Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Props to WizKids for recognizing the need to improve wordings & add rules resources

Props to WizKids for recognizing the need to improve wordings & add rules resources

http://wizkidseventsystem.com/bb/vie...hp?f=10&t=8510

I'm a huge fan of the general judging guidelines they just posted and especially this phrase:

"In our continuing effort to help players with Dice Masters rules questions, we are adding resources to assist with the wording on cards and providing rulings."

We are moving towards a better more coherent game! Huzzah!

Rule of Reasonableness
    Sometimes there will be card text or interactions that could be stretched to be interpreted one way on a technicality, but probably works another way. If 100 players were asked, about 95 would probably agree, while 2-3 wouldn’t be sure, and 2-3 would try to stretch the rules for their own advantage. In cases like these, judges should feel comfortable siding with the more reasonable interpretation that would be shared by the overwhelming majority of players.
    Another new rule that I love.

If someone tries to stretch the iffy wording on Scarecrow to let them choose a color of "dice" not lantern color I can now tell them to quit being unreasonable.

Also good to see that ZombieMags, Constantine, et al will wipe things like Lantern Ring and Anger Issues' abilities from a character.

and Loki shuts off Cassie's ring!

I'm glad they are trying to improve. Hopefully these will help get more consistent rulings from judges, that definitely helps new players like me from getting confused all the time!

Quote Originally Posted by SlapsterMcFlash View Post
    yo this is mad dope

I'm so happy to be getting all of this
    True that @SlapsterMcFlash . I LOVE the implied dedication to improvement and cannot wait to see how the templating and key word/consistent wording/formatting looks in a year from now.

Wait? Loki won't shut off Ring, his ability will get redirected before it resolves.

Magneto though, that guy is op.

I assumed that if Jocasta took damage...

Wizkids strikes again. Only they would rule that an effect provided by another source is the effected character's ability...

Incredibly stupid and makes an already amazing SR that much better. At least the Paladin is relatively easy to get and effects more than 3 cost and lower characters.

The rest of the info is good and good to know though

All of these are rules I've already been following while managing my area, but it's nice to have something solid backing them up. So credit where credit is due. It also appears that they are trying to be more clear with rulings and are using much more specific language. Excellent job Wizkids, I hope this will become the routine from now on.

I mean, I really dislike the ruling about the characters basically "gaining the text" when they gain an ability, like, a lot a lot, but at least they responded to it as promptly and thoroughly as possible.
    I definitely agree that the speed of response is amazing (and unparalleled with the rest of their products) so I do feel that once they shake the usual WK Rulings that happen in other games, Dice Masters is going to be in an amazing place.

The difference is, Loki has to successfully target Jo to turnoff her ability, but Cassie prevents that targeting from taking place before the ability begins to resolve.

Pay cost, choose target, resolve ability, reactions. Cassie interrupts that second part, Jo is in the 4th part.

So, here is my two cents, FIRST, love that the game is growing and things are being worked out to make it a better gaming system. Keywords are a big help. Definitions even more so. Wording while not 100% yet, still has room for improvement. Here is what I mean - Ability Damage: Damage from a Character that isn't combat damage. It is precise, and CLEARLY, either it is Combat Damage or Ability Damage now, not both. EXCELLENT, this is perfect. Clearly understood. Until we read the definition of COMBAT DAMAGE, Combat Damage: The damage a character die deals during the Attack Step as a result of attacking or blocking. (Bunch of people read this as when assigning damage during the attack step, English professors read this as when Assigning Attackers, Assigning Blockers, and when Assigning Damage during the Attack Step.)

Now, my hopes are that things are on a better track and constantly improve. Which from all signs that is the direction we are headed.

are you saying that she interrupts before the acting player completely resolves his effect?
    so you're saying Cassie is a redirect?

I think cassie is a triggered ability.
    Now if she said "TT can't be targeted", then I would agree.

After the ruling on SR Jocasta, I don't think anything is a redirect unless it says "redirect"

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    After the ruling on SR Jocasta, I don't think anything is a redirect unless it says "redirect"
    Ring of Magnetism is a redirect:

http://www.wizkidseventsystem.com/bb...hp?f=10&t=4157

Quote Originally Posted by SarkhanMad View Post
    are you saying that she interrupts before the acting player completely resolves his effect?

So you are saying, if I target her with GGoliath, I would first have to KO her, then I could trigger her ability?

I think Cassie interrupts the standard order of play by triggering once targetted, not triggering after being affected by something.

I mean, I really dislike the ruling about the characters basically "gaining the text" when they gain an ability, like, a lot a lot, but at least they responded to it as promptly and thoroughly as possible.
    Too bad they don't literally become "text" gains, then Prismatic spray would get a big buff as well

Quote Originally Posted by SarkhanMad View Post

Well if we make it precise, everybody take out their Dictionaries!

I think you could say,she is changing, alteringor switching around the Target.

But here lies the problem. The Rulebook itself states with

Preventing and Redirecting
    Some powers prevent a game effect (damage, drawing a die, etc.). This
    includes cards that “take no damage.” When an action is prevented, all
    of the effects of that ability are canceled, and that effect can no longer
    be reacted to. Costs for that ability are not refunded.
    Other powers redirect a game effect (usually damage). When an
    effect is redirected, the target of the effect changes from its original
    target to the new one as described in the game text, even if that target
    was not a legal one for the original effect.
    The source of the effect
    remains unchanged from the original.

So i think WK is missing an additional Keyword, otherwise Watson would tell me Wonder Girl is redirecting the target.

Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    That's funny. Because Ring's text says nothing about redirecting. It says that something has to be targeted. So if something has to be targeted from jump street, how is it redirected? But WK uses rulebook text on redirecting to explain how it works. .....

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    So you are saying, if I target her with GGoliath, I would first have to KO her, then I could trigger her ability?

I think Cassie interrupts the standard order of play by triggering once targetted, not triggering after being affected by something.
    The rules state that you can't interrupt, effects have to resolve completely before triggered effects can activate.

If she had a "when damaged" ability, you wouldn't interrupt Loki.

basically, when she is given the opportunity to act, she doesn't have text.