Thread: Are Basic Action Dice ever unusable? - Bruce Wayne of Earth

Are Basic Action Dice ever unusable? - Bruce Wayne of Earth

Batman – Bruce Wayne of Earth

“If you used a Basic Action Die this turn, Batman cannot be blocked.”

I have a few questions about what is considered the “use” of an action die, giving the wording of some on the action dice available.

Big Entrance:
    “When purchased, you may add this die to your dice bag. When used, dice purchased this turn cost 1 less than their printed cost (minimum 1), and may be put directly into your dice bag instead of your Used Pile. (No matter how many Big Entrance Dice are used.)”

What if I don’t buy any dice? The costs were still reduced by one, so could I consider this a used BAC if I didn’t purchase anything?

The Oppression Begins
    “KO all character dice with a fielding cost of 0.”

There are no characters out with a fielding cost of 0. Can I still use it and make my Batman unblockable?

Casualties
    “KO target sidekick”

There are no sidekicks fielded. Can I consider this use, with an ability that just fizzled?

Resurrection
    “Roll a die from your used pile (place it into your reserve).”

I don’t have any dice in my used pile. Can I still “use” this action dice?

Yes.
    Yes.
    No.
    No.

I think.

In a nutshell, the rule is "do as much as you can, unless there are no valid targets, in which case you cannot use that action".

And the reason the 2nd one is a yes is because it doesn't target, therefore the "unless there are no valid targets" condition doesn't apply.

But that is the one I am least confident about.

If using the die would create no effect it cannot be used. Creating a trigger able effect that you then do not trigger, is still generating an effect and counts as a use (Big Entrance). Playing an AoE effect, but not actually effecting anything is a grey area, but I believe would also fizzle (opression). Not being able to target something is a clearly defined case on unable to be used (casualties).
    Lastly, being unable to make any choices counts as unusable as well(resurection).

if you use a BA in the Attack Phase, after Batman attacks and has a blocker, the text of "Batman – Bruce Wayne of Earth
    “If you used a Basic Action Die this turn, Batman cannot be blocked” have no effect?

Quote Originally Posted by bartok View Post
    if you use a BA in the Attack Phase, after Batman attacks and has a blocker, the text of "Batman – Bruce Wayne of Earth
    “If you used a Basic Action Die this turn, Batman cannot be blocked” have no effect?
    Yeah, you'd have to use the BAC before the attack step to trigger Bat's ability.