Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Parallax global free use?

Parallax global free use?

I was happy to see the global on all the versions of parallax. It seams like it could be really useful.

It occurs to me that if you roll a double energy on a character dice you could roll down the die to pay the cost and then reroll that same die as part of the effect of the global.

Does this work as I think? Would it be useful for anything in particular or just a handy free use of the global?

Sprugly

You can't reroll a die that has been spun down to pay a cost. I don't have the ruling (I'm on my phone at work, sorry).

Quote Originally Posted by OddballNarwhal View Post
    You can't reroll a die that has been spun down to pay a cost. I don't have the ruling (I'm on my phone at work, sorry).
    Incorrect, as long as you have spun it to a single energy face you can reroll that die. The only time this applies as not being allowed to reroll a die is when there is not a single energy face to spin it down, and being that you cannot partially spend energy the die would be an illegal target. This would really only apply to basic action dice and the action dice from yu gi oh.

False. See d&d rule book. Cannot reroll a partially spent die.

see I don't believe this makes the dice an illegal target unless you are spending 1 of 2 generic energy to reroll it. You are spinning down a dice to a single energy face, then choosing targets, the dice in your reserve pool is in your reserve pool, therefore there should be no reason it is an illegal target. Every time I have seen them mention not being able to partially spend energy it applies to basic actions and action dice that have no single energy face.

If wording is considered consistent across rule books, partially spent energy is only when they are talking about a dice that cannot be spun down,
    Those dice cannot be rerolled in this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy Mon View Post
    I agree with you 100%. ....but why isn't that in the most up to date rulebook? Why are we having to look back 4 sets ago to find it in the rulebook if it is, in fact, a current rule?

I'm pretty sure both @OddballNarwhal and @IndyMon are correct but I can't seem to locate it. Basically this question was asked back AVX because people wanted to know if you rolled a double energy on a villain die and a mask if you could spend one of those energies then use Magneto to reroll the die, and the answer was no. Not because Magneto couldn't target it but because once you start spending off of a die you can't reroll it.

This would have been ruled like this with the original magneto global if that was the case and that has never been the case to my knowledge. You could spin down a villain die with a single mask (like magneto) and reroll it. Always a chance I'm wrong here but the current WoL rule book does not have the same wording anywhere in the book, you would think by adding a rerolling global they would add that ruling to the relevant rulebook. If anyone can find out about rerolling a dice to reroll it (magneto's ruling would be easier than parallax)

Quote Originally Posted by Indy Mon View Post
    But they have removed this verbiage from the new rule books, up to and including ASM:

Page 22:

Rerolling Dice
    Many powers allow you to “reroll” a die. When you reroll a die, it
    stays in the same area it was in unless (a) otherwise specied by the
    card text for the resulting face, or (b) it’s in a location that the die face
    cannot be (for example, an energy result in the eld). If the die face
    cannot be in the specied location and its fate is not specied in the
    card text, move the die to the Reserve Pool.
    The text from D&D page 17:

TOURNAMENT RULES
    Once you’ve mastered the basics, this section provides details and additional rules. Since
    the base game’s original release, three rules have been revised as of July 2014. (1) If you
    run out of dice, you do not take damage; instead you lose life. (2) If you partially spend
    a die with two energy, you cannot reroll it. (3) Dice that enter your used pile after being
    used (e.g., action dice that you used) cannot subsequently go to your bag that same turn.
    I'd love to get an official ruling on this, but have not heard back from my query.

I used this play in RDW and none of us realized it wasn't okay. I used the extra bolts to Magic Missile my opponent's team away and swing for the win. We all thought it seemed too good to be true, but couldn't find anything in the WoL rulebook that prevented it. Then TRP set me straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormyknight View Post
    This would have been ruled like this with the original magneto global if that was the case and that has never been the case to my knowledge. You could spin down a villain die with a single mask (like magneto) and reroll it. Always a chance I'm wrong here but the current WoL rule book does not have the same wording anywhere in the book, you would think by adding a rerolling global they would add that ruling to the relevant rulebook. If anyone can find out about rerolling a dice to reroll it (magneto's ruling would be easier than parallax)
    http://www.wizkidseventsystem.com/bb...=Magneto#p4193 Magneto can definitely target dice in the reserve, still trying to find where I read you can't reroll a dice spun down for energy. The rules about partially spent dice appear twice in the UXM and BFF rulebooks respectively. However they both use the term "partially spent", now I'm going to have to find the ruling that made me think the other guys are correct. Like, it seems correct on a visceral level and I feel like I've seen it before, but I can't pinpoint it and that bugs me.

Other than this moment I can't think of another time when we had a global or ability that let you reroll something outside of the roll reroll step that this would apply to.

(3) Dice that enter your used pile after being
    used (e.g., action dice that you used) cannot subsequently go to your bag that same turn.

I didn't know this was a rule!
    So this means that if my bag is empty, and I use an action before using resurrection global, the action die stays in used?

Quote Originally Posted by SarkhanMad View Post
    (3) Dice that enter your used pile after being

I didn't know this was a rule!
    So this means that if my bag is empty, and I use an action before using resurrection global, the action die stays in used?
    The rule for action dice being used is now in the transition zone. WOL rules

Oh yeah! Totally new that!
    (One track mind I guess)

Quote Originally Posted by SarkhanMad View Post
    Oh yeah! Totally new that!
    (One track mind I guess)
    I learned that the hard way during a WOL draft

UXM and BFF rulebooks were both *very* explicit that once you'd spun down a die to partially pay for something, it was not able to be rerolled. It was called out specifically as a change to the original AvX rules.

That text has not been included in later rulebooks, though I have asked on WKRF if it is still in effect. I strongly believe it is, though I wish they would put it back in the rulebook.

I carry my UXM and BFF rulebooks to events just in case this comes up.

So after D&D they omit that ruling text, which makes me think they reconsidered. If you look at the language they use in the rulebook they are trying to be as accurate as possible to try to answer as many questions as they can just by explaining the basics of it. If they wanted to put it in there they would have, if they accidentally left it out on a set they would add it back in if they meant it. Which makes me believe that I am correct saying as long as you are spinning a dice from 2 non-generic energy to 1 non-generic energy, that dice is a legal target, no where does it say when spinning down a dice it goes out of play until the global is finished. So what would prevent you from doing this?

So after D&D they omit that ruling text, which makes me think they reconsidered. If you look at the language they use in the rulebook they are trying to be as accurate as possible to try to answer as many questions as they can just by explaining the basics of it. If they wanted to put it in there they would have, if they accidentally left it out on a set they would add it back in if they meant it. Which makes me believe that I am correct saying as long as you are spinning a dice from 2 non-generic energy to 1 non-generic energy, that dice is a legal target, no where does it say when spinning down a dice it goes out of play until the global is finished. So what would prevent you from doing this?
    Personally I disagree. I'm much more likely to put the ommission down to wizkids quality control/proof reading/no one realising that it was needed for this set..... its amazing how things like that can sneak through but the fact it's in two rule books makes me think it's highly likely to be that way in the newer sets too. But that's just my view.

No one in my group has thought of doing what you're suggesting, and if wizkids rule it is permitted then, well, think I'll have to put parallax in nearly every team! As when you draw a few characters/actiona with the right rolls you could get perpetual up to 3 energy to purchase by just spinning down each energy from two to one, buying dice and then activating the global.

They left it out of 4 rule books not one lol. This just means Jinzo/Wasp are even better. When we were using parallax global this way, we forgot that he was supposed to take 1 damage for wasp global for each activation of parallax and he ended up catching up with damage, it was like 7 damage.

They left it out of 4 rule books not one lol. This just means Jinzo/Wasp are even better. When we were using parallax global this way, we forgot that he was supposed to take 1 damage for wasp global for each activation of parallax and he ended up catching up with damage, it was like 7 damage.
    Someone used the Paralax global 7 times?

Quote Originally Posted by VastSpartan View Post
    Someone used the Paralax global 7 times?
    yeah, he got double energy between two dice and kept going until he got a character face on Jocasta.

Again i personally reckon this was more down to them leaving it out of one where they didn't see the need to, and then probably using that as the base for the rest going forwards. Not the best business practice I agree, but equally one I think is plausible. Especially given the relatively quick turnaround between sets.

And given wizkids recent "least powerful" over arching rule, my money would be on that you can't. Especially as whilst the original rule has been omitted, there's been (to my knowledge) been any statement it is permitted. And I don't see omitting it as stating that the rule has changed. I'd be looking for an explicit statement that it had changed in future rules rather than it simply not saying anything about it. However, I can equally see where you're coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by timbowyer View Post
    Again i personally reckon this was more down to them leaving it out of one where they didn't see the need to, and then probably using that as the base for the rest going forwards. Not the best business practice I agree, but equally one I think is plausible. Especially given the relatively quick turnaround between sets.

And given wizkids recent "least powerful" over arching rule, my money would be on that you can't. Especially as whilst the original rule has been omitted, there's been (to my knowledge) been any statement it is permitted. And I don't see omitting it as stating that the rule has changed. I'd be looking for an explicit statement that it had changed in future rules rather than it simply not saying anything about it. However, I can equally see where you're coming from.
    ^ This is exactly the type of thing that makes me happy to be on the forums here, having a discussion about something and people seeing it from both perspectives.

I also agree that they need to say what the ruling is, it sounds way too good to be true.