Thread: Weird question about Canadian schooling

Weird question about Canadian schooling

So I was watching a video on youtube and the person mentioned a "social justice" course in high school. I tried googling this, and did not find anything one way or another. Can someone who knows a bit about Canadian schooling confirm/deny such a class exists and perhaps expand on if it's mandatory? Also, if you've taken said course could you explain what sort of things are taught in it? I find this intriguing for multiple reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Scum View Post
    So I was watching a video on youtube and the person mentioned a "social justice" course in high school. I tried googling this, and did not find anything one way or another. Can someone who knows a bit about Canadian schooling confirm/deny such a class exists and perhaps expand on if it's mandatory? Also, if you've taken said course could you explain what sort of things are taught in it? I find this intriguing for multiple reasons.
    Well, I went to a Catholic high school so I don't know how helpful I'll be in general, but I'll attempt to answer you question. Of course, I can only speak for myself and a handful of other anecdotes from people I know.

Sort of, it can vary by province, but instead of being a full course, it's usually just incorporated into some part of some other course curriculum, and as far as I know, not as a "social justice" course. There are a lot of times when these topics can be brought up, such a during debates, class discussions and essays, so I believe some schools might try and address it. Now, in catholic high schools, these subjects were approached by the Religion class, which was mandatory to take every year at the place I attended. Now, you might immediately think this would immediately destroy the purpose of teaching this sort of thing, but depending on what kind of teacher you had, nothing would be taboo and topics were discussed openly and honestly. I think these topics were just shoved in to the Religion class because it (the class) was lacking in in depth content, so they had to do something to make it possible to write some kind of argumentative essay.

I won't list all of the topics covered because I'm not sure if there are any super young users on the forum who don't post and I don't want to hear about someone's 6 year old asking them about something that they may be too young to entirely understand, in which case poor grandma faints at the dinner table out of disbelief, but they can include:

LGBT Rights/acceptance
    Feminism
    Incarceration/Death Penalty
    Minority rights
    Other religions
    War and tragedies
    ETC

Now, this is only for Catholic schools, and I happened to go to a pretty good one, despite not really being religious. As for whether or not an actual "social justice" class exists, I haven't heard of anything widespread, but I can infer that it may have been an elective course. These can vary school by school, and are only offered if they can make some sort of curriculum and have someone who will be qualified to teach it. I have no idea what being qualified to teach a social justice course would even look like. Kind of like people who are social media experts. I get why they exist and that they are useful to companies, but to me it sounds more like "sensible person who knows how to use the internet and not destroy a company's reputation". That's not a jab at people who do that for a living, it seems odd to me when I really think about it.