Thread: Hal Jordan and Power Source

Hal Jordan and Power Source

I just wanted to be clear about this combo. If an opposing player blocked me while I have Power Source active, it would effectively constitute "using an action this turn", Thus also triggering Hal Jordan's ability as well. Correct?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	power source.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	3605Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hal jordan.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	3606

Sadly, no, for two reasons:

1.) Green Lantern checks for his ability the moment he assigns to attack. Since your opponent has not yet blocked, Lantern Battery will not have triggered and Green Lantern's effect will be wasted.

2.) "Using" an action is defined as either moving it from your reserve pool to the out-of-play area/field (depending on if it's continuous or not) or triggering its ability via another card effect like Beholder - Master Aberration. Since neither of these definitions are met, you haven't "used" an action die that turn making the first point moot.

If you played Lantern Battery (i.e. rolled and fielded it) and then attacked Green Lantern - Hal Jordan in that same turn, you would deal damage with his effect, but that's the only circumstance these two work together.

Ah darn. Thanks for clearing that up M8.

Quote Originally Posted by Necromanticer View Post
    If you played Lantern Battery (i.e. rolled and fielded it) and then attacked Green Lantern - Hal Jordan in that same turn, you would deal damage with his effect, but that's the only circumstance these two work together.
    Why would this be the case? The Battery still isn't "used" when fielded. I get using it and putting it Out of Play but Fielding an Action that is triggered while Active as well?

Quote Originally Posted by koolkat67 View Post
    Why would this be the case? The Battery still isn't "used" when fielded. I get using it and putting it Out of Play but Fielding an Action that is triggered while Active as well?
    Yes it is. If you check back to my explanation part 2, you'll see that I specifically made note of this circumstance. Action dice are considered "used" when you spend them from your reserve pool. It doesn't matter if they go to the out-of-play area or to the field as part of a continuous effect, it all counts as "using" the action die. Activating or triggering a continuous action's effect from the field does not qualify as "using" it.

As such, by fielding the Lantern Battery, you have "used" an action die that turn. Attacking with Green Lantern later that turn will then deal 2 damage since you've satisfied his effect triggers and all is right with the world.

Yes it is. If you check back to my explanation part 2, you'll see that I specifically made note of this circumstance. Action dice are considered "used" when you spend them from your reserve pool. It doesn't matter if they go to the out-of-play area or to the field as part of a continuous effect, it all counts as "using" the action die. Activating or triggering a continuous action's effect from the field does not qualify as "using" it.

As such, by fielding the Lantern Battery, you have "used" an action die that turn. Attacking with Green Lantern later that turn will then deal 2 damage since you've satisfied his effect triggers and all is right with the world.
    Good to know! thanks!

Action dice are considered "used" when you spend them from your reserve pool.
    http://www.wizkidseventsystem.com/bb...on+used#p10691

I thought, you have to played/used. Reading this:
    """Doctor Strange looks at when you use the die for an effect (not an energy). If Invulnerability was played/used during the Main Step, and that is when Dr. Strange would deal the 2 damage.
    When Invulnerability is used, it isn't clear the die will have no effect, so it can be played. If an action die said, "KO a Sidekick." and there were no Sidekicks to KO, you couldn't use that die to get Dr. Strange's bonus since it is guaranteed to do nothing.
    -The Dice Masters Rules Team"""

But reading this is similar about necromanticer said.
    "Dr. Strange's ability happens when the die is removed from the Reserve Pool for its effect (whether that moves it to the Field Zone or the Used Pile or Out of Play). When action dice use effects from the Field Zone, Dr. Strange doesn't trigger.
    -The Dice Masters Rules Team

Again i dont understand "When action dice use effects from the Field Zone, Dr. Strange doesnt trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by bartok View Post
    http://www.wizkidseventsystem.com/bb...on+used#p10691

I thought, you have to played/used. Reading this:
    """Doctor Strange looks at when you use the die for an effect (not an energy). If Invulnerability was played/used during the Main Step, and that is when Dr. Strange would deal the 2 damage.
    When Invulnerability is used, it isn't clear the die will have no effect, so it can be played. If an action die said, "KO a Sidekick." and there were no Sidekicks to KO, you couldn't use that die to get Dr. Strange's bonus since it is guaranteed to do nothing.
    -The Dice Masters Rules Team"""

But reading this is similar about necromanticer said.
    "Dr. Strange's ability happens when the die is removed from the Reserve Pool for its effect (whether that moves it to the Field Zone or the Used Pile or Out of Play). When action dice use effects from the Field Zone, Dr. Strange doesn't trigger.
    -The Dice Masters Rules Team

Again i dont understand "When action dice use effects from the Field Zone, Dr. Strange doesnt trigger.
    This is referring to actions like Millennium Puzzle. Millennium Puzzle is a continuous die that you can send from the field to the used pile in order to send a target character to the used pile as well.

"Using" Millennium Puzzle is the moment you place it into the field. The moment the die leaves your reserve pool, it has been "used," it will not be "used" again when you activate its effect and goes to the used pile. An example of how this would break down in play is thus:

I have a Doctor Strange in the field.
    I roll Millennium Puzzle to an action face.
    I play Millennium Puzzle and move it to the field.
    This triggers Doctor Strange and deals 2 damage to my opponent.
    3 turns later, my opponent fields a Hulk die.
    When I am passed priority, I activate Millennium Puzzle and send both it and Hulk to the used pile.
    This does not count as "using" an action and so Doctor Strange deals no ability damage.

As you can see, effects that trigger when an action die is "used" trigger when the die leaves the reserve pool (by being spent, not if you hold on to them until the cleanup step), not when the die activates.