Thread: Questions about Starfire SR

Questions about Starfire SR

I am well aware that somewhere on this or the official Wizkids Rules Forum, the question has been answered, but it's convoluted to search through because of so many questions about possible interactions, that finding just the basic reading of it can be difficult.

I have my own interpretation of it, but I'm not nearly 100% sure of it, so I wanted to ask:

Does Starfire count each individual TT die that is attacking, or just character (meaning if she attacked with 2 Ravens and 2 Beast Boys, would that be 2 or 4 damage?), and if so, when attacking, if there are 2 Starfires, would 1 trigger the other, so that there is 1 extra (or I guess 2) because of each Starfire triggering the other?

I feel like in regards to the second half of my question, it's a definite no, but I'm really not certain and want to hear from some people who are, and have read the official rules.

Appreciate any help - I know it's a basic question.

"Active" = unique character (not die)
    "Other" = not Starfire

"When attacks" = triggers for each attacking die.

Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post

"Other" = not Starfire

So you're saying that active means a unique character, not die, but the when attacks triggers for each attacking die. Not more clear at all, as that's what has me confused initially.

I understand that you're trying to just be helpful by showing the mechanics, but would you mind just giving me a straight up answer as well as the explanation?

Thanks.

You have 2 Starfires, 2 Beast Boys, and 3 Ravens fielded. Both Starfires attack, they both deal 2 damage to the opposing player because there are 2 other unique, non-Starfire Teen Titans.

Sorry.

"When X attacks" effects always trigger for each die of that character's that attacks. In this example, we'll say 2 Starfire dice attack.

"Each other" means Starfire does not count herself/other copies of Starfire. If it were meant to count Starfire dice, it would say "each active TT".

"Active TT" means unique character with the TT affiliation (and since the card doesn't specify, affiliation-based effects look at both sides of the table). So if you had 2 Ravens, 3 Beast Boys, and your opponent had a Wonder Girl, each Starfire die that attacked would deal 3 damage.

Does that answer the question?

"Other" = not Starfire

I was not aware Active meant unique character, not die. Is that in the rules somewhere to refer to? I would have counted every other die except Starfires in this case. I'm totally with you now but just wondering how you know this.

or this is like When Fielded/Active when you using abilities? you only count one character and not the number of dice.

Quote Originally Posted by koolkat67 View Post
    or this is like When Fielded/Active when you using abilities? you only count one character and not the number of dice.
    Yes. Well, that is to say it is like "While active" abilities. "When fielded" abilities trigger per die, though.

Anyway, see: http://wizkidseventsystem.com/bb/vie...&t=1636&p=4604

Quote Originally Posted by SlapsterMcFlash View Post
    You're my hero.
    I do what I can. Other users are correct above, though. If your opponent has any Teen Titans, they also count for this ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Tathic View Post
    Is there a ruling about counting both-sides?
    I always assumed that the standard is to only count your own dice/characters unless specifically mentioned. *confused
    This was the exact follow up question that I had. After Aquaman I just don't know what's up and what's down.

EDIT: And... I should always refresh before I post!

WAIT, I thought of another one, last one I swear...

If you have the 2 Starfires, 2 Beast Boys, and 2 Ravens, and your opponent has a Beast Boy active, would that Beast Boy count as a separate character for these purposes, since he's controlled by the other player? Meaning, would each attacking Starfire now do 2 or 3 damage? Thank you very much.

This was the exact follow up question that I had. After Aquaman I just don't know what's up and what's down.

If you have the 2 Starfires, 2 Beast Boys, and 2 Ravens, and your opponent has a Beast Boy active, would that Beast Boy count as a separate character for these purposes, since he's controlled by the other player? Meaning, would each attacking Starfire now do 2 or 3 damage? Thank you very much.
    oh good question. I think typically you wouldn't have the same character on both teams but good question...Im curious what the answer is.

Since Starfire's ability is looking at the entire game state of the board (i.e. both players) and is only considering a character's affiliation (Teen Titan) not a named character, it is only counting the occurrence of each distinct Teen Titan character fielded.

Example of Play:
    You have 2 Starfire, 2 Beast Boy and 3 Raven dice fielded and your opponent has 2 Beast Boy and 1 Wonder Girl dice fielded. Both Starfires attack and deal 3 damage apiece (for a total of 6) – since there are a total of three other Teen Titan characters active (you would not count Beast Boy twice, even if he were two different named characters, e.g. Gar and Changeling).

First point: What if I have the Common Beast Boy and my opponent has the Rare? Wouldn't those be different characters?

Also, consider that if both players have the same character with a While Active effect - it takes place twice (FAQ reference Dr. Doom). From this we can extrapolate that if both players have the exact same character fielded, they are considered different for game purposes.

I would say that when counting unique characters, yours and your opponents' are unique from each other (even if they are actually the same).

Also @Tathic - rule of thumb is that if a card/effect looks at a specific name, it only looks at your side. If it refers to energy type/affiliation, it looks at both players (unless the card specifies "yours" or "your opponent's".

Also @Tathic - rule of thumb is that if a card/effect looks at a specific name, it only looks at your side.
    Do you know of an example card that looks for a specific name?

Quote Originally Posted by koolkat67 View Post
    Do you know of an example card that looks for a specific name?

This is looking for a specific name (St Walker), so it only looks at your side of the table (if your opponent had St Walker active, it wouldn't do anything).

@pk2317 I agree with you, each Beast Boy would be counted, citing the following (in response to how Aquaman's ability works):

This effect applies to all Justice League affiliated characters, both yours and your opponent's. It is calling out an affiliation (not a specific character), so the following rules in the Rule Book, Tournament Rules section do not apply: “Card text that names a character only considers your characters for its effects. Your card’s text doesn’t trigger because your opponent has the same character, nor do your dice get a bonus from your opponent’s cards of the same name.”

Therefore, in my example above, each Starfire would deal 4 damage.

@koolkat - here are some examples:
    Robin // Batman
    Indigo-1 // Munk
    all the current Zombies (Electro, Gladiator, Magneto and Red Skull)

I disbelieve, that you count Beastboy Rare and Beastboy Uncommon as two different Characters. Beast Boy = Beast Boy. Or do i missed something in my mind that i should take note of?

Quote Originally Posted by Ressless View Post
    I disbelieve, that you count Beastboy Rare and Beastboy Uncommon as two different Characters. Beast Boy = Beast Boy. Or do i missed something in my mind that i should take note of?
    http://wizkids.com/dicemasters/dice-masters-faq/

Q: Please explain “While Active” effects.
    A: “While active” effects
    are static effects that are considered to be in play as long as that character is in the Field Zone (NOTE: the Attack Zone is considered a
    subset of the Field Zone—so “While active” effects are still active when a character is in the Attack Zone). These effects are not cumulative— i.e. the effects only occur once regardless of how many of that character is active in a player’s Field/Attack Zone (however, NOTE: if both players have the same character active, the effects will occur once for each player). As an example, Dr. Doom, Reed Richards’ Rival, modifies the Attack and Defense of all non-villain characters while he is active. This effect would only occur
    once regardless of how many Dr. Doom dice a player has active, but would occur twice if two players had a Doctor Doom, Reed Richards’ Rival, active.
    Even the exact same character, when active on both sides, is considered different (and the effect takes place twice).

I agree with @Randy .

It is clear from several rulings, going right back to the Silver Surfer Global entry in the FAQ, that even if you and your opponent bring the exact same version of a character (or action), they are considered to be unique for the purposes of all game effects.

Considering how you can use 'once per turn' globals when you both have the same card, I'd guess he counts as a separate character as well.

It seems the consensus is that an if I and my opponent both have a beast boy, they each qualify as a unique Teen Titan and therefor each one would stack for Starfire's "when attacks" damage. My Starfire doesn't count herself, but would an opposing starfire add to my attacking starfire's damage? Based on all other conversation here, I'd guess yes.