Thread: Wonder Girl + "Opposing"

Wonder Girl + "Opposing"

If I have Wonder Girl (the one that redirects) and my opponent targets one of my TT with an ability that targets an "opposing" character (like the 5 cost Cerebro), can she redirect it to an opposing character (like her ability says) or does the target need to use the original requirements (and can't be redirected)?

What about something like Distraction which targets someone who is attacking?

Thanks.

As far as I know, she would be able to redirect it just fine. On page 20 of the Avengers vs X-Men rulebook (other rulebooks I'm sure have similar sections), there is a section called "Preventing and Redirecting", where it says this about redirecting (emphasis mine):
    When an effect is redirected, the target of the effect changes from its original target to the new one chosen as described in the game text, even if that target was not a legal one for the original effect
    So you get to pick a new target as described by the card giving the effect; in this case, Wonder Girl says that you can redirect it to "an opponent's character die", so that supersedes the original restriction.

I've been playing Wonder Girl with Ring of Magnetism... So many questions have been coming up.

If your opponent uses Magic Missile Global but does not have any characters fielded does it fizzle or damage Wonder Girl since there are no valid targets?

How does the Ultron Drone Global work if your opponent wants to use it. I think this is similar to your distraction question because the character you would redirect to are not in a valid state.

Global: Pay Double Fist. Choose an opposing character die to block a character die of your choice this turn.

I'm going to have to read up on the ruling dwilhelmi refereed to "even if that target was not a legal one for the original effect" that would answer it, but I guess that would mean that your opponent would play distraction and then you would assign one of his characters to not attack?

So i can come to the conclusion that the Ring of Magnetism just forces the player to choose for him the target, but doesnt redirect right?

Quote Originally Posted by CeeQue View Post
    I've been playing Wonder Girl with Ring of Magnetism... So many questions have been coming up.

If your opponent uses Magic Missile Global but does not have any characters fielded does it fizzle or damage Wonder Girl since there are no valid targets?

How does the Ultron Drone Global work if your opponent wants to use it. I think this is similar to your distraction question because the character you would redirect to are not in a valid state.

Global: Pay Double Fist. Choose an opposing character die to block a character die of your choice this turn.

I'm going to have to read up on the ruling dwilhelmi refereed to "even if that target was not a legal one for the original effect" that would answer it, but I guess that would mean that your opponent would play distraction and then you would assign one of his characters to not attack?

Wonder Girl cannot cause an effect to fizzle. If there are no opposing characters for her to redirect to, she cannot redirect in the first place. You have to choose the opposing die in order for her effect to be available.

The Ultron Drone global has a tacit "if able" attached to it like all "must" abilities. Since you cannot block your own characters, it will be effectively useless and just waste the opponent's energy.

Distraction is a pretty simple interaction. It is an effect "Remove [target character] from the attack zone." that has the targeting requirement of an "attacking character." Since you can legally target your own attacking Teen Titan, Wonder Girl can redirect the effect to a defending blocker without regard for the original targeting stipulation since her redirect only stipulates an opposing character.

Quote Originally Posted by Ressless View Post
    So i can come to the conclusion that the Ring of Magnetism just forces the player to choose for him the target, but doesnt redirect right?
    Ring of Magnetism is explicitly not a redirect. All it does is limits your opponent's valid targets to the equipped character for any effect that could normally target a character. It's for this reason that Lord of D. Ring causes effects to fizzle while Wonder Ring will not. Since Wonder Girl is a redirect, she must have an opposing character to offload the effect onto otherwise it simply goes through. Meanwhile, Lord of D. cannot be targeted by opposing abilities, making it so that your opponent has no valid targets and causing the effect to fizzle.

Quote Originally Posted by Necromanticer View Post
    Wonder Girl cannot cause an effect to fizzle. If there are no opposing characters for her to redirect to, she cannot redirect in the first place. You have to choose the opposing die in order for her effect to be available.

The Ultron Drone global has a tacit "if able" attached to it like all "must" abilities. Since you cannot block your own characters, it will be effectively useless and just waste the opponent's energy.

Distraction is a pretty simple interaction. It is an effect "Remove [target character] from the attack zone." that has the targeting requirement of an "attacking character." Since you can legally target your own attacking Teen Titan, Wonder Girl can redirect the effect to a defending blocker without regard for the original targeting stipulation since her redirect only stipulates an opposing character.

Ring of Magnetism is explicitly not a redirect. All it does is limits your opponent's valid targets to the equipped character for any effect that could normally target a character. It's for this reason that Lord of D. Ring causes effects to fizzle while Wonder Ring will not. Since Wonder Girl is a redirect, she must have an opposing character to offload the effect onto otherwise it simply goes through. Meanwhile, Lord of D. cannot be targeted by opposing abilities, making it so that your opponent has no valid targets and causing the effect to fizzle.
    HE LIVES!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    HE LIVES!
    Necromanticy never truly dies...

Sorry again for some other question ^^:

So when there is no Opposing Character she would be lets say KOd by Millenium Puzzle, since her ability is "may" , and we always try to do as much as possible for Abilities to be solved?

So you attack, your opponent blocks, they use Distraction on you, you redirect to their blocker. Does it remove the blocker...?

Quote Originally Posted by Sobolev View Post
    So you attack, your opponent blocks, they use Distraction on you, you redirect to their blocker. Does it remove the blocker...?
    Correct, the blocker would be removed from the attack zone (assuming you chose to redirect it to the blocking character). This would work just like the rare Atom's ability to remove himself from the attack zone when blocking a character of higher level. The character will leave the attack zone but stay in the field. The blocked character remains blocked, but overcrush damage will still go through.

Quote Originally Posted by Ressless View Post
    Sorry again for some other question ^^:

So when there is no Opposing Character she would be lets say KOd by Millenium Puzzle, since her ability is "may" , and we always try to do as much as possible for Abilities to be solved?
    If I'm understanding correctly, the situation described is like this:

You have a fielded common Wonder Girl with the uncommon Ring of Magnetism attached. Your opponent has no characters fielded and uses Millennium Puzzle on Wonder Girl.

In this case, Wonder Girl would be sent to the used pile. She has no opposing characters to redirect the Millennium Puzzle effect to, so she is unable to redirect it. Since she can't redirect it, she suffers the full effect and is promptly sent to used along with her Ring of Magnetism.

Having no characters out is currently the only way to "dupe" the Wonder Ring combo (or having your own Wonder Girl, but that makes an infinite redirection loop that completely breaks the game).

If I'm understanding correctly, the situation described is like this:

You have a fielded common Wonder Girl with the uncommon Ring of Magnetism attached. Your opponent has no characters fielded and uses Millennium Puzzle on Wonder Girl.

In this case, Wonder Girl would be sent to the used pile. She has no opposing characters to redirect the Millennium Puzzle effect to, so she is unable to redirect it. Since she can't redirect it, she suffers the full effect and is promptly sent to used along with her Ring of Magnetism.

Having no characters out is currently the only way to "dupe" the Wonder Ring combo (or having your own Wonder Girl, but that makes an infinite redirection loop that completely breaks the game).
    You NAIL IT with the best description(since i am lazy or sometimes irritated by myself to sum it up in short!)
    Thanks again!

I still believe Wonder Girl CS cannot redirect a redirect fromherself or sayed in a different way: Infinite Loop goes off like Hot Steam to the air.

Correct, the blocker would be removed from the attack zone (assuming you chose to redirect it to the blocking character). This would work just like the rare Atom's ability to remove himself from the attack zone when blocking a character of higher level. The character will leave the attack zone but stay in the field. The blocked character remains blocked, but overcrush damage will still go through.
    Wait wait wait a darn minute. I was just browsing along and noticed you mention Atom: Professor of Physics. So you mean to tell me that if I were to block with him and choose to remove him from combat, the block is still valid (preventing damage from getting through w/an exception to Overcrush) and Atom would not take any combat damage?!?

Now I am known to misunderstand text on cards the first time around but this makes Atom a tad more interesting if I'm now actually understanding his mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by BlckSpd View Post
    Wait wait wait a darn minute. I was just browsing along and noticed you mention Atom: Professor of Physics. So you mean to tell me that if I were to block with him and choose to remove him from combat, the block is still valid (preventing damage from getting through w/an exception to Overcrush) and Atom would not take any combat damage?!?

Now I am known to misunderstand text on cards the first time around but this makes Atom a tad more interesting if I'm now actually understanding his mechanic.
    Exactly correct. Dice Masters works off of a "once blocked, always blocked" system. Once a character has had a block declared against it, it will not deal damage directly to the opposing player regardless of what happens to its blocker. Because of this, character that leave the attack zone after declaring blocks like The Atom and Atom keep themselves safe and on the field while also stopping the attacker from getting through. This is ineffective against overcrush, but otherwise useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Anchorman70 View Post
    Can Wonder Girl spin down opposing character die when using the Polymorph global?

The following ruling points out that the energy cost is separate from the spin down/up effect.

http://wizkidseventsystem.com/bb/vie...hp?f=10&t=9916
    Yes.

WizKids doesn't know how their own rules work :\

Yes.

WizKids doesn't know how their own rules work :\
    But there are some cards where spinning down is a good thing, so clearly it's not a detrimental effect.

/s