Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fun formats that you've run and/or played in? Not just a fun tournament, but format

Fun formats that you've run and/or played in? Not just a fun tournament, but format

Today, for instance, was like, "Team Up Special" or whatever corny name I gave it

Basically, you had to have 4 cards with one affiliation, and 4 with another. Cards could share affiliations, like, an Avenger/GotG, but you had to be able to take your team and say, "Here are 4 SHIELD people, here are 4 Avengers," even if a couple cards had both. Next time I might add a slot for a sidekick, like Robin for the Justice League, or something. The winning team was actually a really cool Yellow/Red Lantern team, using Bruce Wayne of Earth yellow lantern Batman that lets you copy action dice with Gearing Up, for just a ridiculous amount of power. It was also nice seeing the not super overpowered teams. Nobody (except me, lol, but I don't play for prizes, and I play very chill and buy things in funny orders and stuff if I'm playing in the tourney, which is only if it's an odd number of people... I won't give the game away, but I'll set my level to the level of my opponent) brought a Tsarina, and I also was the only one to bring a PXG. It was an Avengers/X-Men team. No Green Goliath though

That was actually what made me happiest - the lack of Green Goliath, or even Jade Giant. People had some really cool, original teams, that weren't relying on any of the old standbys. I want to get a copy of the first place team list, it was so cool.

I let a kid play with my team (it was FWX, the teamwatch gain 1 life Hawkeye, PXG, Tsarina, Storm-Wind Rider, Spider Man - 3 fists to lose half you life before damage in the attack step, Beast-Genetic Expert, rare Wasp, with Stealth Ops and Vicious Struggle), explaining the bare bones of trying to get our FWX with Stealth Ops. I added Vicious Struggle just for fun really. Anyway, it was nice to see that he hadn't bought one Tsarina in the first game, lol. He went 1-2, but it was cool that he got to win a game still., especially with a team he didn't build and being new. You can hand me the best team ever but I need a few games to figure it out, period.

Anyway, I liked this, and everyone else had fun too.

Another format I've done is a triple decker draft, where everyone buys 18 packs (plus 3 prize), and then opens them all up into 3 stacks of 12 cards with their dice. Before drafting, each person gets to keep a full stack of 12 cards and dice (obviously randomly opened and stacked, not planned lol), to give people a "base" so that they have more dice, and it helped new people who just went for one of each card because they were like, "pheww, I still DO have some extra dice." It was just a fun way to do it. Not what I'd normally do, but it had a really big prize pool, and nobody minded the extra $.99x6 for a first place prize pack of almost every Marvel OP card made up until that point (just before AoU).

Any other interesting formats run?

I've also done a hybrid format obviously, with varying types of hybridness, such as having to even choose one of your BACs with the 2 cards you bring, etc...

I don't do this more than once a month or less, but it's nice to try out other formats (something I do miss about HeroClix is the infinity possibilities of formats, such as all pieces under 100 points with the soldier keyword), and I've only had positive receptions to them so far, which is really nice.

I'm hoping to find some more sweet ideas here!

@Dylan Watkins is in the area and has come sometimes, and suggested an event where every card has to have a global ability. I'm totally down, but it was hilarious, because I mentioned it to a couple people who aren't even new, and their brains just started melting even thinking about a minimum of 16 globals floating around, plus BACs maybe. I'll put the idea out there again.

Our next tourney is going to be a team swap. Everyone brings a team with a brief description of how to play it. We then draw lots for who plays which team.

I'll be watching this thread with interest. My daughter and I are still just "kitchen table" type players. To force ourselves to use different cards, we've been doing things like the affiliated teams, 8 heroes vs 8 villains, 4 hand picked + 4 randomly dealt characters, all starter set cards, etc. For us rookies, it helps us learn how all the various cards work together. For those wanting to get into tournaments, it assures them that they won't be running up against a team that cost more to put together than I paid for my first car. (Like some other card games......) And for the experienced, I should think it would help to keep the game from getting stale.

I've always wanted to try something that forces players to build around (or at least use), some of the garbage.
    Maybe play a rainbow draft where the last card you get is given to you face up on your stack, and you have to slot that character (and purchase it) in order to win.

A week before, shuffle up a common Vixen, Moon Dragon, Bucky, Hawkeye"What Kind of Arrow", Spectre, Rogue, Thing, Sentinal, (you get the idea). Each player has to build a team around the junk, and doesn't win unless they purchase (or field or attack with) it.

Bring a "sideboard" of tougher to play characters, one of each cost. Before you play, each player switches an opposing card with one of the same cost in their sideboard.

Something where you need at least 4 actions on your team. (I am really hopeful "world finest" adds extra actions...Two face needs a coin, Penguin needs an umbrella, Batman needs a bat-copter or bat-pod, utility belt, Wonder woman needs a Lasso of truth, etc.)

maybe an "unlocking" mechanism, where you tell your opponent they can't buy "x" until they buy "y".

I'm sorry if this is too random, and if you wanted tested formats. I just like the idea of playing around cards nobody touches.

Fun one I want to try is No Globals. No globals on any cards in your deck including basic actions.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormyknight View Post
    Fun one I want to try is No Globals. No globals on any cards in your deck including basic actions.
    I actually find myself doing that anyway, just by accident, when building less competitive/teams for newer people to play against and/or with.

It's not as hard as you'd think, especially with some sets in particular (no global Justice League team is easier than it is to make WITH a global).

I've wanted to try a sealed format in DM. 12 packs and you run with what you open. There are some other fun formats that my Magic team would play in the middle of a playtesting crunch to have fun with it. I'm trying to see if they can port to Dice Masters.

Quote Originally Posted by cbone3 View Post
    I've wanted to try a sealed format in DM. 12 packs and you run with what you open. There are some other fun formats that my Magic team would play in the middle of a playtesting crunch to have fun with it. I'm trying to see if they can port to Dice Masters.
    Commander (EDH)... I've been requesting this for many months, so apologies to those sick of hearing about it!
    How about this:
    Commander - Any character with a "while active" effect. or maybe "when fielded" or maybe no restriction.
    Once during your main step, your Commander may be fielded on any level from its card, by paying it's fielding cost. Fielding cost to be paid using the energy type of commander, or wilds.
    Anytime a commander leaves the field, return it to its card instead, and place a counter on it. (Counters increase fielding cost by 1 for each counter).
    Commander may not attack.
    You may only use globals when your Commander is in the field.
    All non-basic cards have max 1 die.
    Commander character card is in addition to 8 card limit. (So 9 cards counting Commander)
    Last edited by SarkhanMad; 10-12-2015 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cbone3 View Post
    Several of the initial OP Kits were Hybrid, you would by 10 sealed packs, and bring 4 cards with dice and BACs. It was very popular here for a while. Right now Draft and Little Cup has a pretty firm hold with players. Especially since Little Cup removes the "pay to Win" complaints. The complaints mind you not the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Wargfn View Post
    Several of the initial OP Kits were Hybrid, you would by 10 sealed packs, and bring 4 cards with dice and BACs. It was very popular here for a while. Right now Draft and Little Cup has a pretty firm hold with players. Especially since Little Cup removes the "pay to Win" complaints. The complaints mind you not the truth.
    I like hybrid-sealed. I think we stopped doing it because we did it SO MUCH, but I like to keep it as a part of my rotation.

I've found that people prefer drafting, in general, even in a hybrid format - people just prefer to draft than open and build, and I can see why. It's more possible, if you're good, to make a better team by drafting the right cards, etc...

Anyway, I also really dislike when stores always follow the exact format that Wizkids wants to be run for every single OP kit, it's kind of ridiculous.

When stores run ONLY the formats suggested by Wizkids, it gets really stale, really fast. They're all so homogenized, with no creativity at all. I stopped going to a store because that was all that they ever ran, and it kind of inspired me to take up judging, so that I could create a fun environment for people, that mixed creativity with friendliness and a generally relaxed, transparent atmosphere, that gets people really interested in team building and the game in general.

I couldn't have done that just following the Wizkids suggested formats, not at all.

That's not directed at anyone in particular, just in general - it was a big reason of why I started judging - the rigid structuring based on what Wizkids wrote, and only wrote, for every event that at least one local store used.

We are going to try this soon.

Everyone brings 4 mono energy type teams.

At the beginning of each match roll a side kick dice until you get an energy type (? and sidekicks mean you must re-roll).

You play the team associated energy type.

It gives people reasons to bring some characters that otherwise struggle to hit the table (Daredevil might be an ok pick in case your opponent rolls masks etc).

I'm excited it looks like a lot of fun.

I really enjoy drafting. I think DM drafts better than M:tG, honestly.

I think fun formats are nice, especially because our newly-emerging local community includes some very kitchen table-oriented players. It's actually fun to play for fun. I was taking RDW far more seriously than most people and it reminded me of the grind of playing competitive Magic. It's nice to step back.

I didn't have time to read through all the posts (already spent too much time as it is), but I did copy the suggestions from the Dice Masters facebook group to a Google Spreadsheet. Feel free to add/modify as needed. And maybe we could even get this list stuck up somewhere more permanent and easily findable?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

i played in one called "wonderful toys" and you have to have a minimum of 4 actions on your team (not counting BAC) and 4 of whatever you choose.

When we first get a new set, my buddy and i play the first match with just starters. After every match, we each pull and open 2 packs and put them between us to draft, in this alternating order: 1 card, 2 cards, 2 cards, 2 cards, 1 card. Winner of the match chooses whether to pick first (pick up great card, but have to pick last) or yield (dont get first pack, but will probably pick up two decent cards). Any cards/dice we get get added to our usable pool for the next game. Gets us familiar with and using most of the cards in the set without tearing through a gravity in 10 minutes and immediately ruling out half the cards as junk.

We also play LOTS of 4-6 character comic-themed teams. Legion of Doom, Batman & Robin, Fantastic Four, NEW Fantastic Four, Original X-Men, Weapon X, Justice League Dark, etc.

In our rainbow drafts, when you win a match you get 2 packs, but when you lose you get 1 pack you can use in future matches.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Cass View Post
    When we first get a new set, my buddy and i play the first match with just starters. After every match, we each pull and open 2 packs and put them between us to draft, in this alternating order: 1 card, 2 cards, 2 cards, 2 cards, 1 card. Winner of the match chooses whether to pick first (pick up great card, but have to pick last) or yield (dont get first pack, but will probably pick up two decent cards). Any cards/dice we get get added to our usable pool for the next game. Gets us familiar with and using most of the cards in the set without tearing through a gravity in 10 minutes and immediately ruling out half the cards as junk.

We also play LOTS of 4-6 character comic-themed teams. Legion of Doom, Batman & Robin, Fantastic Four, NEW Fantastic Four, Original X-Men, Weapon X, Justice League Dark, etc.

In our rainbow drafts, when you win a match you get 2 packs, but when you lose you get 1 pack you can use in future matches.
    ok I like this. I just ordered my first gravity and I've been thinking if the excitement will be gone 10 minutes and how can I make it last? I'm using your ideas. thanks

so we just did an only starter/common/uncommon, which was cool

I like the build 4 mono energy teams, roll a sidekick dice, and use that team, except that whoever rolls a bolt the most is just going to be winning if people are building teams half well

I might do a full association, with one spot allowed for a sidekick who has been a real member of the team before, not just a one off in one issue - such as Robin on a Justice League team, or Nick Fury or Phil Coulson with the Avengers, etc...

Definitely thinking about building something which you have to switch with your opponent - just nothing that tries to force any illegal combos allowed - like if I used the Phoenix global on you while I had Iceman in play, forcing you to pay a cost... no teams built with things like that basically - the people at the store are pretty chill about it all so I don't think anyone would try to do that

I want to veer away from thinking about affiliations with this, though, and would love to have people make a team from a comic, like, all 8 had to be on the same team in one issue of a comic, but I don't know how much everyone knows about comics who plays

but I definitely want to avoid having our constructed events just be regular unlimited without fun themes to keep things interesting and fun.

My LGS is running a starter only constructed on Tuesday and I'm excited to see what people come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormyknight View Post
    My LGS is running a starter only constructed on Tuesday and I'm excited to see what people come up with.
    Be sure to check out the team I pposted recently that was also a starter only team.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    Be sure to check out the team I pposted recently that was also a starter only team.
    I'll have to try out the Magneto Poly Combo sometime, looks pretty good. I'll post my deck list and how the event went so everyone can see how for format ran.

Quote Originally Posted by SlapsterMcFlash View Post

Definitely thinking about building something which you have to switch with your opponent - just nothing that tries to force any illegal combos allowed - like if I used the Phoenix global on you while I had Iceman in play, forcing you to pay a cost... no teams built with things like that basically - the people at the store are pretty chill about it all so I don't think anyone would try to do that
    Did you mean Captain Cold instead of Iceman? I thought I just saw a post recently, someone saying you couldnt force another player to pay. I'd have to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by SlapsterMcFlash View Post
    I like the build 4 mono energy teams, roll a sidekick dice, and use that team, except that whoever rolls a bolt the most is just going to be winning if people are building teams half well
    Heh, I just suggested this exact idea to one of the stores I play in!