Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vote/Poll Threads

Vote/Poll Threads

Considering WK takes long to rule/reply and a lot of questions depend on majority decisions, would it be useful to have Threads with the ability to set up polls? I was on a forum a while back where anyone starting a thread could set up a quick little vote for a question they had. Maybe the ability exists here and I dont know how to you use it?

Sometimes I have a question and the discussion runs a couple of pages with many posts (sometimes people change their minds) and in the end it is not easy to still see what the majority is. And not everyone posts to know their decision on a topic but people might do a quick little checkbox if they had the option.

thoughts?

I'm not so sure this would be a good idea.

At least not in the Rules forum.

'Majority vote' is not a good basis on which to make rules judgements.

Despite what WizKids put in their rulings guidance.

I vote that the WizKids ruling guidelines are invalid.

#democracy

I vote that the WizKids ruling guidelines are not for us to use to figure out how cards work. they should only be used by local TO's and judges to settle disputes peacefully.

DO we have a third against the topic itself?

Quote Originally Posted by SarkhanMad View Post
    I vote that the WizKids ruling guidelines are not for us to use to figure out how cards work. they should only be used by local TO's and judges to settle disputes peacefully.
    I second that motion.

Quote Originally Posted by SarkhanMad View Post
    So what about the rule with the weaker ruling being correct? In most situations where it would even come up requires both players having triggers and so its weaker for one player and stronger for another. It's just a terrible ruling imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Scum View Post
    So what about the rule with the weaker ruling being correct? In most situations where it would even come up requires both players having triggers and so its weaker for one player and stronger for another. It's just a terrible ruling imo.
    It's not a ruling it's a guideline.

And I think you misunderstand it.

It's not for resolving a dispute where two players' effects clash.

It's for deciding which interpretation of an isolated card effect or interaction should be used when it is not clear from the rules, prior rulings, and/or Judge's knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    It's for deciding which interpretation of an isolated card effect or interaction should be used when it is not clear from the rules, prior rulings, and/or Judge's knowledge.
    But the outcome of a lot of effects aren't static. As a clear example of what I mean is Lantern Ring - Limited Only By Imagination. If the question comes up and you go with the weaker ruling every time that means the card's effect would have to change throughout the course of the game. Even as a guideline it's not a good one.

Edit: Corrected card name for example.

But the outcome of a lot of effects aren't static. As a clear example of what I mean is Lantern Ring - Limited Only By Imagination.
    How so?

You can create a poll here. But I agree with others as to their relative usefulness.

Sorry koolkat, the motion was shot down. Personally, I am with Dave on this. Start the thread/polls if you want, and go from there.

How so?
    There are 3 ways to read the card. One results in x damage total (one per energy per character), one results in 1 per energy type, and one results in 1 per character. The strength of the second and third readings fluctuate based on whats in the reserve and whats attacking. There are instances where either can be stronger than the other.

There are 3 ways to read the card. One results in x damage total (one per energy per character), one results in 1 per energy type, and one results in 1 per character. The strength of the second and third readings fluctuate based on whats in the reserve and whats attacking. There are instances where either can be stronger than the other.
    So, rather than looking at specific circumstances in a specific game, one looks at the overall, or average, outcome of each interpretation.

The voting idea was voted out? lol. well anywho, this was just a fun idea as an add-on tool I've seen on other forums. you can use it for anything just for fun. Like Soft sleeves or hard sleeves? Do you make your own Storage box? Do you think you should be able to refill your bag for a Search? It's just a little checkbox at the top of the thread IF you decide to use it that everyone can see quickly rather than reading many pages to see what MOST people think.

The outcome doesn't mean its now LAW. Take what you want from the results. It was just another way to add information to the threads.

Wizkids DM team. If they aren't ruling it then it's majority vote.
    This is a reply I've seen on my posts is the reason why I said it in the first place but you can use for or anything OR NOT USE IT. It's a just way to see what most people think of a situation that is waiting on a ruling from WK.

No biggy, it was just a thought.

So, rather than looking at specific circumstances in a specific game, one looks at the overall, or average, outcome of each interpretation.
    Which would also require calculating average die rolls over the course of many games. I'm not convinced it should be on the TOs to do the work WizKids should be doing.

I'm not sure I follow how the rare lantern ring can be interpreted in 3 different ways. Especially when you go through the logic gates.
    1.) Is the ring active?
    2.) Did a character or characters attack?
    3.) If (2) is true, than each character deals 1 damage times X.
    i. X being the amount of energy symbols in the reserve pool that match the attacker's type
    ii. Double symbols count as two.

I have heard of the ring being discussed elsewhere in the forums (and probably even threw my 2 cents in), but don't remember how those threads resolved. I will search for it in the mean time.

Quote Originally Posted by bahamut7 View Post
    I'm not sure I follow how the rare lantern ring can be interpreted in 3 different ways. Especially when you go through the logic gates.
    1.) Is the ring active?
    2.) Did a character or characters attack?
    i. X being the amount of energy symbols in the reserve pool that match the attacker's type
    ii. Double symbols count as two.

I have heard of the ring being discussed elsewhere in the forums (and probably even threw my 2 cents in), but don't remember how those threads resolved. I will search for it in the mean time.
    I agree with your reading and I don't exactly grasp how the other readings work either, but people make those arguments so I guess it's possible to read the card those ways.

Which would also require calculating average die rolls over the course of many games. I'm not convinced it should be on the TOs to do the work WizKids should be doing.
    No, it doesn't.

The minimum and maximum amounts of damage you can do are fairly trivial to estimate (or even work out exactly).

And it's pretty self evident that the distribution of possible amounts of damage will be pretty much, if not exactly, a bell curve.

So the average is simply the midpoint between the minima and maxima.

I agree with your reading and I don't exactly grasp how the other readings work either, but people make those arguments so I guess it's possible to read the card those ways.
    It happens. I can recall a few times, I could have sworn the card could be read a different way and than ding, it finally would click.

Quote Originally Posted by bahamut7 View Post
    This is where the ambiguity and disagreement lays.

It may be 1 damage times X.
    It may be 1 damage times Y.
    Or it may be Y damage times X.

Once you have settled on one of those interpretations it can be difficult to see how it could be read in any other way.

But that does not mean those other interpretations are not valid.

It just means that you're not able to reambiguate the ambiguity that you have disambiguated.

If only we could see what most people thought. lol. but seriously can you guys move this part of about specifics on the Lantern card to another post? thanks

This is where the ambiguity and disagreement lays.

It may be 1 damage times X.
    It may be 1 damage times Y.
    Or it may be Y damage times X.

Once you have settled on one of those interpretations it can be difficult to see how it could be read in any other way.

But that does not mean those other interpretations are not valid.

It just means that you're not able to reambiguate the ambiguity that you have disambiguated.
    V from Vendetta would be proud. This is not to devalue your opinion, it is just merely a movie reference that made me chuckle because of how you were able to use ambiguous's different versions together.

As for the matter at hand, the best we can do is merely play the way our local meta agrees upon until wizkids decides to do their jobs. Honestly, I find the ability only really powerful when you take the risk for it and use swarm. Normal games where you don't have massive dice amounts, you may only have 2 or 3 energy leftover and may still want to buy at that point.

majority... weaker... stronger...
    It's ok if they contradict each other.
    As I said earlier, it's just WK's saying:
    "Here you go have FLGS judge! If your taking the time and effort to do 'our' job, and players are giving you fits about how your doing it, use one of these general rulings to settle it and move on. We got ya covered!"