Thread: Don't call it a comeback....

Don't call it a comeback....

Nova bomb has always appealed to me, but for a long time it just wasn't viable enough on it's own. Now I think that might have changed. Here's my current competitive team. I haven't played with it yet, but I've played with a lot of similar teams, and this is the most current iteration. Thoughts and comments are welcome and encouraged.

Basic Actions
    Big Entrance - This card is just bananas. It speeds up the whole team by at least a turn.

Resurrection - Just for it's global. With the right roll it will guarantee you get big entrance on turn 2.

The Core of the team

Nova - Human Rocket - The backbone of the team, he's just crazy powerful, and easy to abuse.

Iceman - Too Cool For Words - Pretty standard part of the combo, get rocket out, turn all sidekicks to bolts, ping nova a bunch, rinse repeat.

Lantern Ring - Limited Only By Imagination - The way my local Judge (Fun4Willis) ruled this (until WizKids gets off their asses) is that no matter how many characters you have out, you can only deal the damage from each energy symbol once, but that's still REALLY good for this team, so this is a must buy, and is usually my turn 2, so it's out turn 3 in time to get silly

Slifer, the Sky Dragon - lightening Blast - The global here replaces Magic missile as a way to ping Nova.

The Rest of the Team

PXG - because reasons

Storm - Wind Rider - Removal if necessary, and can also deal a ton of damage if needed.

Green Goblin - Gobby - He's cheap, has lightening bolts, is a great body for his cost, and is a nice alternate win con.

Beast - Genetic Expert / Mutate 666 - I keep bouncing back and forth on this one. Admittedly I haven't actually bought a beast in game in a long time, but he is a nice cheap blocker, and both of his abilities are very good, so which one is better? I dunno. I'm leaning towards Genetic Expert, but extra dice wins games. Thoughts?

So there it is, what do you guys think? I haven't been very active on the forums in months, and I haven't even paid much attention to the game in general in a long time, so there are a TON of new cards that I'm unfamiliar with, so if there is something else better out there, please let me know.

Cheers

It's a nice team. I will give a few thoughts and than demonstrate how I would counter it, so that you can use that information to your advantage.

First off, Beast - Genetic Expert is my favorite of the 2 (even though I don't own him). He deters attacking and keeps your opponent defensive (which is a win in itself). Gobby is fine, especially because he is more of icing on the cake and can be used for a rushed attack. I prefer Kobold swarm over PXG, but he is just as good.

Now, what you need to watch out for. Wasp Rare. I would use her immediately (if not with Jinzo). This would slow down your pinging quite a bit. Granted that is why you have wind-rider, but Wasp will be out first. I would also throw in Iron Fist and Captain America - Super Soldier. This would completely nerf Gobby, the lantern ring, and Nova. And as backup, I would probably bring in the Human Paladin as Wind-rider can't stop his global. Granted these are while active abilities, so you could deal a fair amount of damage before they are all fielded.

Your team is still effective, but you need to have your buy order figured out to deal with these conditions. Also, Slifer's global can be used to kill off beast dice and Nova before the attack step and their abilities wouldn't trigger. So you may want to consider global protection yourself. Of course, there is no guarantee anyone will be running these characters together all at once.

Quote Originally Posted by fitopineda View Post
    like your team.. like the idea around nova.. dont like storm but its ok... i use slifer too to replace one of the best action cards of all the times ( magic missile)
    Just got mine today. Such freedom!

I tried Slifer, but the person I play test with has a Promo Iron Fist, which shuts slifer down, and without slifer or magic missle the team becomes MUCH less deadly/reliable.

I recently tried switching Storm out for the rare Shield ageants, and they seam better. Nice cheap bolt, and my understanding of their ability is you can force your opponent to reroll their evengers, so that's kinda win/win.

Right now the team is -
    Magic Missle
    Resuerection
    Nova - Human rocket
    Hulk - Jade Giant
    Iceman - Too Cool For Words
    Lantern Ring - Limited Only By Imagination
    Beast - Genetic Expert
    Shield Ageant - Need to know basis
    PXG
    Constantine - Hellblazer

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Mongooli View Post
    I tried Slifer, but the person I play test with has a Promo Iron Fist, which shuts slifer down, and without slifer or magic missle the team becomes MUCH less deadly/reliable.
    I never realized Iron Fist could do that...fortunately, no one really has made him a staple on their team yet in my local.

"While Iron Fist is active, reduce damage from opposing character's abilities by 1. When Iron Fist is KO'd, you may move a (fist)die with a purchasing cost of 5 or more from your used pile to your prep area." Eitehr of these would be good on a 2 cost character, but both of them is just silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongooli View Post
    "While Iron Fist is active, reduce damage from opposing character's abilities by 1. When Iron Fist is KO'd, you may move a (fist)die with a purchasing cost of 5 or more from your used pile to your prep area." Eitehr of these would be good on a 2 cost character, but both of them is just silly.
    Well, that is why he was a promo card from a particular OP set.

In what way were they using Iron Fist to "shut slifer down"?

Oh... Actually... The penny has just dropped!

Wow. I'd not thought of Iron Fist's first ability that way!

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    Oh... Actually... The penny has just dropped!

Wow. I'd not thought of Iron Fist's first ability that way!
    I know, right?

Quote Originally Posted by bahamut7 View Post
    I know, right?
    iron fist is suddenly useful.

Quote Originally Posted by joshaber View Post
    iron fist is suddenly useful.
    He wasn't before? lol

Quote Originally Posted by bahamut7 View Post
    He wasn't before? lol
    Good thing Canada has gotten the Rainbow Draft Weekend Event so we can play with the same stuff as everyone else!

Ohhhhh... Never mind...

We'll always have canucklehead...

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    Good thing Canada has gotten the Rainbow Draft Weekend Event so we can play with the same stuff as everyone else!

Ohhhhh... Never mind...

I love Canucklehead, first SR I ever got too.

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post

Ohhhhh... Never mind...

My buddy had to go to south Michigan to play and get his. Twice.