Thread: Does Beholder's ability count as "using an action die"?

Does Beholder's ability count as "using an action die"?

Beholder: Master Aberration says:
    If this is the first die assigned to attack this turn, you may immediately use each of the basic action dice abilities, without bursts, once, as if you had rolled those dice.
    Batman: Bruce Wayne of Earth says:
    If you used a Basic Action Die this turn, Batman cannot be blocked.
    So if I attack with both Beholder and Batman, and trigger Beholder's ability to use each of the basic action dice abilities, is Batman now unblockable?

Looks like the inclusion of the word 'Die' in Batman's ability means you need to actually use the die to trigger his abilty, not just the BAC's abilty,

But beholder says "as if you had rolled them". I could see it going either way.

Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    But beholder says "as if you had rolled them". I could see it going either way.
    JL Flash has a similar ability, but it says he's unblockable if you 'played a basic action' which seems like it would be triggered by Beholder, while Batman's specifiying the use of the die seems like it wouldn't.

Tom ran a dirty (but expensive) combo around this last weekend... he put out the Doctor Strange uncommon (deals 2 damage each time an Action is used) and triggered the Beholder. Bam, 8 damage before blockers assigned, plus whatever the Actions did. It didn't happen often, but when it did, he deserved it!

Quote Originally Posted by galathonredd View Post
    Tom ran a dirty (but expensive) combo around this last weekend... he put out the Doctor Strange uncommon (deals 2 damage each time an Action is used) and triggered the Beholder. Bam, 8 damage before blockers assigned, plus whatever the Actions did. It didn't happen often, but when it did, he deserved it!
    Now that sounds like fun, if Distraction wasn't a thing you could kill someone in one turn with that combo with dimensional door and stealth ops.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormyknight View Post
    Now that sounds like fun, if Distraction wasn't a thing you could kill someone in one turn with that combo with dimensional door and stealth ops.
    Throw in Paladin or Doomcal, then, and you've got yourself a done deck!

Quote Originally Posted by BenSaidScott View Post
    I believe it does trigger Batman's ability. Here is the relevant ruling:

http://wizkidseventsystem.com/bb/vie...hp?f=10&t=6973
    Still not clear though. The question uses 2 more examples where the character text says to use or play an action, and both would trigger, yet neither says use or play an action die.

I just wish there was a way to get answers for questions like this...

Edited to add: Look at the global on the BM cards as well, they all use the phrase "play a Basic Action" as opposed to "play a Basic Action Die" and at least 2 of his cards specifically call out the usage of a Basic Action Die in the ability text, with the word Die being uppercase (which is what leads me to think it won't trigger using Beholder's ability)
    Last edited by IgwanaRob; 10-09-2015 at 09:59 AM.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I always assumed that "using an action die" meant you had actually rolled a real action die, and so Batman's effect wouldn't apply. What made me wonder is when I read the text for Storm: Weather Witch, which says:
    Global: Pay [1 Mask]. Change the target of an action die that targets a character die to the character die of your choice.
    I have always played that as if it was able to redirect Beholder's actions, but it seems like the same rule should apply to both cards like Batman and Weather Witch - either what the Beholder does is using an action die, in which case Storm could redirect it and Batman would trigger, or the Beholder uses an action, but not an action die, in which case Batman wouldn't trigger but Storm wouldn't be able to redirect.

Quote Originally Posted by dwilhelmi View Post
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I always assumed that "using an action die" meant you had actually rolled a real action die, and so Batman's effect wouldn't apply. What made me wonder is when I read the text for Storm: Weather Witch, which says:

I have always played that as if it was able to redirect Beholder's actions, but it seems like the same rule should apply to both cards like Batman and Weather Witch - either what the Beholder does is using an action die, in which case Storm could redirect it and Batman would trigger, or the Beholder uses an action, but not an action die, in which case Batman wouldn't trigger but Storm wouldn't be able to redirect.
    Based on the aforementioned ruling, it seems that Beholder would not trigger Batman's ability. The OP asks if Beholder would trigger Lex Luthor: Former President, which also specifies a "basic action die" ("Whenever you use a basic action die, roll it. If it is an action face, add it to your Prep Area"). Wizkid's responses that the OP "may not roll those dice to try and purchase them for free." The implication is that the condition for Lex Luthor's ability (using a basic action die) had not occurred. I imagine the same would be true for Storm's global.

Quote Originally Posted by Crestfallen View Post
    Based on the aforementioned ruling, it seems that Beholder would not trigger Batman's ability. The OP asks if Beholder would trigger Lex Luthor: Former President, which also specifies a "basic action die" ("Whenever you use a basic action die, roll it. If it is an action face, add it to your Prep Area"). Wizkid's responses that the OP "may not roll those dice to try and purchase them for free." The implication is that the condition for Lex Luthor's ability (using a basic action die) had not occurred. I imagine the same would be true for Storm's global.
    Is the possible, though, that it is different because Lex Luthor requires the subsequent usage of a physical die, and that is why it doesn't apply?

Quote Originally Posted by dwilhelmi View Post
    Is the possible, though, that it is different because Lex Luthor requires the subsequent usage of a physical die, and that is why it doesn't apply?
    I'd say that Batman's ability requires the use of a physical die since it says, "If you used a Basic Action Die...".