Thread: Lantern Ring, Fatality, Cheetah x2, and Human Paladin Global

Lantern Ring, Fatality, Cheetah x2, and Human Paladin Global

I have:

Lantern Ring: Limited Only By Imagination

2 dice of Cheetah: Cursed Archaeologist

Fatality: Bounty Hunter

I also have 5 in my reserve pool.

I attack with both Cheetah dice and Fatality.

My opponent pays a shield to activate Human Paladin's global and declares Cheetah.

How much damage do I deal my opponent?

Human Paladin global does not work the way you appear to think it works.

Each and every time you assign one of your character's to attack, your opponent can respond by paying a Shield to activate HPG and negate the damage caused by that character's abilities (including that given to them by Lantern Ring).

So how much damage they take is dependant on how many times the activate the global, and when.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    Human Paladin global does not work the way you appear to think it works.

Each and every time you assign one of your character's to attack, your opponent can respond by paying a Shield to activate HPG and negate the damage caused by that character's abilities (including that given to them by Lantern Ring).

So how much damage they take is dependant on how many times the activate the global, and when.
    Could you walk me through it please? Based on the scenario I described above, what happens and why?

Quote Originally Posted by Razorback View Post
    Could you walk me through it please? Based on the scenario I described above, what happens and why?
    I'm not Scorpion, but this is how the interactions would break down:

You enter your attack step by declaring three attackers: 1 Fatality and 2 Cheetah's.

This triggers both Cheetah's innate ability and all 3 of them trigger the when attacking ability of the Lantern Ring.

Currently, the Cheetah's are each dealing 6 ability damage each (5 from the bolts in your reserve and 1 from their innate ability) while Fatality is only dealing 5.

Your opponent doesn't want to take 17 damage, so he spends a shield on the Human Paladin global and reduces one of your Cheetah's damage to 1.

Before blockers are declared, he will have taken 6 damage from 1 Cheetah, 1 damage from the other, and 5 damage from Fatality for a total of 12 damage.

12 damage gets through and one shield was spent.

Quote Originally Posted by Necromanticer View Post

You enter your attack step by declaring three attackers: 1 Fatality and 2 Cheetah's.

This triggers both Cheetah's innate ability and all 3 of them trigger the when attacking ability of the Lantern Ring.

Currently, the Cheetah's are each dealing 6 ability damage each (5 from the bolts in your reserve and 1 from their innate ability) while Fatality is only dealing 5.

Your opponent doesn't want to take 17 damage, so he spends a shield on the Human Paladin global and reduces one of your Cheetah's damage to 1.

Before blockers are declared, he will have taken 6 damage from 1 Cheetah, 1 damage from the other, and 5 damage from Fatality for a total of 12 damage.

Thanks Necro! That's what I thought would happen, but I wanted to make sure I had the correct understanding.

I thought that you perhaps thought that by naming Cheetah, as you put it in your original post, you could negate the damage done by both Cheetahs not just the one.

I also, in reading it back, realise that I phrased my post poorly, in that I implied that the opponent could choose to respond to each instance of a character being assigned to attack, when in fact it is the resolution of each character's ability that can be responded to.

Apologies if that caused confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    I thought that you perhaps thought that by naming Cheetah, as you put it in your original post, you could negate the damage done by both Cheetahs not just the one.

I also, in reading it back, realise that I phrased my post poorly, in that I implied that the opponent could choose to respond to each instance of a character being assigned to attack, when in fact it is the resolution of each character's ability that can be responded to.

Apologies if that caused confusion.
    No problem. I actually wondered if naming Cheetah would negate damage caused by both dice. I didn't think it would, but I've been wrong on rules before. That's why I wanted to make sure I had understood it correctly.

Thanks for replying! I really appreciate you guys who know what you are doing!

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Necromanticer View Post

[INDENT]You enter your attack step by declaring three attackers: 1 Fatality and 2 Cheetah's.

Reduces Cheetah to two. 1 from her ability and 1 from ring ability. These are two distinct game effects and cannot be combined and mitigated by one Paladin global use.

13 damage total.