Thread: Action Dice that give characters abilities, and how ability wipes can affect them.

Action Dice that give characters abilities, and how ability wipes can affect them.

Let's just start this thread with some simple Brainstorming.

Lantern Ring Rare: We know what it does, thanks to the ruling.

Ring of magnetism: All three give your character the noted ability, Yes, no?

Uncommon Helicarrier: gives a character the "Can't be blocked by Villains" ability on a burst or 2xBurst.

Common Vibranium Shield: gives characters of an energy type the "takes no damage" ability.

Uncommon Vibranium Shield: gives opposing characters of a particular type the "cannot attack or block" ability.

Common Helmet: gives "can only be blocked by two or more characters."

Uncommon Helmet: gives "cannot be affected by your opponent's action dice or character abilities."

Rare Helmet: gives "takes no damage during the attack step."

Rare Sword: gives "Characters damaged by this character are knocked out at the end of the attack step."

Distraction: gives "Cannot block" to two characters.

Invulnerability: gives "if knocked out, return to the field"

Thrown Car: gives "overcrush"

Enrage: gives "must attack"

Selective Shield: gives "cannot attack" and one character gets "cannot block" on a double burst.

Dimension Door: gives "cannot be blocked"

Horn of the Unicorn: gives "overcrush" on burst and double burst.

Mirror Wall: either gives an ability that halves the character's stats, or halves their stats as a modifier, it is unclear.

Spellbinding Circle: gives "cannot attack"

Swords of Revealing Light: gives "Can't attack"

Waboku: gives "cannot be knocked out while blocking"

Anger Issues: gives "overcrush"

Pick Your Battles: gives "can only be blocked by opposing characters of the same energy type" and sidekicks get "can only be blocked by Sidekicks."

Reckless Charge: gives "take a maximum of 2 damage from each blocker.(or 1 on a double burst)"

Villainous Pact: gives "Cannot block"

Call Them Out!: gives "Must block (character)"

Hulk Out: gives "Overcrush"

Stealth Ops: gives "unblockable" and arguably an ability that involves "considered level 1" but that could also be a spin mechanic.

You've Been Chosen: gives all characters of a type "must attack during their next Attack Step, and deal no combat damage. If unblocked, return to the Field Zone instead of the Used Pile."

If any of these effects are played on 3 cost or less characters, an opposing Magneto will prevent them from taking effect. True or False?

This is definitely an interesting question... I feel like it's probably not what they meant (they did use the terminology of "treat additional abilities" as opposed to removing abilities), but then again, I've been wrong on that score before!

As I mentioned in the other thread, though, I would tend not to view whether or not a character can block as an ability. That's more of a state that the character is in. Same with knocking out (Invulnerability) - that doesn't grant an ability, as an ability would only kick in if the character was active, which it wouldn't be if it was knocked out. So that kinda has to be board state, not a character ability, doesn't it?

But yeah, if they are going to go that way with character abilities, they need to be clearer.

Can't Block.

Knocked out and returning to the field.

Takes no damage.

The list goes on. If it's ruled as an ability on a character, as written, how could it not be an ability on a character if given by an action die?

Which part is false? Do some cards not provide abilities? If so, which ones? Trying to develop a conversation here on the ramifications of the ruling so that we can have a decent consensus about this new interaction.

My hunch is that D&D gear is going to be exempted from the "...Treat additional abilities from action dice as abilities on those character" ruling. Since the gear can only be attached to characters with equip, I think it might be ruled that those abilities are inherent to those action dice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bankholdup View Post
    My hunch is that D&D gear is going to be exempted from the "...Treat additional abilities from action dice as abilities on those character" ruling. Since the gear can only be attached to characters with equip, I think it might be ruled that those abilities are inherent to those action dice.
    My hunch is that it is to early to tell. I am sure that Wizkids has a logical way to determine it. We just do not know what it is right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Wargfn View Post
    My hunch is that it is to early to tell. I am sure that Wizkids has a logical way to determine it. We just do not know what it is right now.
    Whether or not we'll learn about that logical way remains to be seen.

I think we need clarification before we know for sure, but I think the wording they used suggests that not all actions give abilities-
    "How does ignoring text/abilities work when action dice add abilities to characters and their dice?"

So how do we figure out what actions "give" abilities to characters?
    The only card I can think of for sure would give an ability based on the wording is Hulk Out-
    "One target character gains Overcrush until end of turn."

Theres probably a good case to be made for all equipment giving the abilities.

The problem is, Abilities is defined as "Text on a character's Card".

Any time an action die would be considered to add "text to a character's card" we could consider that an ability.

Logically we would extrapolate that any time an action die gives a character an effect that is also "text on another character's card" we could consider that an ability being given.

But that means, "Cannot block" is an ability. So, to stick with the action die example, does distraction give two characters an ability?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    Which part is false? Do some cards not provide abilities? If so, which ones? Trying to develop a conversation here on the ramifications of the ruling so that we can have a decent consensus about this new interaction.
    Don't know. My attention is tiny and I'm too dumb to follow through. I'll let the smarter ones figure it out.