

His point, though worded a bit judgementally, is that there are some teams that bring PXG to go super fast, some that bring it alongside global control to make it one-sided, and then there are teams that bring it for no reason other than ease of use. Bringing PXG makes the game faster and smoother, but it does that for both players. If you can play a smooth and fast team without it, not bringing it can give you super solid options, and perhaps deny your opponent those options.

Again, the advantages of PXG are not one-sided, while the advantages of not bringing him, but being prepared to use him if he arrives are. Thus, if you can play without him as well as you can play with, play with out, it will make your team more versatile, improve your skill as a pilot and effectively deny your PXG opponents their 8th card advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Palto1826 View Post
    A little brash of a post here. its one thing to say PXG was not included hoping the other person brought a PXG, but to go as far as calling players that use it incompetent and noobs, then citing only one team that didnt bring pxg to a tournament in a meta overflowing with an abundance of PXG users (source: http://wizkids.com/dicemasters/2015-...p-top-8-teams/ ) as justification is kind of insulting to me as a player and most likely insulting to all the people that used PXG in top 8 US National Championship.
    What?

I never said anyone was a noob, or even bad... I explicitly stated that PXG is popular because it makes great players even better. The problem is that in a match of equal skill level without some way to take advantage of it, it's literally a dead card. Any time a card benefits your opponent just as much as it benefits you, it's bad, no questions asked; PXG marks that box more often than it doesn't.

In top-tier play, there's an abundance of heavy control and super-fast teams, which are exactly the kinds of teams that want to bring PXG. As such, it makes sense why it's so powerful in highly competitive play, even though you're likely going to face an opponent of equal skill level. The problem is that a lot of people over estimate the good doctor and bring him in teams that just can't make good use of him without feeding their opponent a free card.

I'm sorry if you feel personally insulted, but you completely missed the point of my post and are severely twisting what I was saying. Bringing PXG doesn't mean you're bad; in fact, if you're bringing it and making good use of it, that's proof positive that you're probably good.

Quote Originally Posted by Necromanticer View Post
    What?

I never said anyone was a noob, or even bad... I explicitly stated that PXG is popular because it makes great players even better. The problem is that in a match of equal skill level without some way to take advantage of it, it's literally a dead card. Any time a card benefits your opponent just as much as it benefits you, it's bad, no questions asked; PXG marks that box more often than it doesn't.

In top-tier play, there's an abundance of heavy control and super-fast teams, which are exactly the kinds of teams that want to bring PXG. As such, it makes sense why it's so powerful in highly competitive play, even though you're likely going to face an opponent of equal skill level. The problem is that a lot of people over estimate the good doctor and bring him in teams that just can't make good use of him without feeding their opponent a free card.

I'm sorry if you feel personally insulted, but you completely missed the point of my post and are severely twisting what I was saying. Bringing PXG doesn't mean you're bad; in fact, if you're bringing it and making good use of it, that's proof positive that you're probably good.
    Necro, i can see your intent is not how it was perceived it to be as context can be/was misinterpreted by typing/reading...i do completely understand the points you made as PXG is not included in every deck i build either...one sided ramp is hopefully the future of this game because i am not a fan of cards that are in every deck and almost all of the top eight had at least 4 of the same cards. Unfortunately, the one sided ramp right now has too many stipulations...as for the decks featured, i do like to see new decks that havent been done before so kudos for the builds (though i like my lantern ring deck much better ) necro, heres to debating in the future