Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Anyone else getting burned on a pre-order by Board Game Warehouse?

  1. #1

    Anyone else getting burned on a pre-order by Board Game Warehouse?

    So I got a email from them today, and they are in the process of changing ownership, and thereby are cancelling my pre-orders, which happened to be a gravity feed of ASM (and 7 Wonders Duel).

    No biggie, I thought, as I'll just go to a different online retailer and.....oh wait....pre-orders no longer available at my usual places!

    I seem to remember this happening with the last few sets, and then about 1-2 weeks before (when they get solid numbers from their distributors), they become available again, but I can't remember.

    Can anyone confirm what I vaguely recall?

    I made my pre-order over a month ago, and thought I had this squared away and didn't have to worry about it...and now I cannot pre-order anywhere. Is ASM going to blow up so huge that I might not be able to jump in?
    ************************************************** **********************************************

    On a similar note, what is everyone's success with FLGS giving a discount for ordering feed's through them?
    I'd like to bring it up to my store, but I feel awkward about asking/haggling for a good deal (And I'm not talking price matching, just a 15% discount or so). I feel like my putting it out there without them advertising it is shady, and I don't want to be one of "those customers" that whines about retail and mentions online prices. I buy everything else through them, but it's hard to argue with a guaranteed SR and a near full set of C/UC, for 33% off.
    Are there some shop owners around that could give me their policies and opinions on this?

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by SirFrankus View Post
    On a similar note, what is everyone's success with FLGS giving a discount for ordering feed's through them?
    I'd like to bring it up to my store, but I feel awkward about asking/haggling for a good deal (And I'm not talking price matching, just a 15% discount or so). I feel like my putting it out there without them advertising it is shady, and I don't want to be one of "those customers" that whines about retail and mentions online prices. I buy everything else through them, but it's hard to argue with a guaranteed SR and a near full set of C/UC, for 33% off.
    Are there some shop owners around that could give me their policies and opinions on this?
    Note: Not a store owner.

    It probably depends on the relationship you have with your store. If they know you as a regular, and you are consistently spending money in their store, you might approach it as a "volume discount". You're functionally buying 90 packs at once, and if you talk to them soon enough they could even (potentially) order extra knowing you will be picking it up.

    I know several people have discussed discounts that their FLGS gives them, so it's definitely not inconceivable.

  3. #3
    My FLGS will cut me a deal, but not as low as Cool Stuff. I still support them, just not with my DM pack purchases. I buy other games there, sleeves, and even DM starters so I don't feel bad about this one thing.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Scum View Post
    My FLGS will cut me a deal, but not as low as Cool Stuff. I still support them, just not with my DM pack purchases. I buy other games there, sleeves, and even DM starters so I don't feel bad about this one thing.
    My local store does 10% on all preorders. They also do a standard 10% off any orders over 100. Which my order always is. This isn't cumulative unfortunately but I'm keen to support my local store despite I can get 20% online. My store owner is great, happy to pass out spare promos for casual play and generally supports anything we want to run.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    Note: Not a store owner.

    It probably depends on the relationship you have with your store. If they know you as a regular, and you are consistently spending money in their store, you might approach it as a "volume discount". You're functionally buying 90 packs at once, and if you talk to them soon enough they could even (potentially) order extra knowing you will be picking it up.

    I know several people have discussed discounts that their FLGS gives them, so it's definitely not inconceivable.
    I second giving them a heads up regarding more stock. My store takes preorders generally when they get the weekly order solicit, so at most 5 days before stock lands (usually 4). I would imagine this means that some preorders come in AFTER they submit their order to the supplier, which could lead to the store being understocked for the actual demand. I'm definitely aware a few players who normally only buy up to 30 packets week of release are now looking at grabbing gravity feeds. This could see us sell up to 8 GF in bulk, which i THINK is more than our store got in total for each of the last two sets for the week of release. So by giving a heads up (and nudging others to do the same) it lets our store owner get enough in that he can also stock the shelves for anyone else looking to grab some.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •