Thread: Active/in the field/in play problem

Active/in the field/in play problem

So I've apparently ruled several things wrong, and I need some clarification. Based on these two cards:
    Robin - Circus Star
    "Robin is unblockable while your Batman is active."
    Robin - Acrobatic Adolescent
    "When Robin is KO’d, move it to the field at level 3 if Batman™ is in play."
    Looking at those two cards, I saw a very specific distinction between "your Batman" and "if Batman is in play," So I ruled in the second case that if your opponent had Batman the ability still triggered. From there I also ruled cards like Dr, Harleen Quinzel incorrectly
    While Harley Quinn is active, The Joker costs 2 less to buy and 1 less to field.
    Recently someone brought page 20 of the rulebook to my attention, so now I'm trying to figure out how many cards from War of Light are supposed to operate.
    Card text that names a character only considers your characters for its
    effects. Your card’s text doesn’t trigger because your opponent has the
    same character, nor do your dice get a bonus from your opponent’s
    cards of the same name.
    Unless otherwise specified, card effects and bonuses end at the end
    of a turn.
    For Example:
    Fatality - Yrra Cynril
    When fielded, deal 1 damage to target character for each different color [Lantern] in play.
    Mera - Queen of Atlantis
    If there are three or more different color [Lantern] characters in play, reduce all damage done to Mera by 2.
    Dex Starr - Rage Kitty
    Dex-Starr gets +1A when attacking for each [Lantern] color in play besides [Red Lantern Corps].
    None of these name a character, they count things in play. Before I saw page 20 I would have counted both side of the field, but now I don't know. I tried my best to rule things at our draft based on what I thought the "spirit" of the card was intended to be. It's frustrating as a Judge when you rule something incorrectly due to an imprecise wording on the cards, and you have to explain later you were wrong. Posted this on the rules WES forum as well, but thought I'd put it here as well to see if what people were doing.

well it's super early for me, and I put this in the Forum Rules rather than the rules questions section. Can a moderator move this for me? My bad.

Until and unless WizKids rules otherwise, I always play it as "if it doesn't specify a side, and it's not a named character, then it counts both".

I can cleary understand that if the character directly is named for an ability to trigger, i would only count my Cards. But what about Aquaman-Arthur Curry.
    The key question for me here is,even when a Character Name is involved lets say Aquaman. Does the Rule on Page 20 working for him too?

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    Card text?
    While Aquaman is active, Justice League characters cost 1 less to buy (to a minimum of 1).

sorry here you go

I swear I thought we had an official ruling on Aquaman reducing both sides but I can't find it now.

EDIT -

Nevermind you're asking if your opponent has Aquaman fielded.
    I believe it is when one of your Aquaman dice is fielded ti reduces all. So if your opponent had say the Rare Aquaman and fielded him this would not set off the cost reduction.

Quote Originally Posted by KennedyHawk View Post
    I swear I thought we had an official ruling on Aquaman reducing both sides but I can't find it now.

EDIT -

Nevermind you're asking if your opponent has Aquaman fielded.
    I believe it is when one of your Aquaman dice is fielded ti reduces all. So if your opponent had say the Rare Aquaman and fielded him this would not set off the cost reduction.
    No i am asking about the Common Arthur Curry, it doesnt matter who fieldet him. That the Rare is only for my side, i know this as posted before.

Aquaman is a good example too. If my question on the wk forum gets answered I'll link it here. @Scorpion0x17 I've tried to follow that rule too, but some cards in War of Light seem to be a universal effect, while others seem to be designed to only give you a benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by KennedyHawk View Post
    I also could have sworn there was a ruling on this, or a similar ability, but cannot find it.

Anyway, yes, my understanding is he reduces the cost for both sides,

Which I think is what @Ressless was asking.

Quote Originally Posted by chalos13 View Post
    @Scorpion0x17 I've tried to follow that rule too, but some cards in War of Light seem to be a universal effect, while others seem to be designed to only give you a benefit.
    I think the best policy is to follow the rule of thumb I gave, and post a question on the WizKids rules forum when there is doubt.

I wish we could make a list for "some" cards; wordings or effects and how the work with other cards. But man we would sit hours here for this... .

For what it's worth in my area we have been playing the WoL cards such as Fatality - Yrra Cynril, Mera - Queen of Atlantis and Dex Starr - Rage Kitty etc... as counting both sides if it is not specific.

Anything that references a specific, named character only looks at your side of the board.

Anything that references an affiliation or energy type refers to both sides, unless card text specifies "yours" or "your opponents".

But then the zombies don't seem right
    "Zombie - when fielded, KO all non-[Zombie] Magnetos. While active, opposing characters with Purchase Cost 3 or lower lose their abilities. Professor X can't be fielded."
    According to that, I can't field Prof X, because it names a specific character. This is why you can't be 100% confident you play things correctly. This would also only KO my magnetos if it only considers my characters because it's specifically named.

And... that could very well be the case with these cards. Have they ruled on this yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    And... that could very well be the case with these cards. Have they ruled on this yet?
    http://wizkids.com/dicemasters/marvelzombies/

That would seem to imply that the "all" on the Zombies would KO both players' non-Z Magnetos, etc. Of course, you couldn't have a non-Z Magneto on your team, since they have the same title. It also implies that your opponent couldn't field the nemesis character, but doesn't explicitly say so (and doesn't say anything about whether you could or not).

Aside from the weird quirk of the Zombies, everything else works like I mentioned above.

I'm sure there is some kind of logic to why a small handful of abilities are exceptions to the rules of thumb.

But I have yet to discern what that logic is.

If a card is not specific, you should count both sides of the field. So Fatality, Mera and Dex abilities mentioned in the OP would count both sides of the field.

I think the rule on page 20 is addressing a different issue: when both players have the same character, same subtitle or different subtitle.

For instance, using the OP example of Robin - Circus Star and Robin - Acrobatic Adolescent. If I have Circus Star and the opponent has Acrobatic Adolescent fielded and we each have a Batman, if my Robin gets knocked out, my Robin does not return to the field at level 3. Also, my opponent's Acrobatic Adolescent does not gain "unblockable" from my Circus Star.

Also, I believe the ruling addresses things like if both players have Storm - Wind Rider on their teams. If I field my Storm, my opponent does not get to use the ability.

I
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight4612 View Post
    If a card is not specific, you should count both sides of the field. So Fatality, Mera and Dex abilities mentioned in the OP would count both sides of the field.

I think the rule on page 20 is addressing a different issue: when both players have the same character, same subtitle or different subtitle.

For instance, using the OP example of Robin - Circus Star and Robin - Acrobatic Adolescent. If I have Circus Star and the opponent has Acrobatic Adolescent fielded and we each have a Batman, if my Robin gets knocked out, my Robin does not return to the field at level 3. Also, my opponent's Acrobatic Adolescent does not gain "unblockable" from my Circus Star.

Also, I believe the ruling addresses things like if both players have Storm - Wind Rider on their teams. If I field my Storm, my opponent does not get to use the ability.
    I never thought of it from that angle, while X is active do this, and this rule prevents my opponent from doing that if they have X as well. If that's the intention of the rule, maybe the original Robin example was wrong. Maybe if my opponent has Batman, I do get a benefit.