Thread: Newbie breath question

Newbie breath weapon question

Not sure I understand the ability. Does the ability require the character to attack? Does it replace an attack? Can I use it multiple times as long as I have energy? Can I use breath weapon and then attack?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Moses2813; 10-21-2015 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Mistake

The character must attack. It does not replace the attack. You can use it once per unique character with that ability that attacks. It can only be used when the character is assigned to attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    The character must attack. It does not replace the attack. You can use it once per unique character with that ability that attacks. It can only be used when the character is assigned to attack.
    To further clarify Breath Weapons, the dragon die performing the breath weapon must be assigned to attack and than have the appropriate cost (usually energy) paid to activate the breath weapon. You would than resolve other when assigned to attack abilities followed by assigning blockers, resolving their when assigned to block abilities, actions and globals, and than assign damage.

Please note, that as Scorpion said, you can only use a breath weapon once per card per attack. Meaning that if you attack with 2 Green Dragons and 1 Blue Dragon, you are allowed to pay the cost for 1 green dragon and the blue dragon's breath weapon. The second Green Dragon could not do the breath weapon.

Thanks for the responses. One final question. For those dragons that say "pay one ........". If I have enough energy, can I pay more than that to do additional damage?

You also can't partially pay. SO if it's breathweapon 3, you must pay 3 to activate the ability and deal 3 damage. You can not partially pay 1 and deal 1 damage or 2 and deal 2 damage. It's an all or none ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Moses2813 View Post
    Thanks for the responses. One final question. For those dragons that say "pay one ........". If I have enough energy, can I pay more than that to do additional damage?
    Scorpion answered it, but for team building strategies, if you are using a Bolt Dragon and have Cyclops Field Leader active, the dragon's breath weapon would do 1 more damage. Otherwise, the breath weapons are a one time use per turn at set damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordred414 View Post
    Make sure you read the actual definitions in the D&D rulebook. The reminder text on the cards for abilities in that set is woefully inadequate. I would have played the swarm ability very wrong going by just the reminder text.

Good habit for other sets, too, as many abilities' official rulebook wording differs from the cards (i.e. retaliation)
    Almost everyone played Swarm wrong in one way or the other when they first got it. My buddy and I thought it applied to whenever you draw from the bag, not just during the initial draw.