Thread: Do you keep your own teams or do random teams?

Do you keep your own teams or do random teams?

What do you people generally do for teams? Do you keep the same team all the time and swap one character here and there or play random or both?

We began by picking our own teams but found out in a hurry that for 1) it got kind of boring 2) we would never use most of the characters we have
    so we switched to random teams. I've never played at events or anything so I'm sure there you would make your own team unless you do a Draft.

How do you determine the random cards? Do you shuffle just all cards an draw after another one card?

I mean i could see to make 3 stacks with 1-3,4-6 and 7 to 10 costs and would make a draw like in Hearthstone(3 cards choose one) or just draw 3 from the first and second stack and 2 from the last.

We mostly create teams on the fly and test them out or make special criterias like different Formats(like one energy or all 3 cost) and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ressless View Post
    How do you determine the random cards? Do you shuffle just all cards an draw after another one card?

I mean i could see to make 3 stacks with 1-3,4-6 and 7 to 10 costs and would make a draw like in Hearthstone(3 cards choose one) or just draw 3 from the first and second stack and 2 from the last.

We mostly create teams on the fly and test them out or make special criterias like different Formats(like one energy or all 3 cost) and so on.
    We've tried several methods...the ones we like are

1) Shuffle 4 piles (like you said broken up into costs), 1-3, 4, 5, 6+ or something. One player picks from 1-3, if they dont like it, next player can decide to take it, if they both dont, then both have to take the next 2 cards. So we go through each pile, getting 2 characters from each. If a double shows up, we just move on.

2) Take 4 random from each pile, face them up in 4 rows. Row 1 is Cost 1-3, Row 2 is Cost 4 and so on. So Player 1 picks the first character from Row 1, Player 2 get to pick the next 2, Player 1 gets the last one left. Then move through all the rows, alternating who picks first.

Or you could get 10 or 12 random cards from the whole deck and get to discard whatever to get down to 8
    Or get 3 random from each pile and discard 1 each.

With these methods is a mix of random and selection.

The other day, we (2 players) took some leftover packs (15-20, I think) and opened them and separated them by energy. then took turns rolling a sidekick die for energy to see which piles you got. then built "sealed" teams using just the 2 energy types. It was kinda cool. Made otherwise "too situational" cards really good.
    was my game winner, because I knew he would have shields.
    Like I said, we only tried this once...

@koolkat67 have you tried building teams with restrictions?

little cup (can only use commons and starter characters)
    Standard (can only use the 2 most recent sets)

also, try:
    Each player creates a team for their opponent to play. (set some purchase cost guidelines, so you don't each create teams of only 7+cost characters). might add some fun and excitement

used to do Grid Drafting in mtg, I have been wanting to try it in DM...

http://www.channelfireball.com/artic...ting-and-more/

Not sure on how many card to start with...

Quote Originally Posted by SarkhanMad View Post
    @koolkat67
    Each player creates a team for their opponent to play. (set some purchase cost guidelines, so you don't each create teams of only 7+cost characters). might add some fun and excitement
    Or you could each build a team, then roll a d6. 1 or 2 and you keep the team you built, 3-6 means you trade teams. If there's a chance you'll end up with the team you're building, you'll build it right.

I just read this article:

http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/tcg...formats-casual
    The DC10/Type 4 is nuts!
    Imagine being able to purchase any die you want, every turn, for free! (only purchase 1 die per turn). crazy! Would definitely need some kind of structure, making cards available in stages or something...

I have about 10 set teams at a given time. If I have a new idea for a team I want to try, I dismantle a previous team. I keep one team that is fully adjustable as it is my Anti-meta team. Most have a few cards for variation, but I stick to 3 cards max for that. Anymore and you might as well rethink the team.

ehh.... i usually rebuild, i like using a bolt team that is pretty fast but there are to many cards to counter it now :/