Thread: Question for the wiki gurus

Question for the wiki gurus

Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    5. What @SarkhanMad was talking about was having the symbols be clickable to link to the wiki.
    @pk2317 , @pishposh , and @ all of the other Wiki gurus (sorry I didn't mention more by name):

I was thinking about this last night (having colon codes and such auto-link to the appropriate wiki page). I know it's been requested before, and I know it would be a really handy feature, but I couldn't think of an elegant way to make that happen automatically. But then I thought, "well, if someone is willing to make a wiki redirect for all of the cards where (for example) the wiki page named avx1 redirects to Beast:+Big+Boy+Blue then I probably could figure something out." So I went to the wiki today to put in place that exact redirect to start work on this project, and lookie-there! it was already in place. I thought that perhaps someone else was just testing something and started at avx1 like I did, but then I looked around and it appears that except for WoL, all of them are done! Awesome! You guys are amazing, and your work on the wiki is so appreciated!

That means I can get to work on the next step for this assuming you guys planning on continuing to keep those up to date. Does that sound OK? Can I depend on you to keep those redirects in place? Nothing horrible will happen if we fall behind, but I just didn't want to work on the feature if no one is interested in doing the redirects.

Also, when we finalize the syntax for the new dice character symbols, if there is an appropriate redirect at the page for whatever that syntax ends up being (probably "avxbeast" and the like), I will work on getting those to auto-link too. Please let me know!

@Crestfallen is the other main contributor.

I won't guarantee that all of them are done, unless someone else finished what I started (I did all of AvX and AoU). But I can make sure that they get done. I was already gonna do redirects if you wanted to/were able to make the auto-wiki-links.

It can be done! :-)

Awesome, and sorry @Crestfallen for not tagging you earlier. Duh! Hold off on the character symbol redirects for now, but feel free to to finish up on the card redirects (e.g., wol98). I'm pretty sure the character symbol's syntax is going to be setnamecharactername, as in avxbeast or wolranx, but can't guarantee it quite yet.

Thank you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Awesome, and sorry @Crestfallen for not tagging you earlier. Duh! Hold off on the character symbol redirects for now, but feel free to to finish up on the card redirects (e.g., wol98). I'm pretty sure the character symbol's syntax is going to be setnamecharactername, as in avxbeast or wolranx, but can't guarantee it quite yet.

Thank you!!!
    No worries. I've been AWOL lately with a 3-week old newborn.

Quote Originally Posted by Crestfallen View Post
    Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post

Thank you!!!
    For characters, there currently aren't separate pages set up in the wiki for sets. It's the one character's page then all cards from all sets for that character. Worst case we can get some redirects set up, doesn't really matter if they never get used :-P

The only reason I started the individual card redirects was to make it easier to template all the cards (for "previous" and "next"). Glad they'll have another use now though :-)

Yep, the work in the wiki is quite amazing. I also appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Crestfallen View Post
    Congrats! Don't worry about us. We'll still be here when you can return to your usual level. Get some sleep!

For characters, there currently aren't separate pages set up in the wiki for sets. It's the one character's page then all cards from all sets for that character. Worst case we can get some redirects set up, doesn't really matter if they never get used :-P
    Got it. Personally, I think it would be totally fine if (for example) avxbeast and aoubeast both went to the Beast page. I don't see any reason to create separate ones.

The only reason I started the individual card redirects was to make it easier to template all the cards (for "previous" and "next"). Glad they'll have another use now though :-)
    Huzzah!

It *might* be as quick as tomorrow to have card pages linked, at least in beta, depending on how much time I have and how lucky I am in finding an appropriate hook in vBulletin. Other the other end it might be a week before I get 'er done.