Thread: Timing for damage, all at once or per die?

Timing for damage, all at once or per die?

So I played someone playing tsarina tonight and had a few questions. I was playing Hulk Green Goliath and wondered how the timing would work. So he attacks with 3 Black widows. Do I take 2 damage, use Hulk, take 2 damage, use Hulk, etc? Or do I just take 6 damage use Hulk once?

Also he was playing Punisher that knocks out a character if I don't take 2 damage to my life. So can I take the 2 damage, trigger Hulk, do enough damage to knock out his 2 Punishers and not worry about blocking them?

What about assigning blockers then using BEWD global to KO the blocker because it would of KO'd the attacker and I did not want to do that.

So many questions so little time to find all the rules and understand them.

BTW is there a go to for the rules for each step? I have seen a flow chart once but can't remember where. Would be nice to have it printed up and laminated with exactly how things happen and what trumps what.

1st - I don't know if it has been officially clarified or not, but theoretically each Tsarina should be a different source and thus a different trigger. Keep in mind though that even if the first or second Hulk effect would KO all Tsarinas, their effects will still take place.

2nd - Punisher McRook is "paying life", not "taking damage". Hulk doesn't trigger.

3rd - After attackers and blockers are declared there is a window to play Global Abilities. If you were the defending player you could use BEWD to KO one of your blockers. The attacking character would still be considered "blocked" and wouldn't damage you (unless it had Overcrush).

Turn order - the back of the rulebook has a fairly decent guide.

"When attacking" effects are explicitly different instances and must be resolved in order. As such, you apply one Tsarina effect, take the damage, and trigger Hulk. However, Hulk must wait his turn since the active player's triggered effects must resolve before the inactive player's triggered effects. This happens twice more, once for each other Tsarina. Then, when all the "When attacking" effect have been completed, Hulk will resolve three times, once for each instance of damage you took from the individual Tsarina's.

Like @pk2317 said, "paying life" and "taking damage" are different effects. Paying life will never trigger "damage" based effects which is a leading reason why rare Jinzo is so powerful; the life loss he brings to the table is unable to be mitigated. Back to the original question, Hulk will not trigger from Punisher's effect, so you would still have to worry about blocking.

You are definitely able to KO your own blockers with the BEWD global after you declare them and stop the attackers. Even if you don't make a purchase with it, the global still knocks out your own character and so it works perfectly for this situation.

The order of a turn is pretty simple; the only complicated bit is the attack step (and arguably the cleanup step). It's not a graphic guide, but the exact order of the attack step was pretty clearly laid out in this thread if you want a quick list to draw upon.

Day 6: They still have not noticed that I'm not @Shadowmeld . The ruse is working...
    Last edited by Necromanticer; 11-09-2015 at 01:26 PM.

The only thing I would add to the excellent posts by @pk2317 and @Shadowmeld , above, would be to be aware that all attackers are assigned to attack simultaneously.

So, the player with the Tsarina's would assign them, and any other attackers, all at the same time, and only then would each copy of her ability resolve, one at a time.

It is this simultaneity that then causes the Hulk's responses to wait until all the Tsarinas' effects have resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    The only thing I would add to the excellent posts by @pk2317 and @Shadowmeld , above, would be to be aware that all attackers are assigned to attack simultaneously.

So, the player with the Tsarina's would assign them, and any other attackers, all at the same time, and only then would each copy of her ability resolve, one at a time.

It is this simultaneity that then causes the Hulk's responses to wait until all the Tsarinas' effects have resolved.
    TIL, Necro is my troll account.