Thread: Magic Helmet: Greater Gear a localized Prismatic Spray: Lesser Spell?

Magic Helmet: Greater Gear a localized Prismatic Spray: Lesser Spell?

I was playing a friend the other evening who decided to build a team around the Equip feature of the D&D set.

He brought Magic Helmet: Greater Gear & Magic Sword: Lesser Gear; all 6 of his characters had the Equip ability.

I had Gamora: Assassin "Gamora KOs each enemy die she deals combat damage to." block my opponent's character, to which a Magic Helmet equipped character says "I'm staying right here". (Correct?)
    This got me thinking: Deadpool Jack, sorry doesn't work; BEWD KO - not this time.

Once you roll the action side of the Magic Helmet it can be fielded even if there's no character to Equip it to, every time you field an Equip'able character you can reassign the Magic Helmet, when the character gets KO'd (only by combat damage) the Magic Helmet stays in the field available to the next fielded Equip'able character.

To deal with this action die we have the usual anti-action die cards & the specific Copper Dragon cards. But unlike most action die these last until their KO'd from the field rather than a single turn, and you could have 4 of them active!

Can anyone offer a strategy to counter this action die usage, or is this something we're likely to see more of? Especially with a 2nd D&D set on the horizon.

Also, as an aside am I correct in thinking that a character with Equip can have both a Magic Helmet & Magic Sword at the same time?

Thanks for any insights into this.

You are sort of correct, but also not.

The Helmet only prevents abilities that directly affect the equipped character.

So, this means it's not really a mini-Spray, because some abilities affect characters indirectly.

For example, there is a discussion over in a different thread about whether a character wearing the Helmet can block unblockable characters (or characters that have other similar restrictions on what can block them).

But these abilities don't directly affect the Helmeted character, so the Helmet does nothing in these instances.

Similarly Blue Eyes global asks you to KO a character as part of it's cost. This is not an effect of the global, and so the Helmet does not stop you from KOing that character.

Also, there is a common mistake in your understanding of how equipping a gear die works, as you describe it in your post.

Gear can only be equipped or re-equipped at the start of each turn, not whenever a character with the equip ability is fielded.

Oh, and, yes, you equip multiple gear items onto a single character.

A character could even wear multiple helmets or carry multiple swords.

However, the benefits imparted by gear does not stack with itself.

So a character equipped with two Magic Sword Lesser Gear dice would not get +2/+2.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamA View Post
    I was playing a friend the other evening who decided to build a team around the Equip feature of the D&D set.

He brought Magic Helmet: Greater Gear & Magic Sword: Lesser Gear; all 6 of his characters had the Equip ability.

I had Gamora: Assassin "Gamora KOs each enemy die she deals combat damage to." block my opponent's character, to which a Magic Helmet equipped character says "I'm staying right here". (Correct?)
    This got me thinking: Deadpool Jack, sorry doesn't work; BEWD KO - not this time.

Once you roll the action side of the Magic Helmet it can be fielded even if there's no character to Equip it to, every time you field an Equip'able character you can reassign the Magic Helmet, when the character gets KO'd (only by combat damage) the Magic Helmet stays in the field available to the next fielded Equip'able character.

To deal with this action die we have the usual anti-action die cards & the specific Copper Dragon cards. But unlike most action die these last until their KO'd from the field rather than a single turn, and you could have 4 of them active!

Can anyone offer a strategy to counter this action die usage, or is this something we're likely to see more of? Especially with a 2nd D&D set on the horizon.

Also, as an aside am I correct in thinking that a character with Equip can have both a Magic Helmet & Magic Sword at the same time?

Thanks for any insights into this.
    Scorpion is right, this is currently a new wonderful debatable topic. The other examples were clear cut in my opinion as the words can't and cannot were involved, but in this case...BEWD can only affect your guys so he is out. Deadpool and Gamora...they are interesting. I would like to say that their abilities still triumph, but this helmet would be an interesting way to counter them and this game is about strategies and counter-strategies (meaning no one card trumps all). Unfortunately, I would say this would require wizkids to clarify especially with a 2nd D&D set on the way. In the meantime, your local group will have to agree upon a ruling and anytime you play someone outside that group an agreement would have to be made.

The Helmet will definitely stop Gamora and Deadpool from targeting the character wearing it.