Thread: Ticket to Ride

Huge fan. I've introduced tons of people to "modern" board gaming with it.

For US, the mini expansion USA 1910 is an absolute must. It should have been included in the game to start.

I actually like the gameplay slightly better in TTR Europe, because of the starting long routes and the stations, but not as many USians are familiar with the map.

Absolutely love this game! My father-in-law got the anniversary edition for Christmas last year, which I think includes the 1910 expansion, and it's just beautiful!

Excellent gateway game. 1910 expansion - seconded here because it replaces the hobbit cards with regular sized cards.

Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    Huge fan. I've introduced tons of people to "modern" board gaming with it.

For US, the mini expansion USA 1910 is an absolute must. It should have been included in the game to start.

I actually like the gameplay slightly better in TTR Europe, because of the starting long routes and the stations, but not as many USians are familiar with the map.
    What about the 1910 expansion makes it a must buy? Is it just the card sizes, or is there something else about it?

Card sizes is the biggest one, but it also adds a lot more Route options, including some sub-categories for different "themed" games (Big Cities, etc.) I always just play with all the tickets (the "Mega Game"), which I believe is what official TTR tournaments use.

I think my wife is getting me the PA/England expansion for my birthday. That's pretty cool looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    I think my wife is getting me the PA/England expansion for my birthday. That's pretty cool looking.
    hmmm...I wasn't really aware you could add maps together...need to order more stuff now!

Quote Originally Posted by koolkat67 View Post
    hmmm...I wasn't really aware you could add maps together...need to order more stuff now!
    There are (now 5) map expansion packs that switch out the board and route tickets for different ones, using your existing train pieces and colored train cards.

There are (now 5) map expansion packs that switch out the board and route tickets for different ones, using your existing train pieces and colored train cards.
    Can you add more than one expansion at a time to the original? Just reading the rules now...not getting the part about using less train with more routes due to the expansion. now 35 instead of 45 trains

1910 you use the base game (US) map and train pieces, you replace the tiny train cards and tiny route tickets with full-sized ones (either a subset of the routes like Big Cities, or just use them all).

The expansion maps completely relace the US map board with a new one, and therefore new route tickets. They may have you use fewer trains.

1910 you use the base game (US) map and train pieces, you replace the tiny train cards and tiny route tickets with full-sized ones (either a subset of the routes like Big Cities, or just use them all).

The expansion maps completely relace the US map board with a new one, and therefore new route tickets. They may have you use fewer trains.
    ooooooooooooohhhh...i thought they somehow added the maps together and you ferry between them or something. ok. got it

If you like Ticket to Ride in a few months you should try 20th Century Limited by Rio Grande Games.

It's an excellent train game but a bit more complex (possibly too much for kids).

The mechanics are similar but different enough that it forces competition in the same areas of the map. There's also a loan mechanic that allows you to borrow other peoples tracks.

That being said I love ticket to ride, we have 2 versions the US and Japan one and they are both a blast. The Monster smashing expansion is a lot of fun around Halloween maybe get that for next year

You should be careful about buying any of the specifically 2-3 player maps, i.e. Africa or India. Because of the limited space those maps get really nasty really fast. You won't be able to build any of your routes.