Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lantern Ring (not just jewllery/power ring)

They are not, because it is a "While Active" ability

While Lantern Ring is active,...
    WOL Rulebook - Page 26:

While Active: See Active.

Active: An effect that takes place when one or more of that card’s
    dice are in the field.

Effect singular. So it doesnt Stack.

Many Cards have also as reminder an additional text (No matter how much...)

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Whistler View Post
    Also, is it just me or is the rare version completely overpowered?
    Well there is also not an direct ruling for this.

It depends how you look at it.
    The Weakest option in my opinion, would be 1 symbol for the damage "They Deal" as a group.

Fuelled by imagination seems unambiguous: "Continuous: While active, when your characters attack, they deal 1 damage to target player for each energy symbol in your Reserve Pool that matches their type."

So if X attacks with 3 matching bolts in his reserve, the opponent takes 3 damage.

Granted they have to keep energy, but the effect applies to all his characters every time they effect (so long as the Ring is active). IMO, that's absolutely huge!

Well if you use the search function, you will 1 BIG THREAD about this Card and the different views on the ruling.

http://www.thereservepool.com/thread...t=Lantern+Ring

Well the text says "they" not for every one. But also i doesnt say, that it doesnt mean every one. So before you use this ring, you should ask your TO/Judge and or if its a friendship game, how you should rule and use it.

There is a SPECIFIC Ruling for the Rare Lantern Ring, Limited BY Imagination. Basically to summarize, While the Ring is Active, EACH CHARACTER deals 1 damage during the Assign Attackers step for each matching energy symbol in the Reserve Pool Area. This affect is considered to be a granted ability so cards that cost 3 or less do not receive the benefit if Zombie Magneto is on the opposite side of the board. It also means that Loki Laufeyson can remove the ability as well with his card wipe.

@Wargfn can please post the Link with Official Ruling and Rulepages for this instead of bombing a thread? For what do we have the other trhead for?
    There is no "each character " anywhere

Edit: Also it was never asked for ZMags.(Other thread again)

Quote Originally Posted by Wargfn View Post
    EACH CHARACTER
    Somehow, I managed to leave of DIE, it should be EACH CHARACTER DIE.

Thanks Wargfn.

For others watching this.

http://www.wizkidseventsystem.com/bb...hp?f=10&t=8509
    How does ignoring text/abilities work when action dice add abilities to characters and their dice?
    Treat additional abilities from action dice as abilities on those characters. Those abilities can be ignored, prevented, and modified as if they were character abilities. If an effect would give a character die +2A and Overcrush, but that character die’s abilities are being ignored, it couldn’t use Overcrush but would still get +2A. The attack bonus isn’t an ability.

There is the point, that clarifys it

I understand where i made mistakes. I am sorry, big marked things are not true!
    Here:
    Well there is also not an direct ruling for this.

It depends how you look at it.
    The Weakest option in my opinion, would be 1 symbol for the damage "They Deal" as a grou
    p.
    And Here
    Well the text says "they" not for every one. But also i doesnt say, that it doesnt mean every one. So before you use this ring, you should ask your TO/Judge and or if its a friendship game, how you should rule and use it.

@Ressless , no worries, the ruling from SLCC was a bit of a shock to a lot of people, and I for one am not sure I understand how to interpret some concepts that were at least before last weekend, well understood.

I'm still a bit confused: can you explain how it rules each instance of a character die?

That's the part that seems most overpowered to me. particularly alongside abilities such as Iceman or Prof X. A Bolt team could really abuse this.
    Not sure what you're asking. Yes, a bolt team could take advantage of this with Iceman.

I'm still a bit confused: can you explain how it rules each instance of a character die?

That's the part that seems most overpowered to me. particularly alongside abilities such as Iceman or Prof X. A Bolt team could really abuse this.
    Assumin you have 2 Bolt Characters and 1 Fist Character.

You use the Lantern Ring and he stays in the field.

with:

How does ignoring text/abilities work when action dice add abilities to characters and their dice?
    Treat additional abilities from action dice as abilities on those characters.
    You could think about a projection or temporary copy of the Lantern Ring ability on that characters that will attack in your turn.

So if you attack with 1 Bolt and one 1 Fist character , they both get the ability from the Ring on their cards for this turn at this situation. Even so, it is temporary(see next example).

You have a Human Paladin with the Magic Helmet that let the Paladin immune to all abilities and effects. You attack with something and your opponent blocks with Namor: Atlantean, the one that can cancel, if blocking, an action die. He would block. cancel your Magic Helmet.

Before the block of Namor, your opponent couldnt scratch Human Paladin with an ability and so on. But after that. He can for example damage the Paladin with Magic Missile and so on, because the Ability from the Magic helmet is no more projected on him.

Okay lets say you are playing a Teen Titan Team, With Beast Boy Gar (Fist), Starfire Outlaw (Bolt), and Raven Rachel Roth (Mask), and Wonder Girl Cassie Sandsmark (Shield).

IT is the Attack Step, and in your Field Zone you have the following Dice:
    Beast Boy, Starfire, Beast Boy, Raven, Wonder Girl, Wonder Girl, and a Last Beast Boy, Lantern Ring (Rare) (8 Dice)

In your Reserve Pool, you have (4 dice)

You have decided NOT to spend any of your reserve pool during your main step.

Attack Step:
    You Push everything forward: Beast Boy, Starfire, Beast Boy, Raven, Wonder Girl, Wonder Girl, and a Last Beast Boy
    Now because Lantern Ring is Active, each of your dice gain the Ability from the Power Ring's Text:
    The First Beast Boy does 2 damage to your opponent, because you have two fists in your ReservePool, during the Assign Attackers Step (which is when you resolve when attacking abilities)
    The Second Beast Boy does 2 damage to your opponent, because you have two fists in your Reserve Pool.
    The Third Beast Boy does 2 damage to your opponent, because you have two fists in your Reserver Pool.
    The Single Starfire die, does not benefit from the Lantern Power Ring, as you have no BOLTS in your reserve pool.
    The First Wonder Girl die does 1 damage, because you have a shield in your Reserve Pool.
    The Second Wonder Girl die does 1 damage, because you have a shield in your Reserve Pool.
    The only Raven die, does 1 damage, because you have a mask in your Reserve Pool.

So you have now done 9 Damage to your opponent from Lantern Ring, in just having energy in your Reserve Pool matching their character energy.

Now, the Turn would move the the "Assign Blockers" Step. And your opponent just took nearly 1/2 his life if he was at 20.

I set up an example, the ruling came from SLCC and was backed on the Wizkids forum. -> http://jimmysflowinglocks.party/post...-is-kyle-he-is <- Read this for two important rulings.

WizKids haven't confirmed the SLCC ruling in terms of how you calculate the damage dealt.

They have only confirmed that it is an ability that is conferred upon the attacking character(s).

So we still have at least two possible interpretations:

1: That each character deals an amount of damage equal to the total number of energy symbols in reserve that match that character's energy type.

2: That each character deals a single point of damage if there is one or more energy symbols in reserve that match that character's energy type.

They also issued a ruling guidance that states when in doubt choose the least powerful interpretation.

Which would be the second one.

But, they also said to choose the most popular.

(And it ignores the question of whether the damage should be dealt per unique character or per die, which also was not answered)

SI understand how the effect works, I just don't understand the reasoning behind it.
    Well you are not alone there. At some point I am sure it will be brought out at some point.

But neither of those interpretations address the issue of whether the ability affects characters, regardless of how many dice are fielded, or per character die. That is what I'm asking: where does the ruling address whether it applies to dice or just character.
    Sorry, I should have included a quote in my post.

I was responding to the more general idea that how the ring works was fully addressed in that ruling.

But neither of those interpretations address the issue of whether the ability affects characters, regardless of how many dice are fielded, or per character die. That is what I'm asking: where does the ruling address whether it applies to dice or just character.
    Neither. The Card says "they" like i mentioned before. I are assuming, that it has to be on every character to make the ability to happen. Otherwise the Wizkids Post about Ignoring, deleting the Text of cards that got such an ability would be a little bit pointless.

(Following on from my previous post)

However, I think we can rule out the 'per unique character' for the following two reasons:

1: The ability gained is not a 'while active' effect. It is a 'when assigned to attack' ability.
    2: Such abilities trigger per die because being assigned to attack is something that occurs per die, not per unique character.

So, whilst this aspect of the Lantern Ring effect is not dealt with in the ruling, we can fall back on our broader understanding of how such effects work within the game.

(That does still leave the question of whether it is 'per die per matching symbol count' or 'per die with at least one matching symbol', though.)