Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Countering Nova - The Human Rocket

Countering Nova - The Human Rocket

Nova states "Whenever Nova takes damage in an attack step, he deals 2 damage to your opponent."

With the use of the Magic Missile or Slifer global, and any kind of luck, meaning rolling level 2 or 3 Nova, this is 10 or 12 damage to your opponent when you combine with PXG.

In a world of complete set mixing for constructed, what are the counters?

Storm Windrider (50/50 chance, but worth it I think)
    Human Torch Johnny Storm (takes awhile but every damage is one less they can do to Nova)
    Ring of Magnetism Action Attraction? (Combo with something like Hulk?)
    Loki Gemkeeper? (If you can KO Nova, you block them from ever fielding him again)

Quote Originally Posted by zeon20 View Post
    You also magic missile global nova before the attack step in order to reduce the amount of damage the opponent could do with nova.
    Reducing damage doesn't solve the problem, it just delays my death by a turn or two. Yes, if my counter is a turn away, then I can ping Nova for 1, and that saves me 2 life, never a bad thing. But what I really need is something that gets rid of Nova or prevents him from using the ability.

Lord of D plus Ring would stop him from pinging with anything. Or, bring your own Nova and put a ring on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Or, bring your own Nova and put a ring on him.
    I feel like this build needs to be called Beyonce's Single Ladies

Imprisoned too. But one thing we saw at the thing today was that Nova didn't really have enough staying power to compete. Evan had a pretty typical Nova team and determined that if you need to pull energy off to respond to things you just don't have enough offense otherwise to get things done.

I'm sure he'll post it later. I think Nova is viable and just shy of as good as the Hulk stuff that's happening. He tested well for me but I can see where Evan is coming from. I can't remember whether he was first or second, he'll have to go on about that. I think we have some ideas for what could make Nova teams better and DC could help... But that's a work in progress still.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    I'm sure he'll post it later. I think Nova is viable and just shy of as good as the Hulk stuff that's happening. He tested well for me but I can see where Evan is coming from. I can't remember whether he was first or second, he'll have to go on about that. I think we have some ideas for what could make Nova teams better and DC could help... But that's a work in progress still.
    Can someone explain exactly how to use Nova + Magic Missile? The part that confuses me is "Whenever Nova takes damage in an attack step..."

How do you trigger his ability without declaring him an attacker? Do you attack with something else (like a Sidekick) and then just ping Nova in the field with as many Magic Missiles as you can without knocking him out? If so, what's the proper order for doing that? Thanks for the clarification.

I typically just attack with something else and Ping Nova. If I can win with enough pings I'll typically knock him out.

The order is main phase for me is have at the most one bolt. Attack with.....I dont know go with Constantine. They set up blockers then I use Icemans Too Cool for Words and turn a couple of my SK's into bolts and Ping Nova away. Then I distract back Constantine before anything happens.
    Another trick is to keep a couple of Sidekicks fielded. You store up your 'bolts'

1. Declare Nova (and whoever else you want) as an attacker.
      • Resolve any "When attacks" effects.
    2. Opponent declares any blockers
      • Resolve any "When blocks" effects.
    3. Window for Global Abilities (both players) and Action Dice (Active Player)
    4. Resolve damage

In the bolded section, during the window for Global Abilities, you can ping Nova up to his Defense Value (assuming he hadn't been damaged before the attack step). Each ping (from Magic Missile for example) will do 1 damage to him and he will deal 2 damage to the opponent. When he only has 1 health left, you can either ping him one last time, KOing him but processing his effect, allow him to be KO'd by a blocker (still processing his effect), pull him back with the Distraction Global, or if he's unblocked you can let him go through for his entire attack value.

Quote Originally Posted by VastSpartan View Post
    I typically just attack with something else and Ping Nova. If I can win with enough pings I'll typically knock him out.

The order is main phase for me is have at the most one bolt. Attack with.....I dont know go with Constantine. They set up blockers then I use Icemans Too Cool for Words and turn a couple of my SK's into bolts and Ping Nova away. Then I distract back Constantine before anything happens.
    Another trick is to keep a couple of Sidekicks fielded. You store up your 'bolts'
    You can actually attack with the sidekicks you plan to turn into bolts, and that will still let you ping Nova.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    You can actually attack with the sidekicks you plan to turn into bolts, and that will still let you ping Nova.
    Interesting. So in this case, is this how it would work?

1. Declare 2 sidekicks as attackers
    2. Opponent declares blockers
    3. Use Iceman global to turn those 2 sidekicks in the attack zone into bolts and use those 2 bolts (in addition to others stored in your reserve) to ping Nova.

What happens then? Your opponents assigned blockers just return to the field? Seems like a good way to save a mask by not using Distraction.

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by reaverdrop View Post
    Interesting. So in this case, is this how it would work?

1. Declare 2 sidekicks as attackers
    2. Opponent declares blockers
    3. Use Iceman global to turn those 2 sidekicks in the attack zone into bolts and use those 2 bolts (in addition to others stored in your reserve) to ping Nova.

What happens then? Your opponents assigned blockers just return to the field? Seems like a good way to save a mask by not using Distraction.
    That is precisely how it goes.

But for a counter, consider hulk. Your opponent is likely bringing the globals you need for spot removal. I like Jade Giant. If your opponent pings Nova, you take two damage and hulk kos Nova. Or, if you have a bolt, ping hulk in the main step and avoid the damage altogether.

As for countering there's a good couple of ways.

Grundy

Millenium Puzzle

Hulk Jade Giant/Green Goliath

Deadpool jack + Distraction/Smash

Psylocke Kwannon the Assassin

Nightcrawler

There's a possibility they might let him through. I want Nova on the field as long as I can possibly have him. He's a threat just being on the field. There's also the possibility if I ping him too much and the blocker KO's my Nova.

Also I forgot to mention. These on are on my team So masks arent too big of a deal to save.

millenium puzzle is great targeted removal, and it sends somone to used.

Professor X: Charles Francis Xavier or Joker: Red Hood are options as well.

Jinzo: Trap Destroyer is a great counter to Nova: The Human Rocket.

While this monster is active, your opponent must pay 2 life to use an action die or global ability.
    Assuming you can get Jinzo out fast enough, each ping to Nova will cause your opponent to to pay two life. This synergies well with the previously mentioned Imprisoned BAC as your capture would not be negated.

They'll just get a counter out before or after Jinzo is out on the field. I have Deadpool - Jack and Hulk on my team waiting if I ever see a Jinzo.

It's also not a counter. It stalls Nova being pinged. Counter would mean it neutralizes certain effects or everything.

Millenium Puzzle or Jinzo are excellent. Thousand Dragon rare can also effectively reduce the cost of the millenium puzzle to 3, giving you some very cheap, very viable control. Grundy does the job well too, but requires blue-eyes, so it's not a budget answer unless you already own one.

Lately I've been messing with nova a lot and I believe that nova is only "good" going first. So unless it's the only win condition your opponent brought, I wouldn't worry as much about him if the nova player has to go second.