Thread: New iOS Dice Masters App: Sidekick for Dice Masters

New iOS Dice Masters App: Sidekick for Dice Masters

Hello fellow Reserve Pool members! I am announcing my new iOS Dice Masters app that was just approved:

Sidekick for Dice Masters!

FEATURES

- Up to date catalog with all current sets
    - Collection management
    - Wish Lists and Trade Lists
    - Team building
    - Comprehensive search
    - Life tracker
    - Simple, Sleek User Interface for Ease of Use
    - Cloud Backup of Collection and Teams.

It is currently iPhone only; I plan on adding iPad support soon.

I'm maintaining all of the data online in a database in order to be able to quickly update the data as new sets are released, so there is no waiting through Apple's approval process to just update the data.

If you create an account (not required), your teams and collection will be synced with my database so you won't lose that data.

If you have any feedback or bug reports, you can contact me at aschuetterapps@gmail.com.

The app costs $0.99. I wasn't able to make it free due to my backend costs and Apple Developer fees. For the cost of a single Dice Masters booster, you are getting a great app.

Here are some promo codes, please reply with the code you used so I can cross these off as they are used:
    KMKL6YKMTMF4
    MYWNX4XRTP6A
    6TJ6YJWY7YAM
    KJ3PR6R79XNE
    Last edited by aschuetter; 11-02-2015 at 02:30 PM.

I used code 6TJ6YJWY7YAM. I'll be sure to give a rating after I've had time to adequately use the app. Thank you very much!

FANTASTIC! Just what we needed. Here's to hoping you keep it up to date! With all labors of love I know that's the hardest part. But you're off to a great start!

Thanke! Used MYWNX4XRTP6A, can't wait to use this app!!

Shame, someone used the code KMKL6YKMTMF4 and didn't post to let anyone know. Got my hopes up for a moment there. Oh well, no app for me.

Is this app working for anyone else? It worked for me the first night. Ever since then when I open it I just stare at a screen that says "Loading Data...". I'm running this on a brand new 6S. Everything else is running amazing.

Well, that's not good. Try reinstalling the app (if you created an account your data should be backed up). Email me if that doesn't work. Aschuetterapps@gmail.com.

You gotta restart your phone, I've had issues with other apps the same way, I have a feeling that they are going to roll out an iOS update to fix it at some point but that should work temporarily.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    Is this app working for anyone else? It worked for me the first night. Ever since then when I open it I just stare at a screen that says "Loading Data...". I'm running this on a brand new 6S. Everything else is running amazing.
    Reinstalling worked. Restarting did not.

I enjoyed this app the first night I used it. There are some great things here and a lot of potential.

The good:

• It's easy to use. The functionality is intuitive.
    • The catalog is well designed making cards easy to find.
    • The two player life counter is a nice feature.

Potential for improvement:

• Card images would be cool. I know others have mentioned this either here or on redit, but I'll mention it again to show support. This isn't going to make or break the app though. It adds another layer to keep up with when updating, so if it's going to make that too cumbersome I'd rather keep it as is.
    • The life counter makes my screen look dirty. I assume this was intentional. It would look much nicer with a clean graphic.
    • When I put my cursor in one of the search fields to type, it would be nice if the "return" button would change to "search" so that when I press it the search begins. I know some apps do this, but not being an app developer I do not claim to understand how realistic this request is.

The bad:

• The first thing I did with the app was to create a team. After exploring the app for a little while I liked it so I created an account. Creating the account deleted the teams I had already saved! I realize this should only be a one time occurrence but it was very disappointing.
    • It appears WoL is missing entirely from the search function. Every search I've attempted comes up with accurate results minus the WoL cards. (examples: 2 cost mask omits Lyssa Drak, 2 cost shield omits Wonder Girl, a search for Teen Titans comes up blank).

Overall this is a great and welcome addition that fills a void. Thank you for the time and effort you've taken to create this. Please take my comments above as constructive criticism, in no way meant to diminish or belittle your hard work. If the app remains unchanged (but kept up to date with new releases) it will still be an asset to Dice Masters players.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    Reinstalling worked. Restarting did not.

I enjoyed this app the first night I used it. There are some great things here and a lot of potential.

The good:

• It's easy to use. The functionality is intuitive.
    • The catalog is well designed making cards easy to find.
    • The two player life counter is a nice feature.

Potential for improvement:

• Card images would be cool. I know others have mentioned this either here or on redit, but I'll mention it again to show support. This isn't going to make or break the app though. It adds another layer to keep up with when updating, so if it's going to make that too cumbersome I'd rather keep it as is.
    • The life counter makes my screen look dirty. I assume this was intentional. It would look much nicer with a clean graphic.
    • When I put my cursor in one of the search fields to type, it would be nice if the "return" button would change to "search" so that when I press it the search begins. I know some apps do this, but not being an app developer I do not claim to understand how realistic this request is.

The bad:

• The first thing I did with the app was to create a team. After exploring the app for a little while I liked it so I created an account. Creating the account deleted the teams I had already saved! I realize this should only be a one time occurrence but it was very disappointing.
    • It appears WoL is missing entirely from the search function. Every search I've attempted comes up with accurate results minus the WoL cards. (examples: 2 cost mask omits Lyssa Drak, 2 cost shield omits Wonder Girl, a search for Teen Titans comes up blank).

Overall this is a great and welcome addition that fills a void. Thank you for the time and effort you've taken to create this. Please take my comments above as constructive criticism, in no way meant to diminish or belittle your hard work. If the app remains unchanged (but kept up to date with new releases) it will still be an asset to Dice Masters players.
    Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it.

Improvements:
    Card images would indeed be nice. It might be a while before I can figure out something that works for those that won't overwhelm my back end, and my maintenance.

I would like to implement multiple themes for the life counter, so hopefully I can address this.

Regarding the search button, I'm pretty sure I can add that. I'll try to get it in the next release, which shouldn't be too far out.

The Bad:
    I'm really sorry about losing the teams and collection. Ideally, this wouldn't happen, but I was having difficulty implementing the transfer due to a bug in the APIs I'm using. Hopefully that bug will get fixed soon so this doesn't happen in the future. I meant to add a message to notify the user that this would happen if they didn't create an account right away, but it must have slipped my mind.

The WoL search issue should be resolved next time you open the app. When I was entering the data for WoL all the energy types autocapitalized, which was causing this issue.

Thanks again for the feedback!
    Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by aschuetter View Post
    The WoL search issue should be resolved next time you open the app. When I was entering the data for WoL all the energy types autocapitalized, which was causing this issue.
    Thank you. The search is working great now. I REALLY appreciate the amazing turn around time fixing the only real "big" issue I found using this app.

I've tried to leave you a review in the iTunes store but it's giving me an error message and won't let me. I've opened a ticket with Apple and will leave one as soon as they fix the problem.

Attachment 3948

Happy Amazing Spider-Man week!

I just finished adding the complete Amazing Spider-Man set. The updated data will download automagically the next time you open the app. I haven't added the chase zombies yet, since I haven't seen anything confirming them yet. Once I see confirmation that they exist, I will add them.

I also submitted an update fixing a few bugs and a few small enhancements, including the ability to search by collection status. Apple usually takes a week to approve updates, so expect to see that sometime next week.

Thanks,
    Aaron
    Last edited by aschuetter; 11-17-2015 at 09:53 AM.

Apple approved the update much quicker than I expected.

Here is an overview of the changes. Nothing earth-shattering, yet.

Added ability to search by collection status.
    Added full catalog view.
    Added collection number to cards.
    Added set abbreviation to Team Export view (and a few other places where specifying the set seemed useful).

Fixed bug where creating a team and collection without registering, then registering, causes the app to hang when it is opened. (If you are experiencing this, you will need to uninstall and reinstall the app to fix it, sorry!)
    Fixed bug where the character selection drawer didn't update when moving from search to catalog.
    Fixed bug where "Wolverine - Wanted" did not display in the Marvel Promo set. (This would have eventually affected other cards.)
    Removed number of dice option when adding a basic action to a team, because that didn't make any sense.

Enjoy!

Be sure to contact me at aschuetterapps@gmail.com with any feedback or bug reports. Thanks!