Thoughts on Inactive Player Global usage

Cross-posted from BGG:

Rulebook:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	102
    If I have a die with 2-energy faces and 1-energy faces, I can spend one energy and "spin down" the die. If I have a die that only has 2-energy faces, I have to spend it all immediately or lose the excess. However, I can "batch" purchases so I don't waste any.

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	103
    I can use (most) Global Abilities multiple times as long as I can pay for them. I can "spin down" dice that have 2-energy and 1-energy faces.

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	104
    I can "batch" purchases so I don't waste energy.

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	105
    Tournament Rules. Key word here is AN. The Inactive Player can take AN action, and then priority passes back to the Active Player.

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	169.7 KB 
ID:	106
    More on Global Abilities. They can be used multiple times, I can spin down dice, and (interestingly) Global Abilities that are paid for in a batch resolve as a single effect.

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	107
    Dice Masters FAQ Question 12. Two interesting points. First being that character/action dice with only 2-energy faces are treated the same as dice with only 2-generic-energy faces (i.e. Basic Action Dice). Second being that "You may take no actions in between and you may not pass priority to your opponent."

----------------------------------------------------

Actual cards:

Name:	7.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	108
    Cerebro die faces - only 2-energy faces (cannot be spun down)

Name:	8.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	17.6 KB 
ID:	109
    Professor X Global (aka PXG)

New ruling on WizKids rules forum:
    http://wizkidseventsystem.com/bb/vie...hp?f=10&t=5117

The inactive player can take multiple actions when it is their turn to act. Consider this from the rulebook:

However, in cases where both players may wish to use Global Abilities at the same time (e.g., one player is trying to use a Global Ability to knock out a character, and the other wants to boost the character’s defense), the active player always takes precedence. Thus, while it is fine to play loose in casual play, tournament play requires a stricter procedure.

So this means that if the active player is done taking actions during their Main Step, the inactive player can begin taking actions (from 1 to all possible actions). The active player may ask them to stop and interject an action.
    Example:
    Inactive Player: Uses a global to deal 1 damage to a character. (Ability resolves)
    Inactive Player: Uses a global to deal 1 damage to a character. (Ability resolves)
    Active Player: Uses a global to increase a character's defense by one. (Ability resolves)

-The Dice Masters Rules Team

The Professor X Global (PXG) is almost always going to be used on your opponent's turn, so you will be the Inactive Player.

From our previous understanding of the rules, based on the tournament play quote above, as the Inactive Player I can only perfom a single action before priority automatically passes to the Active Player. That means that if the only energy die I have is Cerebro, I can use PXG one time, priority passes back to the Active Player, and my second Mask energy is wasted.

From the new ruling linked above, it seems that once the Active Player has passed priority to the Inactive Player, they can now do as many actions as they would like unless/until the Active Player intentionally asks for priority back. So there's no problem using both Cerebro mask energy for a double-PXG.

Now, if I were "being a jerk" or "playing strategically" or whichever term you use for it, if my opponent only has a Cerebro die for Mask energy, I as the Active Player can pass them priority (while keeping at least one energy in reserve), and then as soon as they do the first PXG I can demand priority back to do another action, thus making them waste their second Cerebro mask. The question is would I be allowed to do that if I didn't have an energy of my own to spend? Could I request priority without doing anything, solely to force my opponent to lose half their energy?

I think it's a pretty unlikely scenario, that the only energy my opponent has saved on my turn is a Cerebro die, but that's the fun of dealing with hypotheticals.

My personal thought is that as quoted in the rulebook above, Global Abilities that are paid for in a batch resolve as a single effect.. So even if I'm the Inactive Player, and we're going with the old rules, my double-PXG that I paid for in a "batch" resolves as one effect, one action, after which the Active Player can have priority back if they want it. I *think* that's the direction WizKids is trying to go with the ruling, though (as always), who knows?

One question I have... If you are inactive player saving energy in case you are attacked, can you quickly use them (masks) to use your PXG ability before your C&D step begins, or must they go to your used pile?

If you passed in the main phase and the attack step doesn't happen then you have lost the chance to play those.

Thanks for the clarification! Just turned on the stream and your win. Great job!

These are great questions raised. Anything that creates a smarter player base is a good thing!

I just posted all this on WizKids Rules forums. We'll see if I get a response