Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: I've been playing with Big Entrance Allies

  1. #1

    I've been playing with Big Entrance Allies

    And it seems pretty solid. My build started with:

    Aunt May - Independent

    Mary Jane - MJ

    Green Goblin - Gobby

    I considered different 2-cost fist and bolt options. Eventually, I settled on no 2-cost bolt characters (opting to sacrifice a little speed to focus on using Gobby) and I chose Tsarina over Guy Gardner since I wanted to keep my sidekicks/allies in the field.

    I considered the need for Constantine a (and to have answers for him), so I added Constantine and the rare Solomon Grundy. With Grundy and Gobby, BEWD seemed obvious. I also like to have the ability to ramp, so I picked- PGX Trainer (I prefer his ability in the off-chance I field him).

    I rounded-out the team with Resurrection, since I find it a really important part of being able to hit Big Entrance on turn two.

    What do you think? Any glaring errors or omissions?

  2. #2
    Looks alright, but beware Iron Fist and the Human Paladin.

  3. #3
    Iron Fist is largely mitigated by the extra Allies, I think. Is Grundy enough for the Paladin? Also, what about Iron Fist over Tsarina?

  4. #4
    Iron Fist is still reduction which could keep someone alive one extra turn (which is someone may need). Paladin's global is what is being used in this scenario, not his active ability, otherwise grundy is fantastic removal. Iron Fist nerfs down tsarina, so she becomes more manageable.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by bahamut7 View Post
    Iron Fist is still reduction which could keep someone alive one extra turn (which is someone may need). Paladin's global is what is being used in this scenario, not his active ability, otherwise grundy is fantastic removal. Iron Fist nerfs down tsarina, so she becomes more manageable.
    I'd use the rare Wasp in this case. Two reasons: 1) she will chip away every time someone has to use the Pally Global to mitigate the bigger damage and 2) it'll clear the way to name this team "Gobby's Gal Pals".

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by bahamut7 View Post
    Iron Fist is still reduction which could keep someone alive one extra turn (which is someone may need). Paladin's global is what is being used in this scenario, not his active ability, otherwise grundy is fantastic removal. Iron Fist nerfs down tsarina, so she becomes more manageable.
    Sure. But if you Grundy and then field Gobby you bypass it.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by cbone3 View Post
    Sure. But if you Grundy and then field Gobby you bypass it.
    This is true, but if there are multiple options, Grundy is only eliminating one.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by OddballNarwhal View Post
    I'd use the rare Wasp in this case. Two reasons: 1) she will chip away every time someone has to use the Pally Global to mitigate the bigger damage and 2) it'll clear the way to name this team "Gobby's Gal Pals".
    Iron fist allows you to ignore rare wasp as he reduces damage, cap America plus iron fist is a legitimate nightmare for direct damage teams, the human paladin fist combo is a close second but relies on saving enough shields to be useful.

  9. #9
    The team looks definitely looks solid, but I might suggest considering these cards:



    Super rare red dragon isn't necessary (whatever rarity you prefer if you opt to use it works, I just needed an image of something) but I've found when experimenting with big entrance aggro teams that having something to reduce that turn 1 action die purchase is incredibly helpful. When you only have 4 energy on turn 1, getting to spend a total of 2 instead of 3 on your entrance is definitely nice. This would also work nicely if you wanted to slot in a prismatic spray to deal with any burn counters like hulk, cap or iron fist, or even enemy constantines giving gobby problems.

    Human Torch is also an option if you want that extra damage and removal when re-fielded KO'd allies that you used to chump block, or KO'd gobbys that you fed to BEWD global.

    You could also consider the rare thousand dragon if you wanted to play millenium puzzle instead of grundy for removal.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    You could also consider the rare thousand dragon if you wanted to play millenium puzzle instead of grundy for removal.
    Puzzle is compelling because it has no fielding cost and sends characters to the used pile. Grundy is compelling because he swings in and can purchase Aunt May or pay for Resurrection's global if you whiff on the roll. I'm not sure which is better.

    Playing Red Dragon almost makes you go with Puzzle. My version typically plays turn 1 thusly:

    Roll four energy (including a wildcard or a shield). Resurrection to prep a die. Purchase Big Entrance. Next turn roll four sidekicks and Big Entrance.

    Adding Red Dragon makes this possible:

    Roll four energy (including the appropriate combo that gives me a bolt, a shield and a mask). Resurrection to prep a die. Red Dragon global. Purchase Big Entrance. On my opponent's turn, PXG. Next turn roll six sidekicks and Big Entrance. That's a HUGE upgrade. Even if I roll trash, I still have my old turn 1 (which is great) as a consolation.

    So what comes out to make room for the Dragon? I think it has to be Constantine.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by cbone3 View Post
    Puzzle is compelling because it has no fielding cost and sends characters to the used pile. Grundy is compelling because he swings in and can purchase Aunt May or pay for Resurrection's global if you whiff on the roll. I'm not sure which is better.

    Playing Red Dragon almost makes you go with Puzzle. My version typically plays turn 1 thusly:

    Roll four energy (including a wildcard or a shield). Resurrection to prep a die. Purchase Big Entrance. Next turn roll four sidekicks and Big Entrance.

    Adding Red Dragon makes this possible:

    Roll four energy (including the appropriate combo that gives me a bolt, a shield and a mask). Resurrection to prep a die. Red Dragon global. Purchase Big Entrance. On my opponent's turn, PXG. Next turn roll six sidekicks and Big Entrance. That's a HUGE upgrade. Even if I roll trash, I still have my old turn 1 (which is great) as a consolation.

    So what comes out to make room for the Dragon? I think it has to be Constantine.
    I'm almost thinking that as well, if only because your team is made to be fast and aggressive, so you really have to consider what kinds of "when fielded" effects or characters you may want to try and stop with constantine would be. Opposing Gobbys? Storms? I think it mainly comes down to what you think you are going to have to deal with at your locals and whether or not you'll need constantine or not. If lots of other people play with hellblazer or hulks, it may be worthwhile to add prismatic spray, so you can guarantee that your goblins can trigger their abilities. In that situation, Tsarina is also a valid choice to drop, especially because for a 3-cost, gobby already has some pretty beefy stats, topping out at a 1,5,5.

    Red dragons additional burn damage should also be able to help you close out the game. I can't even recount how many times I've won games after reducing someones life to 1 or about to swing with a near lethal shot, and simply buying an action die with red dragon global has ended it.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    I'm almost thinking that as well, if only because your team is made to be fast and aggressive, so you really have to consider what kinds of "when fielded" effects or characters you may want to try and stop with constantine would be. Opposing Gobbys? Storms? I think it mainly comes down to what you think you are going to have to deal with at your locals and whether or not you'll need constantine or not. If lots of other people play with hellblazer or hulks, it may be worthwhile to add prismatic spray, so you can guarantee that your goblins can trigger their abilities. In that situation, Tsarina is also a valid choice to drop, especially because for a 3-cost, gobby already has some pretty beefy stats, topping out at a 1,5,5.

    Red dragons additional burn damage should also be able to help you close out the game. I can't even recount how many times I've won games after reducing someones life to 1 or about to swing with a near lethal shot, and simply buying an action die with red dragon global has ended it.
    What you said here is what makes me see this team as one that can never be tier 1. You can't add Spray easily. That's because two slots are taken by adding allies. They have some fun utility and really help pump Gobby, but you sacrifice space for answers.

    On a more positive note, my son and I were goldfishing the team and we rerolled a sidekick. He shrugged and said, "This was a bad roll and it's still the same opening turn that the original version had." I then pointed out that it wasn't the same. Our opponent had taken one damage and we had a sidekick in the field. He said, "Wow, even when it's bad, it's better."

    This isn't a team I'd bring to a WKO, but I'd run it at a local OP event without hesitation.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by cbone3 View Post
    What you said here is what makes me see this team as one that can never be tier 1. You can't add Spray easily. That's because two slots are taken by adding allies. They have some fun utility and really help pump Gobby, but you sacrifice space for answers.

    On a more positive note, my son and I were goldfishing the team and we rerolled a sidekick. He shrugged and said, "This was a bad roll and it's still the same opening turn that the original version had." I then pointed out that it wasn't the same. Our opponent had taken one damage and we had a sidekick in the field. He said, "Wow, even when it's bad, it's better."

    This isn't a team I'd bring to a WKO, but I'd run it at a local OP event without hesitation.
    That's not a bad thing by any means of course. I'll fully admit that a lot of the teams I've been playing with lately have been "bad", but I'm finding them much more interesting and enjoyable than what the meta appears to be at the moment. I'm glad you and your son have been liking my suggestion lol.

    I've actually got a big entrance aggro team that I've been working on for a bit as well and I'll be running it tomorrow night, so I might have some more notes to share after the event.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •