Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ranx - Sentient City vs Hulk out

Quote Originally Posted by zomburs View Post
    Let say I have Ranx 3/6 (he can block up to two characters) on the board and he blocks two characters. Lets say character 1 is Vixen - Mari McCabe 2/2 and character 2 is Punisher - Vigilante 6/2 (with overcrush from Hulk out). How does the over crush work out?
    My guess would be that the attacker gets to resolve priority. Therefore he would make the Vixen attack first, making the Ranx a 3/4 then Punisher would attack and Hulk Out would do 2 damage to you. In instances where it matters the attacker gets to choose in which order things resolve in.

All damage is simultaneous. As long as there is enough total damage coming in to KO Ranx, the Overcrush will proc.

Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    All damage is simultaneous. As long as there is enough total damage coming in to KO Ranx, the Overcrush will proc.
    ^^^ This.

Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    So Vixen AND Punisher have Overcrush?

Quote Originally Posted by koolkat67 View Post
    So Vixen AND Punisher have Overcrush?
    No, only Punisher.

A total of 8 damage is dealt by Vixen and Punisher.

This is more than enough to KO Ranx.

So, Punisher's Overcrush kicks in and the excess is dealt to the opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    No, only Punisher.

A total of 8 damage is dealt by Vixen and Punisher.

This is more than enough to KO Ranx.

So, Punisher's Overcrush kicks in and the excess is dealt to the opponent.
    So how much makes it to the opponent?

Yeah, going on the numbers given in the first post, 2 damage goes through to the opponent.

The question however is whether the opponent can choose to have Ranx soak up all of Punisher's 6 attack with his 6 defense and then it's Vixen's non-Overcrushed 2 attack leftover.

I think the answer is simple enough but I can't think of any example where they've addressed this specifically and explicitly.

What if character 1 has 8 attack and character 2 (with Overcrush) has 8 attack?

What if character 1 has 8 attack and character 2 (with Overcrush) has 8 attack?
    Overcrush:
    When attacking, if this character knocks out all of its
    blockers, it deals any leftover damage to your opponent.

Since damage is simultaneous there would be 8 overcrush damage leftover, similar to the rulings that if the blocker is removed or if you had used some direct damage or action to KO the blocker.

Think of it as the KO of all blockers causes you to check how much damage is "leftover" (doesn't matter where it came from)and then deal up to that characters attack to the opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by CeeQue View Post
    Overcrush:
    When attacking, if this character knocks out all of its
    blockers, it deals any leftover damage to your opponent.

Since damage is simultaneous there would be 8 overcrush damage leftover, similar to the rulings that if the blocker is removed or if you had used some direct damage or action to KO the blocker.

Think of it as the KO of all blockers causes you to check how much damage is "leftover" (doesn't matter where it came from)and then deal up to that characters attack to the opponent.
    Right but Ranx (3/6) is blocking both characters. So how does this resolve? how much goes to the opponent? Does the Attacker decide that Character 2 (overcrush) attack first sending the extra 2 to the opponent? If so, does Character 1 now get to fully go through with another 8 damage to the opponent? Total 10 to opponent.
    Or Character 1 attacks first and is blocked. Now character 2 goes through with 8 to the opponent. Total 8 to opponent.

What is neither had overcrush? do they both get blocked? (3D of Ranx to each character) Or just one is blocked? If one, does the other go fully into the opponent?

Quote Originally Posted by alleyviper View Post
    The question however is whether the opponent can choose to have Ranx soak up all of Punisher's 6 attack with his 6 defense and then it's Vixen's non-Overcrushed 2 attack leftover.

I think the answer is simple enough but I can't think of any example where they've addressed this specifically and explicitly.
    I think by the definition of overcrush and damage being simultaneous, no one gets to choose. Deal left over damage up to the overcrushing character's attack.

Also the rule book gives timing priority decisions to the player whose turn it is. So even then I don't think the opponent would choose.

But you are the world champ so I guess if you told me that you get to choose I'd kiss the ring . (Do you get a ring?)

Quote Originally Posted by alleyviper View Post

It's part of the basic rules.

1. The attacking player assigns combat damage to blockers as they wish.
    2. Simultaneous effects controlled by a single player resolve in the order chosen by the player that controls them.

2. Simultaneous effects controlled by a single player resolve in the order chosen by the player that controls them.
    if I have 2 non-overcrush attackers with 8/2 each against Ranx (3/6). what get through to the opponent? I dont want rules, just numbers...lol. sorry, its just getting confusing with all these scenarios. its hard to find a few "rules of thumb" to follow in this game.

if I have 2 non-overcrush attackers with 8/2 each against Ranx (3/6). what get through to the opponent? I dont want rules, just numbers...lol. sorry, its just getting confusing with all these scenarios. its hard to find a few "rules of thumb" to follow in this game.
    Zero.

The rule of thumb in this instance is simple:

If the attackers don't have Overcrush, and are blocked, none gets through to the opponent.

Zero.

The rule of thumb in this instance is simple:

If the attackers don't have Overcrush, and are blocked, none gets through to the opponent.
    you're so right! I feel like I'm going in circles sometimes with the rules. ok so since Ranx is (3/6) he DOES KO one of the attackers, right? And I assume the Attacker decider which is KO'd.

Right but Ranx (3/6) is blocking both characters. So how does this resolve? how much goes to the opponent? Does the Attacker decide that Character 2 (overcrush) attack first sending the extra 2 to the opponent? If so, does Character 1 now get to fully go through with another 8 damage to the opponent? Total 10 to opponent.
    Or Character 1 attacks first and is blocked. Now character 2 goes through with 8 to the opponent. Total 8 to opponent.

What is neither had overcrush? do they both get blocked? (3D of Ranx to each character) Or just one is blocked? If one, does the other go fully into the opponent?
    I think the important point is that no one decides what order the damage is dealt. Both attacking Characters deal damage to Ranx at the sametime (total of 16, no one decides the order it is simultaneous). They dealt enough total damage to KO Ranx so overcrush from Character 2 triggers, since there is more than 8 leftover damage that character deals 8 damage to the opponent.
    Total 8 to opponent.

If neither has overcrush they both bet blocked, no damaged to opponent. The extra damage doesn't count. Maybe it's all piling up out of play.
    Scorpion0x17 and I are saying the same thing, I think, so I'll go quiet on this thread; hope that makes sense.

you're so right! I feel like I'm going in circles sometimes with the rules. ok so since Ranx is (3/6) he DOES KO one of the attackers, right? And I assume the Attacker decider which is KO'd.
    Ranx's controller decides how the damage he deals is distributed amongst the characters he is blocking.

Ranx's controller decides how the damage he deals is distributed amongst the characters he is blocking.
    How do you know this? If there are multiple blockers then the Attacker decides.

How do you know this? If there are multiple blockers then the Attacker decides.
    There was a ruling, or FAQ entry, or some such.

Can't find it now though.

There was a ruling, or FAQ entry, or some such.

Can't find it now though.
    do you remember if it was a ruling based specifically on Ranx or a General Rule if a character can block more then one, then he/she decides the how damage is divided?

do you remember if it was a ruling based specifically on Ranx or a General Rule if a character can block more then one, then he/she decides the how damage is divided?
    It was not a ruling about Ranx specifically.

But it was about characters that can block more than one attacker.

Sure, we have basic rules about how an attacking player assigns damage to blockers, one to many, but not how damage is assigned to just one blocker, many to one.

I think it's a simple enough extension on the rules as already written but WK has not given us enough confidence to assume they wouldn't rule otherwise and it's worth investigating if there's any other way to interpret a ruling.