Thread: Article: Pretending to Know Stuff Vol.2

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries

Article: Pretending to Know Stuff Vol.2

I am not sure I understand the protection Man out of Time (While active, each time you take non-combat damage, deal 1 damage to an opponent.) provides against Vicious Struggle. If you take 5 damage from VS, your opponent only takes 1 correct? Assuming all five is from one source?

I figured Super Solider (While active, prevent all but 1 damage to you from any action or character abilities.) would be a better Cap in this instance, but I am not sure how it would work. Could VS only do one damage and then be nullified, or would it reduce each instance to 1 damage?

Quote Originally Posted by Joepancreas View Post
    I am not sure I understand the protection Man out of Time (While active, each time you take non-combat damage, deal 1 damage to an opponent.) provides against Vicious Struggle. If you take 5 damage from VS, your opponent only takes 1 correct? Assuming all five is from one source?

I figured Super Solider (While active, prevent all but 1 damage to you from any action or character abilities.) would be a better Cap in this instance, but I am not sure how it would work. Could VS only do one damage and then be nullified, or would it reduce each instance to 1 damage?
    If your VS damages me, my Man Out of Time damages you back. That causes your VS to damage me again, which causes Capt to damage you back, which causes your VS....etc. The game is suddenly over, and whoever had the most life when the whole mess started wins.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Java View Post
    If your VS damages me, my Man Out of Time damages you back. That causes your VS to damage me again, which causes Capt to damage you back, which causes your VS....etc. The game is suddenly over, and whoever had the most life when the whole mess started wins.
    Right. But @Joepancreas has a good point which I did a poor job of elucidating in the article. If your opponent can play Vicious Struggle and get ahead in life in the same turn, Cap actually kills you because of the cascade Cap and VS create. It makes me think someone will find a way to use the Treant global with Jinzo and this combination to do some neat tricks. With Jinzo, the Treant global is fairly one sided.

Fair points. One thing I will say is that the meta impact of Black Lanterns is probably even lower than your expectations. It's certainly a fun list, but why go to all the trouble when you can just sit on cheaper power cards? It also flat-out dies to prismatic spray because of the amount of ramp you have to maintain, not to mention all the wonderful globals you bring for your opponent.

That said, I absolutely love it and have the final chase rare in the mail on it's way to me now, so expect an update on the list soon! I've taken some time to improve it a bit. I highly recommend that anyone who can gives it a try. It's a ton of fun to be staring down your opponents entire team and knowing that you're going to have to fight back with 1-2 characters, a millennium puzzle and no chump blockers. Once wonder woman hits the board though, she needs an immediate answer or she will destroy your opponents field presence.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joepancreas View Post
    I am still curious as to how you would interpret Super Solider (While active, prevent all but 1 damage to you from any action or character abilities.) in regards to Vicious Struggle. Since the action is ongoing, would he reduce the damage to 1 for the whole turn, or one for each instance that VS would activate?

I am thinking that it would reduce each instance, but the fact that it is a continuous ability makes me unsure. Thoughts?
    I've been playing as each instance. As a prevent ability, it interrupts resolution of each instance of damage to take effect itself. Perhaps others would care to chime in a well?

Quote Originally Posted by Jthomash2 View Post
    I've been playing as each instance. As a prevent ability, it interrupts resolution of each instance of damage to take effect itself. Perhaps others would care to chime in a well?
    I imagine it would be each instance as well, based on how it is worded, but I can see how it could also be read to deal damage in a lump sum. It's definitely strong either way. If I had to rule it at an event, I would go with the each instance option, but it needs further clarification from the WKRF.

In other news, it combos nicely with anything that makes your opponent lose life, so it's harder for them to use it against you. The aforementioned Sinestro: Thall Sinestro of Korugar is a nice example of how we could build around it.

What exactly do you mean by "...with the delay of ASM?"

Quote Originally Posted by Adimantium10 View Post
    What exactly do you mean by "...with the delay of ASM?"
    ASM was delayed an additional week, and it could face even longer delays due to shortages.