Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Guy Gardner: Blinding Rage Question

Guy Gardner: Blinding Rage Question

If you have multiple GG dice in the field can they go towards his own ability?

Should be able to. Just wouldn't buff his own die.

Example: attack with GG, GG, and a SK. Each GG would get +2.

Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post

Should be able to. Just wouldn't buff his own die.

Example: attack with GG, GG, and a SK. Each GG would get +2.
    Nice! Thanks M8.

is "when attacking" ability that triggers when you choose your attacking dies before blockers are assigned?

What happen if there are some KOīs or Distraction global, and the active player must retire a couple of dies of the Attack Zone? Guy Gardnerīs dies conserve theirs bonus attack?

Quote Originally Posted by bartok View Post
    is "when attacking" ability that triggers when you choose your attacking dies before blockers are assigned?

What happen if there are some KOīs or Distraction global, and the active player must retire a couple of dies of the Attack Zone? Guy Gardnerīs dies conserve theirs bonus attack?
    Didn't understand your question at first. That actually is a good question, when you are attacking with guy Gardner, if any of the attackers are pushed back with distraction or knocked out during the globals part of the attack step, does he retain his bonus from the number of attacking characters, or do either of those two things affect the bonus?

this is the question.
    Think is a "when attacking" ability, and retain his bonus..
    but yesterday someone says may be its a "when active" abilities of the others dies and lose the bonus.

The way I have been reading and playing Guy is that his bonuses are constantly reading the field to see how many attackers there are. This may be wrong, but it definitely seems to read that way.

An distracted character reduces Guy's attack bonus.

On the other hand, Transfer power can't steal this attack bonus, because it's a while active bonus.

Others read this the same way?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    The way I have been reading and playing Guy is that his bonuses are constantly reading the field to see how many attackers there are. This may be wrong, but it definitely seems to read that way.

An distracted character reduces Guy's attack bonus.

On the other hand, Transfer power can't steal this attack bonus, because it's a while active bonus.

That's exactly how I read it too, can't transfer power off an aura and aura's are always checking the game state.

I actually have a question about that. I agree with your assessment about how his bonuses check and then are applied. However, wouldn't you be able to use transfer power to swap his augmented stats with say a sidekick and then Guy would have the bonus applied to the new stat?

Example: There are 3 Guy Gardner dice attacking (two on their level one side and one on it's level three side). When the bonus is applied, the two level one Guys have an attack of 4 and the level three Guy has an attack of 6. Is it not possible to use Transfer Power to swap the one level three Guy's 6 attack with the sidekick's 1 attack and then due to how Guy's ability works the 1 attack gets bumped up to 3 attack?

The reason I'm asking is due to this Wizkids Rules post.

http://wes.mfv.com/bb/viewtopic.php?...3e846baf#p8794

Also, this is my first post. I just want to say that I really enjoy this site and appreciate all you guys do!

with that post you could technically continue to increase guys attack with a double swap.

Ex.

4/4 guy attacking with 2 other 4/4 guys.

Transfer power guy with a sidekick your opponent has. Giving him 1 base attack and +2 attack for 2 other attacking, total of 3, and your opponents sidekick gets an attack of 6, then switch back again giving him a base value of 6, then add on 2 more for his ability for a total of 8 attack.

Invulnerability is an applied stat modifier. You use it, it's done. It can be swapped with Transfer Power or Ant-Man Global.

Goblin-Lord (from the link) or Guy Gardner (from our assumptions here) are static modifiers. They always exist as long as the condition is met and cannot be swapped. You would only swap the "base" stat (with any applied modifiers) and then continue to apply the static modifiers.

MY APOLOGIES!

I replied to this thread on my phone and somehow accidentally locked it. Re-opened now for continued discussion!

Thanks to @Stormyknight for letting me know!

They throw me off with the explanation for transfer power, when they talk about switching the hulks attack and the sidekicks attack, they state it as 2A switching with 8A then the sidekick gets the bonus bringing it to 9A. With the way they describe that it seems as though hulk would get 2A, retaining the bonus that was static as a base attack. It's possible that this was a typo, but it seems like you could double switch to add the bonus again.

In the linked thread, the Sidekick only swaps it's 1A base, the static bonus from GG doesn't swap. So it's 8, Hulk is 1, and then the GG bonus still applies making it 9A.

Well i got the same impression that they are only talking about what the sidekick will switch, but not what happens after it.
    So i guess hulk would take the 1 Attack and not the 2 Attack with the buff on it.

Giving a scenario to see if I understand the thread (so far)...

I field 4 level 1 Guy Gardner: Blinding Rage dice (2A 2D) and attack with all 4 in an attempt to do 5 damage from each die for a total of 20 damage and the win.

However my opponent has a mask for Distraction and pushes one of my die back into the Field Zone; the damage done is now only 4 per die for a total of 12 (not 3 x 5, but 3 x 4). 3 Guys in the Used Pile and one in the Field Zone.

My opponent fields a SK and a level 3 Kitty Pryde: Ariel (3A 3D), attacks with both, I use my Guy Gardner: Blinding Rage (2A 2D) to block the Kitty Pryde: Ariel, because my opponent has 2 attacking die my level 1 Guy Gardner: Blinding Rage becomes (4A 2D) and after damage is resolved both the Kitty Pryde: Ariel and Guy Gardner: Blinding Rage are KO'd, the SK comes through unblocked for 1 damage to me and goes to its Used Pile.

Is the above turn play correct? I'm (sadly) comfortable with Guy loosing his attacking buddy, but rather (pleasantly) surprised by his A boost while blocking.

Thanks for any confirmations or corrections.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamA View Post
    Giving a scenario to see if I understand the thread (so far)...

I field 4 level 1 Guy Gardner: Blinding Rage dice (2A 2D) and attack with all 4 in an attempt to do 5 damage from each die for a total of 20 damage and the win.

However my opponent has a mask for Distraction and pushes one of my die back into the Field Zone; the damage done is now only 4 per die for a total of 12 (not 3 x 5, but 3 x 4). 3 Guys in the Used Pile and one in the Field Zone.

My opponent fields a SK and a level 3 Kitty Pryde: Ariel (3A 3D), attacks with both, I use my Guy Gardner: Blinding Rage (2A 2D) to block the Kitty Pryde: Ariel, because my opponent has 2 attacking die my level 1 Guy Gardner: Blinding Rage becomes (4A 2D) and after damage is resolved both the Kitty Pryde: Ariel and Guy Gardner: Blinding Rage are KO'd, the SK comes through unblocked for 1 damage to me and goes to its Used Pile.

Is the above turn play correct? I'm (sadly) comfortable with Guy loosing his attacking buddy, but rather (pleasantly) surprised by his A boost while blocking.

Thanks for any confirmations or corrections.
    It's a general consensus that his bonus is only while he is attacking, not while blocking. His ability as it is played should read.

"Guy Gardner must attack and while attacking, he gains +1 for each attacking die"

So yes, if any dice are distracted or KOd or removed some other way, then he would lose a bonus attack stat for each die removed.

Some play as he gains the bonus as blocking, not really understanding that interpretation. However, it's best to check with your local judge first before assuming that.

Yeah, the reason folks use the other interpretation is that he doesn't actually say while attacking, but otherwise he reads exactly the same. So without the "assumed" limitation, he reads as getting the bonus for each attacking die that isn't his.

And yet Lantern Ring Does CharactersXEnergy for damage. Sanity is relative me thinks.

Yeah, the reason folks use the other interpretation is that he doesn't actually say while attacking, but otherwise he reads exactly the same. So without the "assumed" limitation, he reads as getting the bonus for each attacking die that isn't his.
    Whether the bonus is static or applied, he would only get the bonus during the attack step.

His ability either reads

"Guy Gardner must attack each turn (if able) and gets +1A while attacking for each other attacking die."

Or

"Guy Gardner must attack each turn (if able) and gets +1A when he attacks for each other attacking die."

How do you read his ability as a bonus while blocking.

It would have to say:

"Guy Gardner must attack each turn (if able) and gets +1A when he attacks/while attacking or blocks for each other attacking die."

Unless you mean to say that it's just a plain static bonus, and the "and" part of the ability means nothing in conjunction with the two abilities/effects.

If that was the case, the card would read "Guy Gardner must attack. Guy Gardner gets +1 for each other attacking die." Separating both abilities by a period making it clear they aren't connected.
    Last edited by RainCityJenna; 01-26-2016 at 02:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by agentj View Post
    So when he blocks he get +1A for each die your opponent is attacking with?
    Thats not sane.
    It's known that some card break the rules. Tis the dice rolls.

Quote Originally Posted by RainCityJenna View Post
    Whether the bonus is static or applied, he would only get the bonus during the attack step.

His ability either reads

"Guy Gardner must attack each turn (if able) and gets +1A while attacking for each other attacking die."

Or

"Guy Gardner must attack each turn (if able) and gets +1A when he attacks for each other attacking die."

How do you read his ability as a bonus while blocking.

It would have to say:

"Guy Gardner must attack each turn (if able) and gets +1A when he attacks/while attacking or blocks for each other attacking die."

Unless you mean to say that it's just a plain static bonus, and the "and" part of the ability means nothing in conjunction with the two abilities/effects.

If that was the case, the card would read "Guy Gardner must attack. Guy Gardner gets +1 for each other attacking die." Separating both abilities by a period making it clear they aren't connected.
    .......Are you agreeing or disagreeing? I cant tell.

Quote Originally Posted by VastSpartan View Post
    .......Are you agreeing or disagreeing? I cant tell.
    I'm not doing either, as there is nothing to agree or disagree with, I along with the majority of the community think that it's a static bonus while attacking, which would mean it's either missing "While attacking" which would remove the bonus as a blocker, or it an applied bonus "When attacks" or it's a static bonus that is different from his first ability, and they put an ", and" instead of just a "."

I'm asking @Shadowmeld which he believes it to be option 1, 2 or 3 to be the correct wording of the card.

Quote Originally Posted by RainCityJenna View Post
    I'm not doing either, as there is nothing to agree or disagree with, I along with the majority of the community think that it's a static bonus while attacking, which would mean it's either missing "While attacking" which would remove the bonus as a blocker, or it an applied bonus "When attacks" or it's a static bonus that is different from his first ability, and they put an ", and" instead of just a "."

I'm asking @Shadowmeld which he believes it to be option 1, 2 or 3 to be the correct wording of the card.
    The assumption that and intricately links the two abilities is a false one. There are other cards that also use and instead of a period to couple abilities that are entirely unrelated. The most related would be common Doctor Octopus from ASM that says "Doc Of can't be blocked by and takes no damage from Spider Friends." If we were to apply the same intricately linked language you are trying to use, we would have to assume that Doc Oc, who can't be blocked while attacking, also can't take damage.... ONLY while attacking.

If you think Doc Oc takes no damage from Spider Friends in the opponents attack step, why do you think that Guy Gardner doesn't get his bonus in that same step?

Perhaps you are of the oppinion that the word other implies that Guy must also be attacking? In that case does Zombie Gladiator only get his +2A if you make him a mask character first? After all he gets a bonus for "each OTHER mask character...".

The arguments I have seen for why Guy doesn't get the bonus while defending all include the assumption of additional text, where, if you were to read the ability, strictly as worded, and not assume that And or Other add any hidden meaning, Guy should get the bonus while ACTIVE, not while attacking.