Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Passing Priority and Globals

Passing Priority and Globals

Could someone please help me to understand it (or it least show me that i am not crazy and played the game not the wrong way).

So please someone tell me if i am somewhere wrong.:

Main step.

1.I can do actions(like Fielding, Globals, purchasing....)

2.I can at any time passing the priority to my Opponent. He/she can then play a global/ability if possible.

3.After that i can do 1. again and then 2. also.

4.I have to give my opponent, before i end my Main Step, the priority to do something if i have done an action.

5.If he says no and i say no, i could continue to the Attack step.

Attack Step.
    Attackers
    Blockers
    Action Dice/Globals
    I can use globals and action dice and or can do Step 2. and the cycle repeats.

Am i am wrong?

Because i had a game(only 3 turns on my side) where someone explained me, i cannot give priority and then field characters and other stuff, because it is at the end of the main step.

People sometimes think the Main Step has an "order". It doesn't. The attack step does, but not the Main.

In the Tournament Rules section in the back, it says that the active player can do from 0 to all possible actions, then pass priority, then again do from 0 to all possible actions.

Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    People sometimes think the Main Step has an "order". It doesn't. The attack step does, but not the Main.

In the Tournament Rules section in the back, it says that the active player can do from 0 to all possible actions, then pass priority, then again do from 0 to all possible actions.
    The problem is, on the back of every rule book you have the Steps for your Turn. And i made once the mistake to tell someone "the attack step has this order) and he was thinking automatically that the Mainstep does too. After that he didnt like the rulebook even more.

You have it 100% correct. Who ever explained it to you that way either was explained to incorrectly, or was misunderstanding.

Next time, walk it through step be step and show them the right way. If the continue to disagree, offer to show them the rules, or the rules forum posts that walk through this. If they can't offer to show you the same, then perhaps they will need to check their sources.

Note: the way they described, is the way Magic works, but even magic allows one to respond to priority passing with another action.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    Note: the way they described, is the way Magic works, but even magic allows one to respond to priority passing with another action.
    I am not so Magic conform but, i think it must be like that otherwise you never have to chance to reveal cards. In DM i feel everytime it is more like Chess, because you know what is on the table/board.

Yes you can. But if you would instead say also "I wont do anything else" your main step would end.

Yes. To be 100% sure, read the Tournament Rules in your rulebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleiem View Post
    Cool. And in case I pass the priority, my opponent do or do not do something, and I keep playing, I must pass the priority once again before I end my main?
    Technically you do what you want, pass priority and then its back to you. You can finish up the main step then either attack or end the turn. If there was something they didnt do on their priority, tough luck son. Energy is wasted.

The step is over when: they do nothing, pass to you, and you do nothing.

Anything until that happens is fair game.

" During the Main Step, the active player can use a Global Ability as one of the actions available. The other player can also initiate a Global Ability (that is, use one that is not a reaction to something else happening) after each action that the active player uses during the Main Step (purchase, field, etc.). "

Taken from the War Of Light rulebook under globals on page 24, which has been causing a lot of confusion lately because it seems to contradict the active player being able to use as many actions as they like before passing priority. This stuff makes me a sad Osprey.

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    " During the Main Step, the active player can use a Global Ability as one of the actions available. The other player can also initiate a Global Ability (that is, use one that is not a reaction to something else happening) after each action that the active player uses during the Main Step (purchase, field, etc.). "

Taken from the War Of Light rulebook under globals on page 24, which has been causing a lot of confusion lately because it seems to contradict the active player being able to use as many actions as they like before passing priority. This stuff makes me a sad Osprey.
    That is that 'casual play' rules - it has always been in the rule book and really wish they would just remove it because almost nobody actually plays that way.

Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    The step is over when: they do nothing, pass to you, and you do nothing.
    This ^^^ is really important to understand.

And one subtlety people often miss about it is that if you, as the active player, pass priority and the inactive player does do something and passes priority back, you cannot then just do nothing and end the phase - you must give your opponent priority again in case they wish to do something more.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    That is that 'casual play' rules - it has always been in the rule book and really wish they would just remove it because almost nobody actually plays that way.
    These are the kinds of things that create problems when I'm trying to enforce consistent rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    These are the kinds of things that create problems when I'm trying to enforce consistent rules.
    Yeah, that's why I wish they would just remove it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    You have it 100% correct. Who ever explained it to you that way either was explained to incorrectly, or was misunderstanding.

Next time, walk it through step be step and show them the right way. If the continue to disagree, offer to show them the rules, or the rules forum posts that walk through this. If they can't offer to show you the same, then perhaps they will need to check their sources.

So: Main phase, I pass, you pass, I say move to attacks.
    Attacks, blockers, i pass, you pass, resolve damage.

Here's my questions:

1) Does the attack step happen even if no attackers are declared?

2) Does the opponent get priority for this step without attackers?

3) Does your opponent recieve priority for the cleanup phase?

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
    So: Main phase, I pass, you pass, I say move to attacks.
    Attacks, blockers, i pass, you pass, resolve damage.

Here's my questions:

1) Does the attack step happen even if no attackers are declared?

2) Does the opponent get priority for this step without attackers?

3) Does your opponent recieve priority for the cleanup phase?
    What?
    1. No. How would there be an attack phase if there arent any attackers.
    2. Again, how is there an attack step with no attackers.
    3. The attack phase the active player finishes the first step of his or her affects of characters. Then priority is given to the blocker to activate any globals. Clean up is just damage finishing. If there's energy left they can activate other globals. Usually someone might pxg.

Quote Originally Posted by VastSpartan View Post
    What?
    1. No. How would there be an attack phase if there arent any attackers.
    2. Again, how is there an attack step with no attackers.
    3. The attack phase the active player finishes the first step of his or her affects of characters. Then priority is given to the blocker to activate any globals. Clean up is just damage finishing. If there's energy left they can activate other globals. Usually someone might pxg.
    @Shadowmeld had mentioned it being like Magic. In Magic players have the opportunity to respond to changing phases so priority passes at the beginning and end of every step of every phase - which means the combat phase happens even if attackers aren't declared.

I guess what I'm really getting at is; Do I need to allow my opponenet the opportunity to respond to my actions and all phase/step changes? When can I react to my opponenet?

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
    @Shadowmeld had mentioned it being like Magic. In Magic players have the opportunity to respond to changing phases so priority passes at the beginning and end of every step of every phase - which means the combat phase happens even if attackers aren't declared.

I guess what I'm really getting at is; Do I need to allow my opponenet the opportunity to respond to my actions and all phase/step changes? When can I react to my opponenet?
    You must give them priority to defend themselves. You can either do it after you finish most of the affects before they have a chance to counter act anything you do. There's also giving them priority in the case you don't know what they are going to do.

You have priority over everything first before they can act.

Being Like magic, doesnt mean it is Magic. In Magic maybe you have a card you can reveal at an approbiate so you must wait for that phase.

Here in Dice Masters you see everything what you and your opponent can do. No one is taking a die out of her sleeves and say "taadaaa".

So you can only respond if your opponent has done something to trigger it.

Vast is correct.

Queen would answer the same way as me.

1.No
    2.No
    3.No

Next question:

Yes if you have done something you must give him at least the priority at the end of your actions. If he will do something, and it goes back to you, you can pass again and he can do something again.

The Matter here is, you the active player decides when he can make his actions with this.
    Well if you dont have the heat going on i would say yes, do your stuff and see if they want to do something.
    I always annoys me when people do 3 things together and i wanted to respond with an ability to it etc... . But thats mostly rare to see because of the Passing priority style.

You can only react if you have a die out there or a global that lets you react.

For example if you block with Beast (AVX), you can do something before the Global/action die phase in the Attack Step, like drawing dice, leveling down the attacker and maybe KO him.

Alright there are multiple ideas here which is just going to confuse people so I'll give you it in simple terms.

Player 1 and Player 2 are playing a game.

It is Player 1's turn, and he has energy he wants to use in their reserve pool during the main step. Player 2 also has energy in their reserve pool. Player 1 buys a dice, uses a global, but then player 2 says they want to use a global! Player 1 is not done with what they want to do so Player 2 has to wait. Player 1 uses another global then fields 2 characters. He designates that he is passing priority to Player 2. Player 2 uses 2 globals then says they are done with they actions they want to take. Priority passes back to Player 1 who decides is done taking actions and they are done and move to the attack step. Player 2 no longer has the ability to use globals in the main phase. Player 1 enters the attack phase and decides his attackers, but decides not to declare any attackers. The phase ends with neither player being able to use any more globals or actions.

The priority system is as simple as that, 1 passes to 2, after 1 passes again if they have taken no more actions the phase ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormyknight View Post
    Alright there are multiple ideas here which is just going to confuse people so I'll give you it in simple terms.

Player 1 and Player 2 are playing a game.

It is Player 1's turn, and he has energy he wants to use in their reserve pool during the main step. Player 2 also has energy in their reserve pool. Player 1 buys a dice, uses a global, but then player 2 says they want to use a global! Player 1 is not done with what they want to do so Player 2 has to wait. Player 1 uses another global then fields 2 characters. He designates that he is passing priority to Player 2. Player 2 uses 2 globals then says they are done with they actions they want to take. Priority passes back to Player 1 who decides is done taking actions and they are done and move to the attack step. Player 2 no longer has the ability to use globals in the main phase. Player 1 enters the attack phase and decides his attackers, but decides not to declare any attackers. The phase ends with neither player being able to use any more globals or actions.

The priority system is as simple as that, 1 passes to 2, after 1 passes again if they have taken no more actions the phase ends.
    Close, but not exactly correct.

When both players pass (WITHOUT EITHER PLAYER PERFORMING AN ACTION) the step ends.

If the active player does not declare attackers, there is no attack step. Move immediately to clean up step.

Quote Originally Posted by SarkhanMad View Post
    Close, but not exactly correct.

When both players pass (WITHOUT EITHER PLAYER PERFORMING AN ACTION) the step ends.

If the active player does not declare attackers, there is no attack step. Move immediately to clean up step.
    In tournament play, the active player takes as many sequential actions as desired (from zero to all possible actions) before pausing and indicating that the inactive player can take an action. The inactive player can then either perform an action or decline the op- portunity. Then the active player can take more actions.
    If the inactive player passes, and then the active player passes, no more actions can be taken that step (except for reactions to damage, as usual).

Out of the rulebook, exactly as I said. Once the active player has given the inactive player opportunity to do something, if the active player decides they are done after giving that opportunity and the active player passes as well then it passes phase. You might have misunderstood what I said.

The one important thing to take from this is there is always an attack step, the way the rest of the attack step is skipped is by declaring no attackers.

"After you have completed all your activity in the main step and moved leftover characters from your reserve pool to your used pile, you are ready to attack."

"The attack goes through the following steps, in order:
    H Declare Attackers
    Any or all of your fielded characters can attack. Move these characters into the attack zone. It costs no energy to move a character into the attack zone. You can send all, some, or none of your characters to attack. If you do not attack, your turn immediately ends (neither player can use global abilities in this case)..."

This what I was referring to:
    " Player 2 uses 2 globals then says they are done with they actions they want to take. Priority passes back to Player 1 who decides is done taking actions and they are done and move to the attack step. "