Thread: White Tiger Global and Captain America Sentinel of Liberty

White Tiger Global and Captain America Sentinel of Liberty

Pretty simple question but I'm having trouble figuring out if this is the way it works...

So white tiger says you and your opponent must field a sidekick from used, and captain America says your opponent must pay 1 energy to field a sidekick. Of captain America is active and you use white tiger global, does your opponent have to pay 1 energy if they want to field a sidekick with white tiger global?

Could you quote the card texts involved please.

It's hard to be sure what the definitive answer should be without them.

But, I think the answer is:

No.

You cannot force a player to pay a cost.

Your opponent can either not field a Sidekick, or pay 1 to field one. It's their choice. You can't force it.

[quote]Global: Pay . Once during your turn, each player must field a Sidekick Die from their Used Pile if able.

Captain America
    "
    While Captain America is active, your Sidekick characters get +2A, and your opponent's Sidekick characters cost 1 extra energy to field.
    "

White Tiger
    "... Pay Fist: Once during your turn, each player must field a sidekick from their Used Pile of able."

The main reason I'm asking is does this while active ability apply to this global, if they choose not to pay 1 do they not get a sidekick? My guess is if they want one they have to pay. Obviously I can't force them to pay but I'm more interested in making this global almost one sided.

Ok, thanks.

As @pk2317 said, they can choose to pay the 1 energy to field a Sidekick, but if they don't want to they don't have to (and, for clarity, they won't get to field a Sidekick from a use of that global if they choose not to pay the energy).

Ok thanks, just wanted to clarify that Caps ability applied to the global too. Figured it would.

Since the Global says "field a Sidekick" and not "move a Sidekick", and Cap also specifies "fielding a Sidekick", it applies.

Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    Your opponent can either not field a Sidekick, or pay 1 to field one. It's their choice. You can't force it.
    Curious how you know you can't force someone to pay if they have an energy available to pay? Is it in the rules somewhere?

@koolkat67 - Here you go, from the WK Rules Forum:

http://www.wizkidseventsystem.com/bb...hp?f=10&t=1647

Kitty Pryde forced attack combo (7Nov2014)
    Q: On my opponent’s turn I pay 1 mask to activate this global. Next I pay 1 mask to activate the global on Mr. Fantastic - Brilliant Scientist on the same target character: "Target character must attack this turn."
    Is my opponent forced to pay 1 life and attack? Can my opponent be forced to pay a cost?
    If not, if I were to use a global to force an opposing target character to attack, could my opponent then choose to use the Kitty Pride - Shadowcat global to avoid attacking since they cannot be forced to pay that cost?
    A: You can't force a player to pay a cost to be able to accomplish an action. If the player doesn't want to pay the life to attack with the character, they do not have to and the character then is unable to attack so ignores the forced attack ability.
    When a card makes a character/die/player do something, if that character/die/player cannot do that thing, the “cannot” wording overrides the “can”. Cable can't force the X-23 that can't block to be able to block for example. Mr. Fantastic or Phoenix couldn't force a character with the text, "This character can't attack," to attack.

So basically, if they want to field a sidekick while he's out, they can pay the cost, otherwise they don't get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormyknight View Post
    So basically, if they want to field a sidekick while he's out, they can pay the cost, otherwise they don't get one.
    Correct.