Thread: Zin Bins- First Thoughts

Zin Bins- First Thoughts

I ordered some Zen Bins immediately after the Kickstarter closed during their special buy in period. I ordered the clear bins with base and lid. They arrived today and thought I'd share my initial reactions.

First, they are smaller than I expected. When I first ordered them, I was expecting something closer to a Quarriors or DM Collector's Box size box insert. That said, I was able to put 50 dice and 60 or so cards in one tray. The dice and cards fit perfectly in the trays. They are well designed in this regard. The base is deeper than a tray and has a center compartment to put a cloth dice bag or two. I also put in a folded card stock playmat and a life counter die. The two side compartments of the base will hold more dice or cards. I put BAC dice and sidekick dice in them. The trays, base, and lid snap together nicely and keeps everything in its place. They seem secure, but are not difficult to separate. Overall, while the size of the tray wasn't what I expected, I think it will serve me well. I intend to use it to carry my constructed teams with me for my regular DM sessions.

Second, the plastic the trays are made of are definitely thicker and more sturdy than the Collector's box trays and lids. I have a Justice League tray lid that has already torn where the plastic was particularly thin. So far, the Zen Bins are sturdier. That said, They aren't as solid as I would have liked to see them. I wonder over the long haul how they are going to hold up, especially as I carry them back and forth.

Originally, I was going to move all my dice out of the bead boxes I have been using. Now I'm not so sure. I think I'd rather use a single tray, base, and lid to transport three or four constructed teams. One base, tray, and lid are a nice size.

Total, I spent $70 for the trays, extra lids and bases and shipping. For that much money, I would like to have had something a bit more substantial or durable feeling. At this point, I believe they will be useful containers to use, but they are not substantially better than the cheaper bead boxes I have been using. I prefer to keep my cards in a binder, so I won't store my cards in the tray. So for me I would have preferred to have had more dice storage.

Bottom line, had I been able to see and feel them in person before buying, I would not have bought as much as I did. One base, one lid, and a couple of trays would have been plenty for me. They won't satisfy my desire for long term storage. On the other hand, I think a base/tray/lid combo will be perfect to carry back and forth to matches.

EDIT: Sorry for misspelling ZEN in the title!

Just FYI, you can put dice in the card areas on the sides for storage. Not as easy to get out as the designed trays in the middle, but it works.

The smoke colored bins are a little thicker plastic.

I'm happy with my set. I use it primarily for transport to events. In my base I have most of the Basic Action Cards, my dice bag, spin down d20, and other counters. I also have one regular tray and a lid to store my team for the event. This works great for rainbow drafts or constructed events, although as the number of Basic Action cards increase, I may have to add another regular tray in order to pack them all to the event.

I just use those boxes used for baseball cards, then put the dice in dime bags inside the box with a divider separating them from the cards. Literally less than a dollar to store an entire set of cards and I have my dice sorted for pennies. 3 bucks gets plenty of dime bags and each one can hold 2 characters. So for any given set I spend like 2 dollars-ish to store it perfectly and completely sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by Scum View Post
    I just use those boxes used for baseball cards, then put the dice in dime bags inside the box with a divider separating them from the cards. Literally less than a dollar to store an entire set of cards and I have my dice sorted for pennies. 3 bucks gets plenty of dime bags and each one can hold 2 characters. So for any given set I spend like 2 dollars-ish to store it perfectly and completely sorted.
    I do something similar, but have yet to find a solution that handles all this AND my mat. Does such an option exist? Keep in my I have one of the big pretty official mats.

Quote Originally Posted by Joepancreas View Post
    I do something similar, but have yet to find a solution that handles all this AND my mat. Does such an option exist? Keep in my I have one of the big pretty official mats.
    I just lug my mat around.

Just carry your mat.....what's the big deal? Have a backpack with your dice box containing spin down die, cards, dice and dice bag. The mat is rolled up free in the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by VastSpartan View Post
    Why waste 70 when you can spend 10 bucks buying one of these?
    http://m.homedepot.com/p/HDX-12-5-in...0028/204645520
    Because that is ugly, bulky, and more expensive that the bead boxes I already have. I purchased the Zen Bins thinking they would be my new, permanent storage solution. They are definitely useful, but not in all the ways I wanted them to be.

Zen Bins are pretty clunky, but they're nice for throwing teams in.

Ugly? You're looking to store dice and lug them around to trade. It's not fashion

Such a waste of money

Wow. I just carry my team in the dicebag itself. The bags that come with the collector boxes or even the "Cheapy" dice bags at the shop have plenty of room for the cards, dice and anything else you need except a mat. I am trying to 3-d print a folding plastic mat for just this reason. I even found a small plastic bin with a snap in place lid at the local dollar store that matches my bag's color and is exactly big enough for my cards and all my non-sidekick dice. It's pretty slick and takes up next to no room.

As for trade, I keep my more desirable stuff in a separate bag/bin. My overflow goes in a collector box that usually stays in the car during events.

Ugly? You're looking to store dice and lug them around to trade. It's not fashion

Such a waste of money
    You asked why I didn't choose your preferred storage method.
    A. It is more expensive than the bead boxes I already use.
    B. It is bigger and bulkier than the bead boxes I currently use.
    C. It looks ugly on the shelf, and while you don't care, my wife does. And 100 times out of 100 times, I'm going to try to please my wife over you.

I'm sure you spend your money on things I consider wasteful. But it is not my business. I don't really care what your opinion is on the way I spend my money.

For $70 I purchased 26 trays, 2 lids, and two bases. They are compact and take up much less shelf space than the seven bead boxes I currently need to sort and store my collection. Each tray holds 50 dice, and the trays stack together, which means I could put all my dice and cards in them. Each tray cost about $2.34 each when I purchased them. That makes them comparable in price to the box you use when you start counting the number of dice being stored.

For me, I don't want to store my dice in the trays because I want to access them more easily. Because I have a difficult time visualizing things in the abstract, I was anticipating something different than what came.

I really like the Zen Bins for carrying a few constructed teams back and forth to events. I don't like them for long term, permanent storage. Not a fault of Zen Bins, but of my preferences. Had I realized this from the beginning, I would have purchased far fewer of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Razorback View Post
    You asked why I didn't choose your preferred storage method.
    A. It is more expensive than the bead boxes I already use.
    B. It is bigger and bulkier than the bead boxes I currently use.
    C. It looks ugly on the shelf, and while you don't care, my wife does. And 100 times out of 100 times, I'm going to try to please my wife over you.

I'm sure you spend your money on things I consider wasteful. But it is not my business. I don't really care what your opinion is on the way I spend my money.

For $70 I purchased 26 trays, 2 lids, and two bases. They are compact and take up much less shelf space than the seven bead boxes I currently need to sort and store my collection. Each tray holds 50 dice, and the trays stack together, which means I could put all my dice and cards in them. Each tray cost about $2.34 each when I purchased them. That makes them comparable in price to the box you use when you start counting the number of dice being stored.

For me, I don't want to store my dice in the trays because I want to access them more easily. Because I have a difficult time visualizing things in the abstract, I was anticipating something different than what came.

I really like the Zen Bins for carrying a few constructed teams back and forth to events. I don't like them for long term, permanent storage. Not a fault of Zen Bins, but of my preferences. Had I realized this from the beginning, I would have purchased far fewer of them.
    A. I dont know how much a bead box is
    B. That's an opinion (specifically if we're talking about the HDX box vs Zin Bin)
    C. I'm not married and I didnt know you were. I'm not pleasing anyone except storing 5 expansions in one box carrying four dice from every card.

Wasteful? I live on a budget so no not really. I dont have the luxury to be wasteful.

I stored the dice by color which isn't difficult to reach.

A. I dont know how much a bead box is
    B. That's an opinion (specifically if we're talking about the HDX box vs Zin Bin)
    C. I'm not married and I didnt know you were. I'm not pleasing anyone except storing 5 expansions in one box carrying four dice from every card.

Wasteful? I live on a budget so no not really. I dont have the luxury to be wasteful.

I stored the dice by color which isn't difficult to reach.
    No need to start a fight everyone can choose how they want to spent money on storage.

Quote Originally Posted by KennedyHawk View Post
    No need to start a fight everyone can choose how they want to spent money on storage.
    What fight?

I bought into the ZenBins Kickstarter. I have been carrying around my constructed teams and all of my BACs in a set now for over 2 months. There has been no noticeable wear on the trays and they have not cracked yet, despite heavy usage. Before the ZenBins, I would cary my constructed team around in a Deck Box for WoWTCG. It worked great but only had enough room for 1 constructed team and about 25ish BACs.

Longer Term Dice Storage, I am still using Collector's Boxes, one per set. I put 5 dice of each character in them for the set so I can always find the dice I am looking for based on the set. The Collector's Boxes look good and are great with my other games like Quarriors which all sit on a shelf of games together.

Quote Originally Posted by Wargfn View Post
    I bought into the ZenBins Kickstarter. I have been carrying around my constructed teams and all of my BACs in a set now for over 2 months. There has been no noticeable wear on the trays and they have not cracked yet, despite heavy usage. Before the ZenBins, I would cary my constructed team around in a Deck Box for WoWTCG. It worked great but only had enough room for 1 constructed team and about 25ish BACs.

Longer Term Dice Storage, I am still using Collector's Boxes, one per set. I put 5 dice of each character in them for the set so I can always find the dice I am looking for based on the set. The Collector's Boxes look good and are great with my other games like Quarriors which all sit on a shelf of games together.
    That's good to hear. I moved all my D&D dice to the Zen Bins. I want to try it for a while to see how I like using them as a permanent home before I make a final decision.

Re Collector's Box: Do you put dice on the lid/second tray? I tried and found it usually made a mess. The dice didn't stay in place or I had to take them all off in order to get to the tray beneath.

That's good to hear. I moved all my D&D dice to the Zen Bins. I want to try it for a while to see how I like using them as a permanent home before I make a final decision.

Re Collector's Box: Do you put dice on the lid/second tray? I tried and found it usually made a mess. The dice didn't stay in place or I had to take them all off in order to get to the tray beneath.
    I use two collectors boxes (along with a Daedalus case and now ZenBins). I keep dice on the top and the moving around or spill problem can be solved with Box Bands, aka four way rubber bands. The tighter the better. With those I can toss and turn the box and everything will be in order when I open it.

I do not put dice on the Lid/Second Tray. Because I am not storing any cards in the Collector's boxes, I use the two bins for overflow of dice. I put the starter dice in the bottom then the extra 7 character dice sets on top of those. It fits 5 dice across. The extra dice from the 4 BL / Zombie / Chase cards all flow over to the other bin, which has the color indicator cards for BACs in them.

I also purchased an extra two Collector's Boxes to store the Yu-Gi-Oh set and the D&D Battle for Faerun set. I am very happy to see that the next D&D set will be including a Collector's Box and that the Turtles Box Set is a collector's box in size. I have some printed graphics glued to the outside of the boxes to replace the original artwork on the boxes.

I'd recommend staying away from the Zen-Bins, I have had cards get bent from the side pockets when snapping the lids in place, granted I may have had to high of a stack of card in there to begin with.

My kicker is the fact that the smoke base (i.e. thinker plastic) I have had already started to fall apart from traveling in my backpack. One corner has started to bend and there is a tear in the plastic now. These are not up to the quality I had expected and I am very disappointed.