Thread: Quarriors

Quarriors

Having never played Quarriors or seen it at my local shop, I wanted to ask how similar is it to Dicemasters? Any knowledge is appreciated, but I am specifically wondering if it is closer to a "Living" game where you buy the sets and use them to build your team and your opponent(s) do the same or if it more of a "construable" game where you and your opponent take turns buying from the same pool of dice as part of the game (or some third thing).

My kids have now discovered dicemasters and I don't have enough spares to field them teams (Even just for friendly games) and I'm thinking Quarriors might be a good training ground for them anyway. I guess I should find out if they are still made, too, eh?

Quarriors is a straight "deck-building game" with dice. Everyone buys from the same pool of cards/dice. It's a 2-4 player game, you "attack" each player's dice each turn and score victory points based on which of your dice survive.

I have made a point of never playing Quarriors ever, because I'm certain that something will be eerily similar and I'll start mixing up mechanics in dicemasters. Maybe I'm paranoid, but it's something I refuse to play lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    I have made a point of never playing Quarriors ever, because I'm certain that something will be eerily similar and I'll start mixing up mechanics in dicemasters. Maybe I'm paranoid, but it's something I refuse to play lol.
    I have had similar thoughts. Is anyone out there familiar with both?

There's a Quarriors iPad app if you want to try it out. It's not free...but for $4 it'll give you a good feel for the game.

In quarriors, besides the common buy pool, the player interactions is handles a little differently since its 1v1v1v1. On each players turn they attack everyone adding all their characters attack, and the non active players absorb that attack with their characters defense one by one. You get points if your characters survive to your next turn. The dice stats and abilities are work pretty much the same, and I think only one set has globals. You can easily set up the same game play with dice masters cards and dice. The format is a little better for general gamers.
    I think the TMNT set may have a alternate rule set similar to quarriors. That would be a great idea if they make some of the dice masters sets the new quarriors.

I play and love both Quarriors and Dice Masters.

Quote Originally Posted by jasongardner View Post
    I think the TMNT set may have a alternate rule set similar to quarriors. That would be a great idea if they make some of the dice masters sets the new quarriors.
    I fully expect to see more sets like this in the future to bridge the gap to board game players

I second the motion of the app. The game is expensive, so try the app out first. I like it as a game, but after playing the app I'm not sure I would go out of my way to buy it.

If you try to play it, dont bother with the instructions. Typical confusing wizkids manual, Just watch a youtube video. Its probably easier since you know dice master, but when I was trying to learn quarriors, we spent about an hour flipping back and forth in the manual until we just pulled up a 3 minute youtube video and perfectly understood how to play.