Thread: Rare Warth + Heroic??

Rare Warth + Heroic??

Hey all,

I started DM with UXM because I'm a big fan of x-men, and I really wanted to make the heroic effect work well.

The heroic effects all activate when fielded, granting some sort of boost or effect for your other heroic characters that can be paired up. For example, the Rare Captain America reads "When paired, both gain +4A +4D"

Would the Rare Warth effect of gaining a "when fielded" affect any heroic characters? That is to say, would Warth suddenly gain a Heroic power and be able to pair with other heroics??

Warth's ability lets you trigger the character's ability - he doesn't gain anything. He would allow you to trigger one of the Heroic character's abilities to re-pair them with other Heroic characters.

There is a lot of debate over this.

Warth can either be read as him gaining the when fielded ability of another character, or has him simply causing another character to use their when fielded ability again.

Anyway, for some discussion about the interaction between Warth and Herioc look up the The Prep Area podcast episode called "Red, Warth, and Blue".

there was a team built using warth, angle, and cap. it worked well.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    There is a lot of debate over this.

Warth can either be read as him gaining the when fielded ability of another character, or has him simply causing another character to use their when fielded ability again.

Anyway, for some discussion about the interaction between Warth and Herioc look up the The Prep Area podcast episode called "Red, Warth, and Blue".
    What was their call? Did Warth use the ability or did he recharge of the heroics? I know we are all waiting for wizkids to actually answer this one, but people in my area would like an idea of where everyone is leaning towards in the mean time. And i can't make a judgement call because they are too many times where it is crucial whether or not Warth does the ability or the original character.

My take is that the most reasonable reading of the card is that Warth re-triggers another character's fielding, without that character having to leave the field in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    My take is that the most reasonable reading of the card is that Warth re-triggers another character's fielding, without that character having to leave the field in the meantime.
    Thematically, I agree, mechanically I see it going either way.

Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    That's the way I am leaning too.

Which is not the way it was used in the Warth-Heroic team on the podcast (though I got quite confused about which way they were using when I listened).

That's the way I am leaning too.

Which is not the way it was used in the Warth-Heroic team on the podcast (though I got quite confused about which way they were using when I listened).
    We also used it as Warth triggered another characters ability for them. In essence, the trigger for a when fielded effect is Fielding that character. Watch, instead, triggers the effect with his Fielding, but otherwise the effect resolves as normal, with the die whose text is being targeted, gaining the benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    We also used it as Warth triggered another characters ability for them. In essence, the trigger for a when fielded effect is Fielding that character. Watch, instead, triggers the effect with his Fielding, but otherwise the effect resolves as normal, with the die whose text is being targeted, gaining the benefit.
    Thanks, @Shadowmeld .

I definitely got confused about how you were using him them.

I thought there was some discussion, in the podcast, about how he gains the when the fielded part of the heroic character's ability, but not the when paired part.

Did I misunderstand that discussion?

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries
    Thanks, @Shadowmeld .

I definitely got confused about how you were using him them.

I thought there was some discussion, in the podcast, about how he gains the when the fielded part of the heroic character's ability, but not the when paired part.

Did I misunderstand that discussion?
    There were definitely discussions about that. Can't recall if it was in the podcast or not. Shadow and I tested a version of the team under the assumption Warth could assume another ability and it was way over powered. Plus 8/8 to two characters at any point is just absurd.

In case nobody wants to read the link, No Warth does not retrigger Heroic.

he confusion occurred because no one was sure whether Warth was using the "when fielded" ability or the die the ability belong to. This is why either (a) Warth could pair up with a heroic or (b) Warth could retrigger a Heroic character to reuse their ability. Fortunately, they actually clarified that Warth uses the ability AND because Heroic is keyword ability (meaning only characters that have Heroic in their text) Warth cannot recharge it. It's a when fielded ability yes, but that is merely the condition for the keyword Heroic.

(Slightly off topic sorry)
    Bahamat7 you should have included the joker example for warth as well. The other question still up in the air is if warth's ability would replace all instances of another cards name with its name or if it would still be the original card text.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormyknight View Post
    (Slightly off topic sorry)
    Bahamat7 you should have included the joker example for warth as well. The other question still up in the air is if warth's ability would replace all instances of another cards name with its name or if it would still be the original card text.
    Dangit! You are right! Though, using their ruling that Warth is indeed the one doing the ability identical to the card text of the original, I would say it's safe to assume that Warth could act as a second Joker or Loki. Though I will reply to my topic and see if they will answer that to make sure.

Quote Originally Posted by bahamut7 View Post
    Dangit! You are right! Though, using their ruling that Warth is indeed the one doing the ability identical to the card text of the original, I would say it's safe to assume that Warth could act as a second Joker or Loki. Though I will reply to my topic and see if they will answer that to make sure.
    Same with op Apocalypse.

I submitted a reply to the topic, so we will see if lightning strikes twice.