Thread: Batman WoL Global

Batman WoL Global

Batman: Instill Great Fear (and I think the other WoL Batmans as well) have the following global:
    Use [1 Energy]. The first time you play a Basic Action this turn, draw one die and add it to your Prep Area.
    A question came up in a recent game I was playing - can this global be activated more than once per turn? The way I read it, there is nothing in that global that would limit you to only using it once. The first time you play a Basic Action this turn is when the effect is resolved, not when you can trigger the effect. The main reason for the distinction in my mind is that the "Use 1" is it's own sentence, which is not limited in any way. If it said "The first time you play a Basic Action this turn, you may pay 1 to draw one die and ...", then that would be limited. My opponents disagreed, and felt that you could only activate this global once per turn. Thoughts?

Different wording, same intent.

Use = Pay

The first time ... this turn = Once per turn

You can pay the 1 energy anytime you can use Globals, but the sequencing is important. This energy must be paid before you play the Basic Action. So, you cannot use a Basic Action in the Main Step, then pay for the Batman global in the Attack Step to draw a die (the Basic Action has been resolved and the turn has progressed to a different game state). But you can do the reserve: pay for the global in the Main Step, use the Basic Action in the Attack Step and then draw a die.

I understand you must pay this prior to using the action. The question is, can you use this global more than once before the first time you use a basic action. The way I would read it, I can pay 1 to trigger the pending effect of "the first time you play a basic action this turn, prep a die", and that effect would resolve when I use a basic action. I could then, still before using a basic action, again pay 1 to trigger a second pending effect of "the first time you play a basic action this turn, prep a die". Then, the first time a play a basic action card that turn, both pending effects would resolve, and I could prep 2 dice.

Quote Originally Posted by dwilhelmi View Post
    I understand you must pay this prior to using the action. The question is, can you use this global more than once before the first time you use a basic action. The way I would read it, I can pay 1 to trigger the pending effect of "the first time you play a basic action this turn, prep a die", and that effect would resolve when I use a basic action. I could then, still before using a basic action, again pay 1 to trigger a second pending effect of "the first time you play a basic action this turn, prep a die". Then, the first time a play a basic action card that turn, both pending effects would resolve, and I could prep 2 dice.
    Each instance of this global is a separate effect that must be resolved. If the syntax were such as: "Pay x, do y", then your assumption is valid. However, this ability has an adverbial (timing) clause: "the first time you play a basic action this turn", which would prohibit you from triggering this effect (drawing a die) multiple times.

The result of the effect (drawing of one die) is tied to the playing for the first time an Action Die, not to the amount of energy you paid/used for initiating the effect.
    Last edited by archivist; 10-19-2015 at 12:31 AM. Reason: corrected for the type of clause

I see the syntax here as "Pay x, do y". It is "Pay 1. Do prep a die the first time you use a basic action". How is the first time you use an action die a conditional? That seems like a timing statement, not a conditional statement.

I misused the word conditional. It is an adverbial clause, denoting timing, as you pointed out. Edited my comment.

You still can only use the global once per turn.