Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Testers wanted!

Testers wanted!

If you have a couple of minutes, I'd appreciate you going to this link to test out something I'm working on. Please report back in this thread if it worked and what you think of it. You'll see instructions on the linked page, but below is an example of what it looks like in action:

Worked for me on Google Chrome 45.0.2454.101 on Windows 8.

Also Safari on iPhone 5 running iOS 7.

Worked on both my phone Galaxy browser and Chrome laptop. Such a cool thing @Ken !

Worked in Chrome 45.0.2454.89 on iPhone 5s running iOS 9.0.1.

Worked well with Safari Version 9.0 (11601.1.56) on Mac OS X 10.11

Works on Firefox version 41.0.1. The code is somewhat case sensitive. [Angel] and [angel] work, but [AnGeL] does not work. For Black Widow I can use [BlackWidow] and [blackwidow] but not [Blackwidow] or [Black Widow].

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    If you have a couple of minutes, I'd appreciate you going to this link to test out something I'm working on. Please report back in this thread if it worked and what you think of it. You'll see instructions on the linked page, but below is an example of what it looks like in action:

Windows 7. Internet Explorer V11.0.9600.18015
    Worked perfect with angel and beast. blackwidow only works when a beast or angel or another word came after it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	3350

didn't work for me.
    galaxy s3
    opera mini and default browser

Worked on iPad using iOS 8.4.1

@Ken are they going to link to the wiki?

@pk2317 , @IsaacBV , @Scorpion0x17 , @Ktdata , @Dave , @Scum , @Bobcat110 , @SarkhanMad , @Razorback :

Thank you for the reports. I've got a second test page with lots more symbols (all of AvX as well as sidekick and basic action dice) you can look at if you wish. If you do, please let me know if all is still well with it. Here's a screenshot of part of the page:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	symbolstest2.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	106.5 KB 
ID:	3359

Based on the reports above, it looks like it's working most everywhere except Opera Mini, and is a bit flaky on Internet Explorer.

Opera Mini: Given the tiny market share Opera has, and seeing how even if it doesn't work, there is a fallback where you still see what the person was talking about (e.g., the text [beast] shows instead of the symbol), I don't think I'll worry about that.

Internet Explorer: I played around with this quite a bit, based on the issue mentioned in Bobcat110's report. It seems like the technique works well in recent versions of Internet Explorer EXCEPT in areas where users can type a message. In other words, [blackwidow] would always work after the message was submitted, but not always immediately when typing. So it's not a showstopper. In any event, I think I've come up with a fix for Internet Explorer that works in all cases provided you have typed at least one character before the opening bracket. Please check the second test page and let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by SarkhanMad View Post
    @Ken are they going to link to the wiki?
    That's the beauty of how I implemented this. Yes, when I roll it out, it will work EVERYWHERE. Wiki, blogs, calendar events, forum messages, it'll even work in message subject lines.

--------
    If anybody wants to put a bit of extra thought in to help develop this, feel free to provide opinions on the following:

1) Right now, I'm using brackets around the character names. I'm a bit worried that some day that might conflict with a BBCode (e.g., if there was ever a character named "Quote" or something). Any suggestions of something to use instead? Perhaps curly braces as in {beast} instead of [beast]? or perhaps #beast# or |beast| or /beast/?

2) Have a look at all of the character symbols on the new test page. Do any look too big/prominent or too small compared to the others?

3) Suggestions on how to handle one character having multiple symbols in different sets? Do we label each character by set, like [avxbeast], [uxmbeast], and [aoubeast]?

@Ken it looks good on IE. I just tested everyone of them out. blackwidow works fine as long as you have text before it in a blank box as you said. not a big problem at all.

@Ken - a few thoughts.

1. This is awesome!
    2. I think avxbeast makes sense, especially because they're starting to use different symbols on each new iteration (black widow will have 3 once ASM comes out)
    3. Concern - reuse of dice molds. If you're just using black and white images, how do you distinguish between hulk and red hulk? Between Phoenix and Phoenix force? Atom and Atomica? Green lantern and Hal Jordan?
    4. I would LOVE to see affiliation symbols, even more than characters. Just need to distinguish between shield energy and SHIELD affiliation.
    5. What @SarkhanMad was talking about was having the symbols be clickable to link to the wiki. If you wrapped WIKI tags around it in the code it should work.

Working on my android using Chrome browser n

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    1) Right now, I'm using brackets around the character names. I'm a bit worried that some day that might conflict with a BBCode (e.g., if there was ever a character named "Quote" or something). Any suggestions of something to use instead? Perhaps curly braces as in {beast} instead of [beast]? or perhaps #beast# or |beast| or /beast/?
    Any reason to not use colons, eg :beast:, @Ken?

Both pages work fine on my Mac OS 10.11 Laptop with Chrome. I really think this is pretty cool. Lots of work to get all of the other sets in though. I think I have AvX and UxM Symbols on the dice somewhere. You want them?

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    Any reason to not use colons, eg :beast:, @Ken?
    I don't think we'll have any naming conflicts so about the only downside I can think of using colons is possible confusion. The existing colon codes 1) only substitute after you've submitted your message, 2) load full color images, and 3) and only work in specific areas. These new codes will 1) work wherever there is text, 2) be only a single color (but are styleable), and 3) show up instantly. How are they style-able? They effectively a text glyph and can by styled the same as any text (change sizes and colors, make bold, etc.).

What do you all think? Is it not really that confusing? Or still do colons despite possible confusion?

Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    @Ken - a few thoughts.

1. This is awesome!
    2. I think avxbeast makes sense, especially because they're starting to use different symbols on each new iteration (black widow will have 3 once ASM comes out)
    3. Concern - reuse of dice molds. If you're just using black and white images, how do you distinguish between hulk and red hulk? Between Phoenix and Phoenix force? Atom and Atomica? Green lantern and Hal Jordan?
    4. I would LOVE to see affiliation symbols, even more than characters. Just need to distinguish between shield energy and SHIELD affiliation.
    5. What @SarkhanMad was talking about was having the symbols be clickable to link to the wiki. If you wrapped WIKI tags around it in the code it should work.
    1. Thanks! It works be using a special font I've created. That font uses a font feature called ligatures to do the heavy lifting of automatically substituting. I've never seen ligatures used in this way before, so it might be a first!

2. @Randy first proposed that in our private chat and I'm starting to warm up to it. I was hoping for something nice and short ([beast] vs [avxbeast]), but AoU really did show us that redrawn character symbols won't be uncommon.

3. You can color the glyph yourself. When this system rolls out [hulk] and [redhulk] (or whatever syntax we come up with here) both would show that same hulk fist symbol. You couldn't tell which was which, but [hulk] would appear as a green fist and [redhulk] would appear as a red fist. You just use the same tools you use to change font colors to change the resulting symbol colors. Most of the time, the black and white is sufficient though and is less distracting if included in a paragraph of text.

4. Do you happen to have a source for these drawn as vector art? (SVG files, Adobe Illustrator files, etc.) If you do, it would be easy for me to do that.

5. Sorry, I read that too quickly. Unfortunately, you'll still have to link it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Wargfn View Post
    Both pages work fine on my Mac OS 10.11 Laptop with Chrome. I really think this is pretty cool. Lots of work to get all of the other sets in though. I think I have AvX and UxM Symbols on the dice somewhere. You want them?
    Yep, lots of work yet. All of AvX is done, using @NDZooDZoo 's excellent redrawing of them from last year. He and I have been PMing and he's going to start working on other sets (we're still working out a plan), but if you've got clear images of UxM symbols, I'm sure that, yes, that would be helpful!

@Crestfallen I believe has all the affiliation symbols that we've been using in the WIKI in black and white, they are currently PNG files (with transparent backgrounds) sized appropriately for text. He may have them higher resolution elsewhere.

Affiliations has all the symbols released so far (except, I think, ASM) and on each page at the bottom is the colored larger symbol and the smaller (preferred) b&w symbol.

One more thing: if these are font characters does that mean transparent backgrounds? That's one thing the current colon codes are missing that would be awesome.

Yes, hi res affiliation pngs would help. We'd still have to redraw them as vector images/svgs before we can use them in this system.

@pk2317 yep, the backgrounds are transparent. Think of them as them a regular character. Any properties of a regular character on your screen will apply.

Using colors with the die images to differentiate between character rarities seems like a natural useage of this.

Quote Originally Posted by IgwanaRob View Post
    Using colors with the die images to differentiate between character rarities seems like a natural useage of this.
    Yeah, that would work in contexts where the exact card matters. It's a tool and (I think) has some useful uses and some fun uses.