Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Relaxing basic action

  1. #1

  2. #2

  3. #3

  4. #4
    Name, is defined as the text at the center to edge of a card. Sidekicks don't have a card.

  5. #5
    I disagree. Syntax is relevant here. Name = noun or Name = verb.

    I would argue that "name" is used in this card's text as a verb. Hence, a Sidekick can be affected because it is a die.

  6. #6
    While sidekicks don't have a card, Relaxing asks for a die to be named not a character, would this not allow for a sidekick to therefore be named? This is how we have played it, the sidekick is a named die within the bag.http://wizkidseventsystem.com/bb/vie...dekicks#p14173

  7. #7
    Can I name 'Action' or 'Character'?

    The places I play at allow 'Sidekick' as a valid choice for Relaxing. I think we could use a official ruling on this. I'm fine either way.

  8. #8
    If you can't name "sidekick" then Relaxing is a piece of garbage, and the average player is going to play it as if you can name sidekicks, so I'd rule that "sidekick" is nameable. The card could use an errata to make this clear so we're not looking up the definition of "name" as it pertains to Dice Masters. And likely the sidekick card is nameless as it could be a monster or NPC because of flavor.

    See: Reasonableness in judging.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by pishposh View Post
    Can I name 'Action' or 'Character'?

    The places I play at allow 'Sidekick' as a valid choice for Relaxing. I think we could use a official ruling on this. I'm fine either way.
    Wouldn't the ruling I quoted prove that sidekicks are indeed namable?

    http://wizkidseventsystem.com/bb/vie...dekicks#p14173

    Specific text:

    "As they exist before they are in play (i.e., in your dice bag), there are three types of dice: action dice, character dice, and sidekick dice. The language from the rulebook that speaks of “two types” of dice says, “Cards and their associated dice come in two types: characters and actions.” This statement is accurate, because sidekicks do not have cards associated with them, and thus are a third type of dice not referenced in the language quoted from the rulebook. Sidekick dice may later also be considered character dice if rolled on a character face, but they are not considered character dice unless and until that occurs—i.e., as they exist in your bag, they are “sidekick dice” only, not “character dice.”"

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by digitallimit View Post
    If you can't name "sidekick" then Relaxing is a piece of garbage, so I'd rule that "sidekick" and even "basic action" are also acceptable dice to name. Character dice and non-basic actions use the names on their cards. All dice should be nameable, especially with respect to this card.

    See: Reasonableness in judging.
    I think you sum it up really well here, and think it is reasonable to expect that sidekicks were meant to be included. I would disagree, however, with naming action dice as a general rule. I would still play it as needing to name the specific action assigned to that die.

  11. #11

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Knight View Post
    Wouldn't the ruling I quoted prove that sidekicks are indeed namable?

    http://wizkidseventsystem.com/bb/vie...dekicks#p14173

    Specific text:

    "As they exist before they are in play (i.e., in your dice bag), there are three types of dice: action dice, character dice, and sidekick dice. The language from the rulebook that speaks of “two types” of dice says, “Cards and their associated dice come in two types: characters and actions.” This statement is accurate, because sidekicks do not have cards associated with them, and thus are a third type of dice not referenced in the language quoted from the rulebook. Sidekick dice may later also be considered character dice if rolled on a character face, but they are not considered character dice unless and until that occurs—i.e., as they exist in your bag, they are “sidekick dice” only, not “character dice.”"
    If we use that ruling as a basis, wouldn't we be at a point where you would just say character die and any character you pulled would count? While I think we should be able to name SKs, I think this would be too broad.

  13. #13
    That's not proof: "character" or "action" are not names in this context, they're types. Sidekicks are arguably a type of dice with no name.

    That said, 90% of players are going to play this as if you can name sidekicks because otherwise this card is practically useless in typical play; Relaxing is ramp, to be used early, when your bag is full of sidekicks, after all.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Joepancreas View Post
    I think you sum it up really well here, and think it is reasonable to expect that sidekicks were meant to be included. I would disagree, however, with naming action dice as a general rule. I would still play it as needing to name the specific action assigned to that die.
    Agreed! I edited that almost immediately after posting it. Had a stroke and forgot we assign cards to basic action dice, thus giving them a name.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Joepancreas View Post
    I think you sum it up really well here, and think it is reasonable to expect that sidekicks were meant to be included. I would disagree, however, with naming action dice as a general rule. I would still play it as needing to name the specific action assigned to that die.
    This is an interesting situation. Since the ruling Green Knight cited makes no distinction between the action the action die represents, one could name (say) 'action die', and this would be acceptable.

    A stricter interpretation would require the player to name the specific action represented by that action die's color.

    I lean toward the former (less strict) interpretation.

  16. #16
    In a general case of precisely three types of dice, I'd expect them to be listed on the card.

    "Choose sidekick, action or character..." Something to that effect.

  17. #17
    Wait - per the rules below (bolded specifically), page 7, I would say you have to name the specific action associated with the action die before your pull:

    Basic Action Dice can be paired with any of the Basic Action Cards and an Indicator card. All other dice are associated with a few cards. Before playing, you’ll choose one of those cards to use with each type of die. The card gives a variety of details about the die, such as its cost, its special abilities, and its faces in order.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by archivist View Post
    Wait - per the rules below (bolded specifically), page 7, I would say you have to name the specific action associated with the action die before your pull:

    Basic Action Dice can be paired with any of the Basic Action Cards and an Indicator card. All other dice are associated with a few cards. Before playing, you’ll choose one of those cards to use with each type of die. The card gives a variety of details about the die, such as its cost, its special abilities, and its faces in order.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitallimit View Post
    Agreed! I edited that almost immediately after posting it. Had a stroke and forgot we assign cards to basic action dice, thus giving them a name.
    Yeahp, what I was referring to here. Wish I hadn't accidentally brought that up.

  19. #19
    Wouldn't it have been wonderful if when answering this question, they would have eliminated all loop holes?

    And
    Quote Originally Posted by digitallimit
    If you can't name "sidekick" then Relaxing is a piece of garbage, and the average player is going to play it as if you can name sidekicks, so I'd rule that "sidekick" is nameable. The card could use an errata to make this clear so we're not looking up the definition of "name" as it pertains to Dice Masters. And likely the sidekick card is nameless as it could be a monster or NPC because of flavor.

    See: Reasonableness in judging.
    How about this Judging Rule: When In Doubt, Choose the "Weaker" Option

  20. #20

  21. #21
    SarkhanMad supported by me!
    I will rule for Sidekicks too! They need love and a chance.

    Funny that we will see characters that try to be sidekicks in this game.

  22. #22
    It doesn't specify non-Sidekick, perfect. Exception proves the rule.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •