Thread: Order of How Attack is Resolved

Order of How Attack is Resolved

I know I've seen it several times in various posts but can someone explain or point me to the Order of How Everything is Resolved during Battles, depending on buffs triggering While Active or When Damaged or whenever...and if they go through or not depending on being KO'd or not.

It seems When Damaged buffs still go through if the character is KO'd but don't if its a While Active buff and the character is KO'd. That seems confusing to me

The order of the entire attack step broken down into each bit of minutia is as follows:

1. Declare attackers
    2. "When attacking" effects trigger
    3. Declare blockers to the attackers
    4. "When blocked/engaged" and "when blocking" effects trigger
    5. Globals and actions can be played
    6. Combat damage is assigned
    7. Combat damage resolves
    8. Knockouts are applied

What you need to understand is that whenever and effect triggers, it will get resolved unless the game ends beforehand. It is for this reason that "when damaged" effects still go off before the character being damaged is knocked out.

Slight but important amendment to @Necromanticer 's list:
    Quote Originally Posted by Necromanticer View Post
    1. Declare attackers
    2. "When attacking" effects trigger resolve
    4. "When blocked/engaged" and "when blocking" effects trigger resolve
    8. Knockouts are applied
    Also the way damage is assigned and resolved is a little more complex and detailed than suggested by this list.

@Scorpion0x17 , too right! I mixed up my words there with trigger/resolve. These effects trigger when the associated character is declared, but they have a special phase for resolving.

As far as damage being complicated, that's also true. I suppose I should have included a step between 7 and 8 for "when damaged" effects to resolve, but that can get a bit recursive. Suffice it to say that you resolve triggered effects before moving to the next major step and that there's a second knockout check in the cleanup step for determining if a character would be knocked out due to another character being knocked out (such as Vibe - Paco or Groot - We Are Groot).

@Scorpion0x17 , too right! I mixed up my words there with trigger/resolve. These effects trigger when the associated character is declared, but they have a special phase for resolving.
    I had to correct myself just the other day when I made a very similar mistake.

I think it's so easy to get wrong because it's slightly counter-intuitive, but it is key to understanding how a number of effects and interactions in the game work.

As far as damage being complicated, that's also true. I suppose I should have included a step between 7 and 8 for "when damaged" effects to resolve, but that can get a bit recursive. Suffice it to say that you resolve triggered effects before moving to the next major step and that there's a second knockout check in the cleanup step for determining if a character would be knocked out due to another character being knocked out (such as Vibe - Paco or Groot - We Are Groot).
    Yeah. I started to re-work that part of the list too, but realised I don't have the time to write a post that will do the subject justice right now.

Should we Add to:

Knockouts are applied / Unblocked Attacker goes Out of play
    ?

@Ressless | No, unblocked attackers are sent out-of-play the same moment they deal damage to the player. Moving them out-of-play is part of resolving their damage.

From the WoL rulebook:

"Unblocked characters are moved Out of Play after dealing damage,
    before any other effects resolve other than those that would replace
    damage."

The order of the entire attack step broken down into each bit of minutia is as follows:

1. Declare attackers
    2. "When attacking" effects trigger
    4. "When blocked/engaged" and "when blocking" effects trigger
    8. Knockouts are applied

What you need to understand is that whenever and effect triggers, it will get resolved unless the game ends beforehand. It is for this reason that "when damaged" effects still go off before the character being damaged is knocked out.
    I was not aware of 5 where you can play Action (including BAC I take it) after Blockers are declared. So BACs like Inner Rage (Two of your characters get +1A and +1D until the end of the turn). I always figured cards like this would have to be decided before Attack.
    Or Power Bolt (Deal 2 damage to one target character or player). That definitely changes the game for us.

Quote Originally Posted by koolkat67 View Post
    I was not aware of 5 where you can play Action (including BAC I take it) after Blockers are declared. So BACs like Inner Rage (Two of your characters get +1A and +1D until the end of the turn). I always figured cards like this would have to be decided before Attack.
    Or Power Bolt (Deal 2 damage to one target character or player). That definitely changes the game for us.
    Just remember: only the active player can play actions (since unused go away at the end of the turn). Also remember that once an attacker is blocked, they remain blocked even if their blocked is KO'd (by Power Bolt, for example). So that attacker still wouldn't be able to damage the opponent (unless they have Overcrush).

Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    Just remember: only the active player can play actions (since unused go away at the end of the turn). Also remember that once an attacker is blocked, they remain blocked even if their blocked is KO'd (by Power Bolt, for example). So that attacker still wouldn't be able to damage the opponent (unless they have Overcrush).
    exactly. just some actions that add A and D could change the outcome of who gets KO'd. we just never played this way before. This will certainly changes things for us. thanks!

exactly. just some actions that add A and D could change the outcome of who gets KO'd. we just never played this way before. This will certainly changes things for us. thanks!
    Also, it's really useful to hold onto overcrush actions like Anger Issues or Thrown Car until after you've seen how your opponent declares blockers.

Also, it's really useful to hold onto overcrush actions like Anger Issues or Thrown Car until after you've seen how your opponent declares blockers.
    wow, come to think of it that seems a little off and such a huge advantage. you could essentially have a few characters each in the field, player 1 with overcrush ready to use can put forth 2 sidekicks (holding back overcrush), the player 2 blocks with 2 sidekicks and now player 1 can add Overcrush to one sidekick? and now player 2 can't add more blockers? that really changes the game for us. We were applying things like Overcrush before blockers are assigned the defender has a chance to add multiple blockers to defend himself.

that was a bad example with sidekicks. but say player 1 with overcrush had high A guys out and player 2 defended with sidekicks. player 1 could add Anger Issues after the fact. it just seems like such an advantage but I guess thats what it is.

ok another question with timing. If you are using Storm Ro (After blockers are assigned, reroll all character engaged with Storm. please each such die that does not show a character in your opponent's prep area). does this happen before or after Actions used after Blockers are assigned?

ok another question with timing. If you are using Storm Ro (After blockers are assigned, reroll all character engaged with Storm. please each such die that does not show a character in your opponent's prep area). does this happen before or after Actions used after Blockers are assigned?
    I play it as happening during step 4, but you could argue that it either happens either during step 5 or between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    I play it as happening during step 4, but you could argue that it either happens either during step 5 or between the two.
    So she goes before Actions. this makes the most sense to me too.

So she goes before Actions. this makes the most sense to me too.
    Yep, that's how I play it.

what is trigger and what is resolve in the game? they seem to be almost interchangeable but mean different things. When are they each used?

what is trigger and what is resolve in the game? they seem to be almost interchangeable but mean different things. When are they each used?
    Trying to find words to explain that without making it even more confusing...

And failing.

Trigger = a game effect that causes the game effect of another character to initiate

Resolve = to complete the application of a game effect

Whenever a game effect is triggered, it is resolved immediately. Refer to the Rule Book (p22):

"Once activated, an effect is always resolved entirely before the next effect begins."

Also note, from the Rule Book:
    "You cannot use an effect after your opponent starts an effect but before it resolves. The only exception to this is when an effect redirects or prevents damage, but those situations are clearly spelled out in the card text."

Example of Play:
    You are the active player and you have a level 1 Hulk - Green Goliath fielded. During the Main Step, you use the Magic Missile global to 'ping' your Hulk for 1 damage (this is the trigger). This activates Hulk's ability, doing 3 damage to each opposing character die. This damage must be applied (resolved) before any other game effect can occur (i.e. your opponent cannot buff a character die to give it more defense to avoid being KO'd).

Quote Originally Posted by archivist View Post
    Whenever a game effect is triggered, it is resolved immediately. Refer to the Rule Book (p22):

"Once activated, an effect is always resolved entirely before the next effect begins."

"You cannot use an effect after your opponent starts an effect but before it resolves. The only exception to this is when an effect redirects or prevents damage, but those situations are clearly spelled out in the card text."
    That's the bit I was struggling to not make sound more confusing.

I had just arrived at, and was about to post something that included:

"Triggered game effects resolve immediately but not until after the effect that triggered them resolves."

But it looks like archivist has covered all the bases, so I don't think there is anything to add.

Quote Originally Posted by archivist View Post
    Trigger = a game effect that causes the game effect of another character to initiate

Resolve = to complete the application of a game effect

Example of Play:
    You are the active player and you have a level 1 Hulk - Green Goliath fielded. During the Main Step, you use the Magic Missile global to 'ping' your Hulk for 1 damage (this is the trigger). This activates Hulk's ability, doing 3 damage to each opposing character die. This damage must be applied (resolved) before any other game effect can occur (i.e. your opponent cannot buff a character die to give it more defense to avoid being KO'd).
    You nailed it! Thanks! And Hulk is the reason I asked this when I read this post
    https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/137...eplay-question
    I would have not played that way. I would have done Hulks damage after all of Blue Beetles damage but this makes sense now.