Thread: Star Realms

Star Realms

Does anyone here play Star Realms? I play the digital app quite a bit. Challenges are welcome, send them to "Arc".

I've got it all. I'm also in the beta. I prefer vanilla Star Realms or with Ships and Bases.

I don't have the game on PC, but I play it enough in person that I probably wouldn't play it online much anyway.

I don't like the deck builders with shifting pools on adds in the middle like Star Realms and Ascension. It adds too much of a luck component to a game about engine building. These games are less skillful when the same options aren't available to both players.

Quote Originally Posted by Dshute View Post
    Dave, have you seen WWG's new game Epic? It's like MtG only a one time purchase ($15) and so many modes of play (sealed, draft, cube, constructed). Great game to scratch that MtG itch without having to empty your wallet. It should be out in retail shortly. Most Kickstarter backers are getting their copies now.
    I backed it and have been playing my copy. The play style is much faster and more aggressive than MtG, and is taking some getting used to. I like it, but you definitely have to play it draft style.

Dave, have you seen WWG's new game Epic? It's like MtG only a one time purchase ($15) and so many modes of play (sealed, draft, cube, constructed). Great game to scratch that MtG itch without having to empty your wallet. It should be out in retail shortly. Most Kickstarter backers are getting their copies now.
    I remember when Epic was a CCG. Game was straight up broken garbage that felt like it was never play tested at all. Hopefully the re-release LCG-like version of the game will be better, but I doubt it since even the core mechanics felt off.

Oh yes, I played it at Origins and backed it immediately. I just taught it to my friend this weekend, actually. I really enjoy it.

The thing with Epic is that everything is ridiculously powerful. The games are super swingy. I get a 14/14 with Blitz out against an empty field, attack, and suddenly the thing is in my graveyard. I've found, though, that normal CCG instincts are as helpful here as with any CCG. And given that there are multiple attack steps allowed, it adds some nuance to the attack part of the game without adding complication. I like it a lot.

I'm also looking at Ashes as soon as it's out. I love me some Plaid Hat Games.