Thread: Osprey's Jocasta Villains

Osprey's Jocasta Villains

I'm sorry I have failed in my endeavors to create a catchy name for this team, it's late and I couldn't think of anything. In fact, it's late enough to where I'm just gonna link to the team on Retrobox and maybe copy paste the list on here, just without pictures.

Here is the team

Jocasta: Patterned after Janet
    Toad: Mortimer Toynbee
    Mr. Sinister: Nasty Boy
    Doctor Doom: Victor
    Lyssa Drak: Future Sight
    Blue-eyes white dragon: Monstrous Dragon
    Red Dragon: Epic Dragon
    Professor X: Recruiting young mutants

The Outsider
    Polymorph

This list took 1st place tonight going undefeated in 4 rounds at locals. The obvious goal is to use the outsider to put jocasta on the board turn 3, and then follow up with characters like Toad, Lyssa Drak and possibly Mr. Sinister. Mr. Sinister global is simple and effective, 2 energy to do 3 damage to an opposing character and 3 damage to your opponent provided you target Jocasta. Toad rare provided spot removal, forced floodgate characters like Loki to attack and be unblocked, and forced big characters to attack into Jocasta. Lyssa Drak was an added layer of control and mask generation for PXG, and doctor doom gave me an alternate win condition if my opponent had an established board, thanks to the outsider. BEWD and Red dragon were fixers, getting me what I needed while maintaining ramp, and pxg gave me the energy required to purchase what I needed and pay for sinister global.

The outsider is my favourite BAC in the game for being so awesome, and polymorph provided removal and the option to level mod if I needed to, as well as guarantee that toad was on his burst face. You can also use it to buff opposing characters by spinning your own down, taking them off of burst faces or pumping them up for when they swing into jocasta.

Overall, I'm very happy with how the list performed. It's gimmicky (like everything I'm playing these days for the sake of having some fun) but it definitely works and it's quite consistent, but it's susceptible to removal or control from cards like spray or puzzle. Contrary to popular belief, captain america is not a good enough counter to burn lists. Especially when toad ko's him.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Lately I've just been picking ideas out of a hat for teams because I love villains so much. This team was a ton of fun, so I'll probably revisit it at some point in the future. I was meaning to play a big entrance aggro list tonight, but I heard a couple of other people planning similar aggro lists a few days before, so I decided to play something different. One thing I can say for sure, this team hates relentless. I took 12 to the face from my old pal weapon ten, kind of hurt a bit given our history together. But what can you do.

(Also, just want to quickly point out that playing the super rare red dragon has no strategic advantage over any other rarity in this list, I just like the look of the red stripe)

Really loved playing against this list, it was so different from anything I had faced before. Having only been playing for less than a month some of these off the wall teams really throw me for a loop, but I think that's what I really enjoy about this game.

I keep going over our last game in my head and the more I think about I really did just need to buy prismatic spray on turn one instead of polymorph and it would have been a totally different game.

For others interested I came in second place and my list was. (I have no idea how to link teams yet so I'm just going to type out the names for you guys)

Blue-eyes white dragon: Monstrous Dragon
    Wasp: Founding Avenger
    Prismatic Spray: Lesser Spell
    Doomcaliber Knight: Fiendish Fighter
    Wolverine: Formerly Weapon Ten
    Human Torch: Johnny Storm
    Hulk: Green Goliath
    Kobold: Greater Humanoid

Relentless
    Polymorph

After playing vs others using Red Dragon I definitely plan to test the deck using it instead of Blue-Eyes White Dragon. The extra damage pings coupled with the ability to squeeze in a Prismatic spray buy faster just seemed really useful.

If anyone has any thoughts or ideas on my list as well I welcome the help. I've been doing a ton of playtesting vs myself and research to become as competitive a player as possible over my first few weeks but I'm sure I still have a lot to learn.

Thanks for the great tournament/game last night Osprey.

have you ever thought of coordinated strike?

Quote Originally Posted by joshaber View Post
    have you ever thought of coordinated strike?
    I haven't, but this list doesn't really want to be buying anything that isn't the outsider/villain, because it reduces the consistency of the outsider pulling dice on to the field. I think sinister global does the job quite well, even for it's cost.

@Osprey : I really like this list, but 1) I don't have BEWD and 2) I'd like to have a little more protection against direct damage/burn. Would you recommend maybe Human Paladin or Mera (for the global) or zMags?

Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    @Osprey : I really like this list, but 1) I don't have BEWD and 2) I'd like to have a little more protection against direct damage/burn. Would you recommend maybe Human Paladin or Mera (for the global) or zMags?
    BEWD isn't entirely necessary for this list, it's mostly just a fixer for sidekicks and it makes grabbing toad/jocasta slightly less awkward, so it is definitely possible to play without it. protection from burn is where it get's a little tricky. You have to be very careful with what you bring so it doesn't break interactions with The Outsider BAC, and will probably want to buy a polymorph to put it on the board.

I wouldn't recommend human paladin, because it's global is now known to be very effective against Jocasta because (for whatever reason) she is not a redirect. They will be attacking into Jocasta because of toad, and she is a great deterrent to attacking with others, so mera might not be needed.

For anti-burn, I would probably recommend Captain America: Super Soldier or Iron Fist: The Immortal. Zombie Magneto would be a great counter to burn, but you have to be wary of the 6 purchase cost when you do not have BEWD. The same can be said about Doctor Doom of course, but the drawback there is offset a bit by being able to drop him on demand with The outsider BAC.

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    and doctor doom gave me an alternate win condition if my opponent had an established board, thanks to the outsider.
    Ok. So any particular reason why you would need to use Outsider BAC to put Doctor Doom into play? It is a random draw from the bag so chances are good of drawing another die. Or is there some combo I am not seeing? The BAC does actually say the die is fielded, so is it some safety plan should your opponent get a lock on you?

Quote Originally Posted by Diceman View Post
    Ok. So any particular reason why you would need to use Outsider BAC to put Doctor Doom into play? It is a random draw from the bag so chances are good of drawing another die. Or is there some combo I am not seeing? The BAC does actually say the die is fielded, so is it some safety plan should your opponent get a lock on you?
    This comes down to how well you can manage your ramp. If you're only buying what you need and managing your pxg use as well as sidekicks on board, you can often play with an empty bag. If your used pile is managed properly too, you can buy doom (putting the die in used), play the outsider, refilling the bag so you can draw, and guarantee yourself a level 2 doctor doom and a bomb.

Outsider is a monster of a card on a villain team. It not only can get heavy hitters out on a Lvl 2 face for free, it also helps keep sidekicks out of your bag while prepping itself to be used next turn.

Quote Originally Posted by IgwanaRob View Post
    Outsider is a monster of a card on a villain team. It not only can get heavy hitters out on a Lvl 2 face for free, it also helps keep sidekicks out of your bag while prepping itself to be used next turn.
    Best BAC in the game? Nope.

Arguably the strongest, I would say so. It's a big boost for a niche that can't be used to widen the gap between the top and lower tiers. (Unless Wizkids decides to destroy something beautiful)

Definitely my personal favourite.

Is there anything you've seen coming up in ASM that you'd consider adding to this team?

Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    Is there anything you've seen coming up in ASM that you'd consider adding to this team?
    I think it's too early to say for sure. Without the full set spoiler, I'm ahooting in the dark with those predictions, because there could be a perfect counter to the addition within the set that we haven't seen yet. If I had to pick something though, possibly the rare doctor octopus or one of the versions of Kingpin. Either could find a slot in here once I renew and update the list for Amazing Spider Man, but who's to say.