Thread: Dr. T's Thanos Delivery System

Dr. T's Thanos Delivery System

Spoilers for a certain Marvel Studios movie in the next sentence, you have been warned.

Sometimes you just have to.

So I decided to build something somewhat out of the box for Locals tonight since I felt like playing something stranger than what I might normally do, and I ended up with this monstrosity, which proceeded to go 4-0. In a sort of poetic justice, I opened nothing out of my prize packs, and the person who finished in last place pulled a chase rare Black Lantern Aquaman, so that's a thing. On to the list, since I feel like sharing it with you guys.

Name:  $_35.JPG
Views: 428
Size:  23.9 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	MDM3_05SuperRare-137-Jocasta_Patterned-After-Janet.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	164.8 KB 
ID:	3368Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_1.JPG 
Views:	140 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	3369
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jlop09-theoutsider.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	3370

After the event, theroyalfalcon approached me and told me that turbo-ing into an 8 cost Thanos is not exactly a casual team. I'm prone to disagree because of how many great globals I brought for my opponents to beat my face in with before I could reach Thanos, but there may be some validity there as this list did stomp all but 1 other team it faced off against, where I managed to scrape by with 1 life left against a lantern ring team (which is much better than this list could ever be imo). The only reason I won that game was because my opponent forgot that I had red dragon, and could ahve used the global to do the extra point of damage before attacking for a lot more damage than should really be allowed from a 4 cost action, but I digress. Wizkids can deal with the jewelry, I just want my full arts.

Anyways, the point of this team is quite simple. Turbo into a Thanos as quickly as possible and use the outsider to put in on the board at level 2, pump it with the outsiders global for an extra 2 attack and you're swinging for 9 unblockable damage, then put it right back into your bag with the summoned skull global. If your opponents bring a polymorph, feel free to turn that damage up to 11 with it's global. Red Dragon global buys the outsider, resurrection digs further, bewd reduces costs, pxg ramps and Black Lantern Batman fixes awkward rolls by providing a generic energy that works wonders for fielding costs, so you can continue to purchase big things.

Now, even though my opponent can use it too, I am a big fan of the Bl Batman/Superman globals now. They make so many gimmick teams like this feasible, and they have solid stats of their own, not to mention a villain affiliation so if you're ever inclined to buy into them, they work perfectly with The Outsider BAC.

So, what did I play against and how did this do well/anything at all? Simple. Normally there is a lot more opposition at my locals that could tear my big guys to shreds, but any of it that was even brought was barely bought into, if at all. This teams success really was a perfect storm, because I lucked out against the only burn list with an optimal last turn roll, nobody brought the common/uncommon mera and the one other list that could have taken this down didn't maintain their field or energy to pay for the transfer power global they brought. I don't expect this list to function properly again, but I still feel like sharing it.

Round 1: Avengers. They didn't bring the AVX hulk, and were using the AOU overcrushing hulk instead. Lack of removal cost them the game when Thanos hit twice.

Round 2: Lantern Ring fists feat. tsarina and friends, lucksacked on the final turn, see above, Thanos hit for game. As an afterthought, he did hit me while unblocked a few times, he probably could have used the summoned skull global to win the game as well.

This is where things got funky and my love for BL Batman began.

Round 3: Batmobile with batman and robin, it was a test list that TheRoyalFalcon played, and we made mods after. He could have beaten me had he maintained shields for transfer power. BL Batman along with a few Lyssas swung into an empty field and got pumped up by the outsider for game.

Round 4: Kobold swarm feat. limited wish: The few times he managed to roll limited wish's action face, he never managed to roll a character face of a big guy. Turboed into BL Batman before he had bought all of his kobolds/actions and kept my purchases to a minimum, buying only 2 dice while he was on board. He walled up and I went for Red Dragon SR, used the breath weapon to clear his defenses and hit for lethal. Wasn't expecting that at all, but the super rare does have validity over the others for that breath weapon 3.

All in all, I had a ton of fun playing with big beatsticks tonight. Next week is a draft, so I will probably try and post a draft report on my blog if I remember. I'm kind of curious if anyone has any thoughts or questions about this list, or maybe some suggestions. I also want to know if people think this is a power list so I can settle a debate. Why does Tsarina/Lantern ring get a free pass but this is considered too mean? Am I crazy and just not seeing it? My locals normally has Jade Giants everywhere, so I didn't think this would actually work, but it did. I also want to know if people think this should be a blog post or not. It's kind of in depth, but I don't think it goes far enough, and I'm not really describing the whole event or other teams that much, so I don't feel like it's a tourney report. Let me know what you think, and thanks for reading another wall of text.

If TL;DR, Thanos is a big meanie.

I wouldn't say this is too mean at all. Plenty of easy counters for it (Mera, Distraction, transfer power). It's more of a "gimmick" team.

I'm confused here, why is red dragon in this list? If you switched the outsider for polymorph it would make perfect sense but the outsider is not that good to warrant an entire slot just to make it cheaper, you could easily just use gearing up if you wanted to draw and roll dice. Also the black lantern batman is meh because you have to have bolt shield mask fist in your roll to get the generic, it can't be ?'s to my knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormyknight View Post
    I'm confused here, why is red dragon in this list? If you switched the outsider for polymorph it would make perfect sense but the outsider is not that good to warrant an entire slot just to make it cheaper, you could easily just use gearing up if you wanted to draw and roll dice. Also the black lantern batman is meh because you have to have bolt shield mask fist in your roll to get the generic, it can't be ?'s to my knowledge.
    Better to have Nasty Plot over Gearing Up. With Nasty Plot you have the chance to roll the extra dice twice over just the initial roll.
    As for Red Dragon........you're right, why is it there?

As for specific energy, you do need the correct energy for the effect.

Firstly, I'm glad that I'm not crazy and other people see this as a gimmick that's easy to shut down. To be clear, I don't view this team as good at all, it's just a lot of fun to play. I'll try and make sense of some of my choices now.

As for BL Batman, I do not regret bringing him. As I stated, he fixed a lot of weird rerolls provided by Prof X. When you're rolling a ton of dice every turn, it's not hard to trigger the global, which is handy for getting the bigger purchases. I am aware that you cannot use ? dice for the effect, I never claimed that I could. He is also a villain, so he combo-ed amazingly well with the outsider, not to mention his great statline. His on field ability is responsible for winning an entire game (round 4).

Red dragon exists for 2 reasons. I wanted something that could clear a large board and the SR is the only one with breath weapon 3. I could have gone for a hulk or even a cheaper dragon with breath weapon 3, yes, but I liked the cost reduction and used it quite a lot. That little bit of ping burn was essential to ending the game with Thanos attacks, and this team is all about cost reduction. I want to keep rolling a ton of dice every turn so I can buy big characters, so spending less energy is important, even if I'm only using the global a couple of times. I would be skeptical too, but it did work out very well.

Finally, the outsider is great in this list, because the chances are very slim that my opponent can use it and it turns purchasing a jocasta or a lyssa into fielding a level 2 lyssa or jocasta. It also put Batman and Thanos on board quite consistently, and the +2 attack for one energy pump global is no joke.

wow! lot of super rares there... there are counters. DCK global maybe to shut down distraction.

Quote Originally Posted by joshaber View Post
    wow! lot of super rares there... there are counters. DCK global maybe to shut down distraction.
    Shuts down a lot of stuff. Millennium Puzzle, Transfer Power

Quote Originally Posted by VastSpartan View Post
    Shuts down a lot of stuff. Millennium Puzzle, Transfer Power
    yes, it does. But it does shut down stuff of your own. I dont see any removal on this team. puzzle maybe, or Grundy.
    Thanos is really bulky so you really don't have to pump him to deal tons of damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    Spoilers for a certain Marvel Studios movie in the next sentence, you have been warned.

Sometimes you just have to.

So I decided to build something somewhat out of the box for Locals tonight since I felt like playing something stranger than what I might normally do, and I ended up with this monstrosity, which proceeded to go 4-0. In a sort of poetic justice, I opened nothing out of my prize packs, and the person who finished in last place pulled a chase rare Black Lantern Aquaman, so that's a thing. On to the list, since I feel like sharing it with you guys.

Name:  $_35.JPG
Views: 428
Size:  23.9 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	MDM3_05SuperRare-137-Jocasta_Patterned-After-Janet.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	164.8 KB 
ID:	3368Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_1.JPG 
Views:	140 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	3369
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jlop09-theoutsider.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	3370

After the event, theroyalfalcon approached me and told me that turbo-ing into an 8 cost Thanos is not exactly a casual team. I'm prone to disagree because of how many great globals I brought for my opponents to beat my face in with before I could reach Thanos, but there may be some validity there as this list did stomp all but 1 other team it faced off against, where I managed to scrape by with 1 life left against a lantern ring team (which is much better than this list could ever be imo). The only reason I won that game was because my opponent forgot that I had red dragon, and could ahve used the global to do the extra point of damage before attacking for a lot more damage than should really be allowed from a 4 cost action, but I digress. Wizkids can deal with the jewelry, I just want my full arts.

Anyways, the point of this team is quite simple. Turbo into a Thanos as quickly as possible and use the outsider to put in on the board at level 2, pump it with the outsiders global for an extra 2 attack and you're swinging for 9 unblockable damage, then put it right back into your bag with the summoned skull global. If your opponents bring a polymorph, feel free to turn that damage up to 11 with it's global. Red Dragon global buys the outsider, resurrection digs further, bewd reduces costs, pxg ramps and Black Lantern Batman fixes awkward rolls by providing a generic energy that works wonders for fielding costs, so you can continue to purchase big things.

Now, even though my opponent can use it too, I am a big fan of the Bl Batman/Superman globals now. They make so many gimmick teams like this feasible, and they have solid stats of their own, not to mention a villain affiliation so if you're ever inclined to buy into them, they work perfectly with The Outsider BAC.

So, what did I play against and how did this do well/anything at all? Simple. Normally there is a lot more opposition at my locals that could tear my big guys to shreds, but any of it that was even brought was barely bought into, if at all. This teams success really was a perfect storm, because I lucked out against the only burn list with an optimal last turn roll, nobody brought the common/uncommon mera and the one other list that could have taken this down didn't maintain their field or energy to pay for the transfer power global they brought. I don't expect this list to function properly again, but I still feel like sharing it.

Round 1: Avengers. They didn't bring the AVX hulk, and were using the AOU overcrushing hulk instead. Lack of removal cost them the game when Thanos hit twice.

Round 2: Lantern Ring fists feat. tsarina and friends, lucksacked on the final turn, see above, Thanos hit for game. As an afterthought, he did hit me while unblocked a few times, he probably could have used the summoned skull global to win the game as well.

This is where things got funky and my love for BL Batman began.

Round 3: Batmobile with batman and robin, it was a test list that TheRoyalFalcon played, and we made mods after. He could have beaten me had he maintained shields for transfer power. BL Batman along with a few Lyssas swung into an empty field and got pumped up by the outsider for game.

Round 4: Kobold swarm feat. limited wish: The few times he managed to roll limited wish's action face, he never managed to roll a character face of a big guy. Turboed into BL Batman before he had bought all of his kobolds/actions and kept my purchases to a minimum, buying only 2 dice while he was on board. He walled up and I went for Red Dragon SR, used the breath weapon to clear his defenses and hit for lethal. Wasn't expecting that at all, but the super rare does have validity over the others for that breath weapon 3.

All in all, I had a ton of fun playing with big beatsticks tonight. Next week is a draft, so I will probably try and post a draft report on my blog if I remember. I'm kind of curious if anyone has any thoughts or questions about this list, or maybe some suggestions. I also want to know if people think this is a power list so I can settle a debate. Why does Tsarina/Lantern ring get a free pass but this is considered too mean? Am I crazy and just not seeing it? My locals normally has Jade Giants everywhere, so I didn't think this would actually work, but it did. I also want to know if people think this should be a blog post or not. It's kind of in depth, but I don't think it goes far enough, and I'm not really describing the whole event or other teams that much, so I don't feel like it's a tourney report. Let me know what you think, and thanks for reading another wall of text.

If TL;DR, Thanos is a big meanie.
    Out of curiosity, did you use chase batman?

Quote Originally Posted by SlapsterMcFlash View Post
    That would definitely make it OP
    it makes batman better (not)

Quote Originally Posted by joshaber View Post
    it makes batman better (not)
    It really doesn't

It really doesn't
    Cool joke mang, chase is da bes.

And yes I did use chase batman

If I weren't at work, posting up pictures would be easier.

cool. ok.

It really doesn't
    i said it didn't...