Thread: Bored Recently of Dice Masters Building

Bored Recently of Dice Masters Building

Anyone having trouble or just bored of building a deck? I haven't played a in about 2 weeks and I cant think up of any cards to build off of. The new Magic expansion took up two weeks at my local game store. Vassal has been barren too.

War of Light also little to no cards for unlimited that I would build off of. Limited is great but as for new ideas......none.

The only card I have never been able to crack is but the cards are limited for this character. The only one that I've seen that would work is Click image for larger version. 

Name:	102.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	3349

Anyone had this problem?

It seems like there are plenty of characters to build around.

-UC Fatality
    -Rare Lantern Ring
    -Any Lantern Ring
    -SR Lantern Battery
    -Auto attack Guy Gardener
    -All of the teen titans

Just off the top of my head. It seems the reason most people get stuck is they refused to try out new things over true and tested teams.

Even someone as simple as Common Jade just does wonders for a BEWD bolts team.

PLay some Boardgames, look at some Decks build by other People and just play them. Sometimes the fuel is just empty and needs time to refill.

Of all the people that should be bored with deck building, it's probably me. A rigorous 1-2 teams a week is a tough schedule for deck building, but I have found that there is an easy solution to keeping things interesting: Just pick a card and go with it. Think of every team you build with a random card as an experiment in that cards viability, and a test o the strength of the mechanics behind that card. Sure, you'll still get bored with them sometimes, but that's just because some teams, while interesting on paper, just don't hold up to the rigors of competition. However, if you can find a group of guys that like to play an array of formats, you can keep things interesting by just starting fresh each time a deck gets repetitive.

Good luck on your brewing, and hopefully see you on Vassal to test your newest creation.

I'm now set up in such a way that I never need to try and win at locals anymore, unless we have some special event going on, which is great. I've been poring over my boxes of cards lately and I've got so many ideas I can't possibly decide what to play this week. Not needing to prove anything is very liberating, maybe I'll show some of the fun little ideas I've had off here soon. Would probably make a good blog post actually.

I've been thinking about how many teams I've been seeing lately aren't swarming the board to overwhelm the opponent, so I've been building to fix that. D&D and Yugioh are great places to find things to build with for that purpose, and they're still the best sets for building fun stuff in my opinion. Fingers crossed for Yugioh series 2 next year!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    Of all the people that should be bored with deck building, it's probably me. A rigorous 1-2 teams a week is a tough schedule for deck building, but I have found that there is an easy solution to keeping things interesting: Just pick a card and go with it. Think of every team you build with a random card as an experiment in that cards viability, and a test o the strength of the mechanics behind that card. Sure, you'll still get bored with them sometimes, but that's just because some teams, while interesting on paper, just don't hold up to the rigors of competition. However, if you can find a group of guys that like to play an array of formats, you can keep things interesting by just starting fresh each time a deck gets repetitive.

Good luck on your brewing, and hopefully see you on Vassal to test your newest creation.
    Ive built multiple decks since I started to play.
    So far on my phone I have 17 solid decks.

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    I'm now set up in such a way that I never need to try and win at locals anymore, unless we have some special event going on, which is great. I've been poring over my boxes of cards lately and I've got so many ideas I can't possibly decide what to play this week. Not needing to prove anything is very liberating, maybe I'll show some of the fun little ideas I've had off here soon. Would probably make a good blog post actually.

I've been thinking about how many teams I've been seeing lately aren't swarming the board to overwhelm the opponent, so I've been building to fix that. D&D and Yugioh are great places to find things to build with for that purpose, and they're still the best sets for building fun stuff in my opinion. Fingers crossed for Yugioh series 2 next year!
    Ive won a couple of events. More draft than constructed. Id play more if I had a DM partner.
    I've read up on what type of player I am (The MTG definitions. Timmy, Johnny and Spike). I'm all 3 types.

Timmy side. I love playing this game and talking to the people as I play. Social gamer (who isnt in DM?)

Johnny Side. I enjoy showing my creativity. I don't enjoy copying decks. If by chance I do copy something I put my own spin on it.

Spike Side. I enjoy stomping through my opponents in tourney. Showing my skill. In casual I dont mind losing but I dont enjoy losing. Tuning all my deck. Efficient play at 100%.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s6ugd.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	3360

Quote Originally Posted by VastSpartan View Post
    Ive won a couple of events. More draft than constructed. Id play more if I had a DM partner.
    I've read up on what type of player I am (The MTG definitions. Timmy, Johnny and Spike). I'm all 3 types.

Timmy side. I love playing this game and talking to the people as I play. Social gamer (who isnt in DM?)

Johnny Side. I enjoy showing my creativity. I don't enjoy copying decks. If by chance I do copy something I put my own spin on it.

Spike Side. I enjoy stomping through my opponents in tourney. Showing my skill. In casual I dont mind losing but I dont enjoy losing. Tuning all my deck. Efficient play at 100%.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s6ugd.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	3360
    Something about the Johnny, Timmy and Spike idea has never quite sat well with me, I always feel like it's trying to simplify playerbases but fails miserably. It works in general, but if you get right down to it, I don't like it.

Anyways, the point I was making there in my jumble of thoughts was that I've been fortunate enough to have accumulated enough cards to sit down and play whatever I'd like to play, so I've been able to go over basically any card anyone could ever want in person, and have tons of starting points, kind of like what @Shadowmeld talked about in his post. Since the only prizes we can win in tournaments comes down to store credit, packs or OP cards, none of which are necessarily priorities, I can just bring whatever to a tournament and not care if I lose horrifically, which makes the game a lot more fun for me.

Reading over your response, my main advice would be to teach yourself to not necessarily enjoy losing in casuals, but to become perfectly ok with it and focus on just having fun. It's really easy to say, I get it, and it took me years and years of gaming in all sorts of different spheres to reach this point, but it does make the hobby more enjoyable. I've gotten to know so many great people through playing this game, and at the end of the day, that's all that matters to me now.